LIONCUB UPDATE THREAD - PT. 3

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the movie is just a standard quicktime movie.. maybe you can right-click and 'save' first..

It's just a video of me holding up my 'extra special' VIP.. maybe i'll call it my 'VVIP'.. has 8 levels now with no change to the interface other than the dial turns full circle.. i haven't put on an 'index' yet so it's possible to mix up 'med' and 'low'.. but i really love the new choices of runtime v. brightness..

45 min.. and 1 1/2, 3, 6, 10, 17, 25 and 36 hr estimated.. i think they'll be longer actually considering the wow runtimes i've heard of with the VIP driver on lower levels.

that 20mm reflector is just stunningly beautiful.. it's enough throw to be serious and seems to have as much spill as the 17 (which of course is an illusion).. it's the nicest mix of long and short i've seen and will be beautiful in the cub... MB has the description 'dead-on'.

If as i suspect the cub will have U bin emitter.. it could easily be just as bright as the LH even with the shorter throw reflector talk about perfect timing for the change.. the brightness should be about the same in the center but more light around.. win-win solution... ps.. i think X1 is one of my favorite bins.. if you don't want that test one let me know i'll buy it from ya :-D

Too bad the LC head won't fit, i thought i saw that derivation on the head-swapping picture

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
>>just got off the phone with the machinist - they will send me the control modules (alone) as soon as they are anodized, and all laser etching will be done on the bezel or battery tube exteriors only!

Glorious. If I understand this correctly, then, we shall see the Cub's faster?

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a note that there are only 17 Black LionCubs left. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you want one, but still haven't put your name down, now is the time!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif For available numbers, please see the LionCub Ordering thread.

Weylan

Enlightened
Charlie!

Please don't get me wrong! I will be anxiously awaiting what you are building and please don't feel I took the tone of complaining. From your email I feel that you may have thought this. I was hoping for a way to get the extended runtimes if I was to combine this beautiful tool with the the candle head for an even better run time for more of a stationary portable light, if this make sense. I have a ton of AA nmih cells and I can charge those easily and they are plentiful. As it is, I charge AA cells from a solar panel that runs my networking in my office. So having a light that is portable and uses a standard battery like a numerous of my other devices, I was just dreaming of even more lego modularity.

I do love the look of the small form factor, so please don't feel offended. I was also asking because I see so many other people have made interchagable pieces, I was sort of hoping that someone would say, "Hey just order the tube from ...". But alas, it seems this is not to be...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
bmstrong, yes.

gregw, as always your constant diligence as listkeeper on this project is much appreciated.

Weylan, no biggie, I knew you weren't complaining, just voicing your preferences if such additions were going to be at all possible (BTW, which e-mail was this?). But I did say (somewhere?) that there might be a 3xAA tube one day, although it would make the light waaaay long. Or mebbe a stubby 3xAA side-by-side since the 3AA to D adapters are already offered by Wayne Johnson. But in order for either to become reality there would have to be enough general interest (at least hundred or two units) to make it all fiscally feasible.

Finally, it has come to light that certain tubes will Not fit certain control modules perfectly, although it would only be due to the boreseal-style o-ring (eg., the bottom inside lip of the LH control module is not chamfered to fully seal against a bore-mounted o-ring alá the LC's tube).

It would still work just fine this way, although the o-ring would be partially visible since the two parts could not be fully screwed together; however, if waterproofing is not an issue then the o-ring could simply be omitted when the light is assembled in this configuration.

It would be the same thing, vice versa-wise, when using an LH tube on the LC's control module. There is no 19mm x 2mm metric o-ring seated inside against the LC's circuit board, although one could be transferred there from the LH's module if water sealing was desired.

Clear as mud now, I hope.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

john_bud

Newly Enlightened
Mr. Bulk,

Either the Old Style PM-6 reflector only or the new style Reflector with bulb will work. While I did use the old style, I had the new with me at the lathe and it actually looked like it would require less machining as it is shaped more like the inside of the LH head. The new style was not used simply because the bulb was still good and I'm too cheap to waste it!

Oh, is there anythougt to a lion cub/heart AA tube?

John Bud

inluxication

Newly Enlightened
Minimalist that I am, I think it would be v. cool to have the etching on the bezel only, not even on the battery tube. But then I was the guy who wanted just ascii: serial number, MR Bulk, Made in Hawaii, but no logo. So everything I want could fit on the bezel, writ small.

I guess the decision's made now, but I wouldn't decide on the basis of speed. Sounds like they'll be out right quick no matter what.

Off topic, why "Mr Bulk"? Or rather, why MR Bulk?

Cones

Enlightened
It's Friday (Well it is here anyway)

So time for few more Questions on the ST's just for fun.

1.) Are they going to be machined?
2.) Are they going to be avaiable in the same colours as Cubs?
3.) Are we going to need a second morgage to buy them?
4.) Will they fit in my existing Lionheart Pouch?
5.) Do they need batteries?
6.) Can I contain my excitement for that long?
7.) Do I even want one? (I think the answer to this is BUY BOTH)
8.) Can we float these on the second hand market and retire on the proceeds?

Thanks
Mark

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
john_bud, on the AA tube please see my reply to Weylan in the post just above yours.

inlux, any immediately visible markings would indeed be minimalist in nature (lettering just around the top edge of the bezel); however, only when you turned the light over to look at the bottom of the tube would you see the LionCub logo:

Logo-Tiny.jpg

And it would be no more than about a ½" tall.

My CPF handle originated from an airgun hobby which describes a special way to fully charge very powerful, adult-oriented guns with CO2 (no tiny wimpy capsules like in kids' guns) that I became sort of known for, and this handle has simply endured over a span of several other hobbies dating back nearly a decade now...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Cones, you're a good man (with a Very Nice review site, BTW), so to answer your questions:

1) YES

2) NO

3) NO - unless your house is worth less than $200...

4) Hmmm - would hafta check on that one

5) YES - but singular, not plural

6) Depends on the individual

7) You'll need to buy a Cub to get an ST

8) LIKELY on the first part, and on the second part it is UN-likely you'll be able to retire on the proceeds - unless, again, you live in a place where houses cost less than $200.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hey Cones, for a moment there I thought you typed, "shinyl". It would have rhymed with the two preceding descriptive words..heh heh.

Catman10

Enlightened
Now that we know it requires a battery, smart money's on flashlight or sextoy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Radagast

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Catman10 said:
Now that we know it requires a battery, smart money's on flashlight or sextoy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe an electric nosehair clipper?

Mac

Newly Enlightened
A willy warmer with impregnated fluorescent nanobots to make your dongle glow?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
...brightnorm, you might be pleasantly surprised with the beam pattern. I guess a reassessment of sorts is in order regarding my personal feelings on what the "ultimate" beam pattern should be for all-round use. I almost exclusively use my lights at work (with some Low beaming for the 3 a.m. trips to the restroom) and aside from some testing into the black hole of the well-treed valley behind our home, throw has always been paramount to me. But with the availability of the LionHead then perhaps a semi-throw/flood, best-of-both-worlds (or amalgam as you put it) pattern is ideal. I think the 20.5mm provides that. But be warned, it is neither flood nor throw and just something in between, with perhaps some slight tendency towards the reach side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good to me!

BN

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Looks like competition is coming. From the foothills of Annapurna, original home of Bigfoot comes the logo of Himylayan Torchlight Industries' latest creation;

The Yeti Lite *

s0001202.jpg

*This, among other prints was promoted as an actual "Yeti" (Bigfoot equivalent) footprint. If you believe that, there's a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to....

BN

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Cat, yeah sex toy, YEAH! Please help keep the rumors flyin'...

Rad and Mac, no and no...it's a sex toy, haven't ya heard? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

BN, my pleasure. And yeah, THAT's the logo print I was lookin' for!

nirad

Enlightened
Obviously ST stands for Suede Toiletpaper!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

I would imagine that would feel as good as knowing what ST REALLY is???