Linkbait, stolen images, false claims

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, they're getting brazen - just saw one with a Surefire E1E picture.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a thread over on BLF of some members pitching in money to buy one of these magnificent G700 military lights as well as the 6 meco version so they can compare the two, do a disassembly of each and then do a youtube video showing how much a ripoff the G700 is. Their reasoning is to try and shed light on the scams these sellers pull on unsuspecting buyers.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh. While no doubt funny as all heck, trying to finance a counter-marketing campaign to an audience largely disinclined to do their own research seems like a waste of good money.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep seeing these G700 ads in news articles I read, too. About I week ago I saw my dad and he saw these ads and asked me about it. It's too bad because it probably has caused a lot of people to spend money on junk and lies just like the light Kestrel linked to on ebay.

Stream

Enlightened
Heh. While no doubt funny as all heck, trying to finance a counter-marketing campaign to an audience largely disinclined to do their own research seems like a waste of good money.

You're right that most probably won't do any research before buying a product like this, people already buy huge amounts of junk on impulse buys anyway. However, some may be curious to see just how bright it is, and do a quick google search. If a video from the folks over at BLF pops up showing what a complete rip-off it is, they'll at least have been warned. I would suggest using a title similar to the ads in order to have a better chance of showing up in the results when they do a search.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
This little zoomie really is becoming an epidemic, I have just about given up on flashlights from China by now.
The light itself is small and sleek, with various zoom settings and the coveted "strobe mode" and "SOS" that every one loves.
:banghead:

Now under the guise of "shadowhawk flashlight"
Here is a fake review page that is really under the same domain as the shadowhawk, using the stolen image in the op
https://shadowhawkflashlights.com/ss1/index.php?AFID=12&SID=GC
Take a gander at the fine print at the end of the page:
THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT AND NOT AN ACTUAL NEWS ARTICLE, BLOG, OR CONSUMER PROTECTION UPDATE.
:fail:
I have to admit that I almost thought it a real product until I saw the first picture. As you probably read earlier in the thread I have handled one of these lights myself, it broke in seconds of turning it on.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
While reading a politically related story there were other links to other politically related stories and a link to 'taking America by storm' smack dab in the middle of them...it was basically an info-mercial about the flashlight mentioned in this thread.

So yes, it seems somebody is making money off of it, otherwise it wouldn't be seen in so many places.

Stream

Enlightened
This is classic affiliate marketing. You can even see the affiliate IDs in some of the links posted in this thread (look for something like AFID at the end of the url). A sales letter made to look like a review is affiliate marketing 101. Given that the value of this light is only a few dollars, and yet often sold as high as 50 something dollars, the vendor can offer some very juicy incentives to an army of affiliate marketers. So the vendor is probably making heaps of money, while individual affiliates will make as much money as their marketing skills will allow.

In the past I would copy affiliate ID numbers from links in spam emails, and report them to the affiliate vendor for spamming. Depending on how shady or legit the vendor was, they would occasionally suspend the offending affiliate for violating their TOS. A vendor which sells dollar store lights at a premium likely falls on the shady side of the spectrum, and complaints would likely get no response. However, a big name threatening a copyright infringement lawsuit might get them to take action.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
My new Olight i3s-EOS Cu = brassy (AAA) light arrived today.

I research all flashlight purchases thoroughly, and never purchase impulsively.

So imagine my shock & disappointment when it arrived with no magnet.

I went back to two different websites and can no longer find the wording about the advertised tail magnet-- that was one key factor leading me to spend $24.95 for this light.

While this light is impressive and beautiful, I don't know whether to return it, or keep it, because of my fondness for AAA lights with magnets (d25aaa; lumintop tool, etc.)

What would you do if you purchased a light only to find one of its formerly described features missing from websites/dealers who were selling it?

nbp

Flashaholic
If you really like the light, I'd say epoxy a neodymium magnet to the tail and rock on. :)

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just came across this ad, it's terrible what people will believe.

The Ad it is terrible what they try to promote, sigh.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Just came across this ad, it's terrible what people will believe.

Yeah, I see TONS of them on Facebook. I do my best to comment/warn people that they are being had and point out cpf as a good resource point to help them learn.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, I see TONS of them on Facebook. I do my best to comment/warn people that they are being had and point out cpf as a good resource point to help them learn.
x2 to this. I also upload this picture of the same light package available on banggood for 15 bucks

Capolini

Banned

What a gimmick! They steal photos from a VINH type light to sell their $10 piece of crap!

I have also seen this before where they were posting pictures from a FENIX TK61 or something similar and claiming it was their light! :shakehead

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast

What I've been seeing a lot lately is the light bar a guy made (for his Jeep I believe) and lights up a hillside. Then it'll say "Over 75% off $250" I see you it a lot on Instagram. I'm just amazed that so many people believe that crap, even after several people keep calling bs.

Latest posts