Lithiums in Mini-mag

tygger

Enlightened
If i use AA lithium batteries in my mini mag will i get a reduced bulb life because of the higher output? And if so, by how much?
thanks

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
Myself I do not see any problem using lithiums in a regular mimimag, those bulbs are more foregiving in current and voltage than a LED version, besides lithiums have advantages that I know of here in Alaska, we use them all the time in the winter when its as cold or colder than minus 40°F.
Also is the ability to store it for years even, case in point is that many trappers way up north in the Alaskan bush (thats parts of the state WAY far from civilization)have what is called "caches", these are little mini-cabins built on poles up in the air away from bears and wolves to store furs, emergency fuel, food,clothing. So lithiums are definately a plus in that environment.

tygger

Enlightened
thanks for the reply daniel. yeah, i do a lot of backpacking, mostly in colder weather, so the temperature effect on battery life is a concern. also the increased run time. thanks.

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
Actually for backpacking you should have two lights, one of at least 120 lumens like a Surefire E2,C2,Brinkmann LX or my favorite the M2 Centurion plus having a good quality long run LED type of light that can give you at least 12 hours of light, the way things are adapting so fast somebody has an LED say with 4+ LEDs and still use lithiums, check out Cabelas for LED camping lights, IMHO this is about the best place to get reliable camping gear and they have recently added some new stuff like the Brinkmann LX that is more affordable than a Surefire and just as bright, also is the TEK LEd lights I think as well. They also have a spring sale going on.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aragorn:
eternalight is fantastic<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, but I've found those buttons too vulnerable to accidental turn on so I rigged up a "protector" for them.

BN

tygger

Enlightened
I agree daniel. When in the backcountry you can never have too many lights. I already have to ration which ones i take with me. Here's the updated list so far: Petzl zoom w/4.5 volt battery, mini-mag, inova X5, petzl tikka, bonfire tent light, photon light, oh, and a 3 candle, candle lantern. i wish i could decide between just two lights but i've had to use my backups a few times and i just feel better with a third or fourth backup. and it doesn't help my load that i'm a flashaholic.

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:
Agreed, but I've found those buttons too vulnerable to accidental turn on so I rigged up a "protector" for them.

BN
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have found one of my Eternalights on in my pocket several times; with only 2 or 3 LED's lit; it was powering down. But it's only a matter time before both buttons to keep it turned on until the batteries go dead get turned on accidentally.

What did you rig up to cover the buttons?
shocked.gif