Looking for a decent single AAA with a moonlight mode.

quest4_pfct_xxx

Newly Enlightened
Got a ThruNite Ti3 V2 that I am suddenly putting back into the rotation to use in moonlight mode, and would like to find something comparable. I think the moonlight mode in the Ti3 is something like 0.04 lm, which works very well for my particular application. It has been surprisingly durable for something that prob cost $10 a few years ago. Not looking to spend a lot, but of course, cheap is relative. (Not to be confused with cheap relatives.. ;)) I like the twisty switch, as I sometimes hold a flashlight in my teeth to work with both hands, and have had problems with tail switches failing. Anyone got any recommendations?

Attachments

• thrunite ti3 v2.jpg
    thrunite ti3 v2.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reylight lan AAA has a great moonlight and a clickie

For twistie…the tank007 E09 is excellent as is the thrunite

Last edited:

quest4_pfct_xxx

Newly Enlightened
Reylight looks like it is beautifully made, but pricey (by my standards). The Tank is more budget friendly (espec from AliExpress). Looks like the lowest setting is about 5 lm.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Got a ThruNite Ti3 V2 that I am suddenly putting back into the rotation to use in moonlight mode, and would like to find something comparable. I think the moonlight mode in the Ti3 is something like 0.04 lm, which works very well for my particular application. It has been surprisingly durable for something that prob cost $10 a few years ago. Not looking to spend a lot, but of course, cheap is relative. (Not to be confused with cheap relatives.. ;)) I like the twisty switch, as I sometimes hold a flashlight in my teeth to work with both hands, and have had problems with tail switches failing. Anyone got any recommendations?
Don't laugh, but depending on your usage, preferred battery type, etc, don't overlook the Photon offerings. If dim is what you want, it's got it. I don't know that I'd recommend the Photon Freedom for daily, extensive usage, but for a small light to put on a keyring and forget about, it can't be beat. Their Proton is also worth a look.

quest4_pfct_xxx

Newly Enlightened
Don't laugh, but depending on your usage, preferred battery type, etc, don't overlook the Photon offerings. If dim is what you want, it's got it. I don't know that I'd recommend the Photon Freedom for daily, extensive usage, but for a small light to put on a keyring and forget about, it can't be beat. Their Proton is also worth a look.
Def not laughing, (if it it durable). Keychain size is preferred, and I understand that I trade off max briteness. Since this may at times serve as a nightlight, the moonlight more is more important than max brightness.

I will now add to my criteria; looking for rechargeable. Could be AAA / 10440, or built-in with USB-C charging. Not looking to buy batteries. Also looking for something that stays lit, rather than only lighting whiled the switch is pressed. Not sure if a lot of the tiny keychain lights with coin batteries might work that way.

Apologies if I might be coming across as fussy, but I do genuinely appreciate everyone's input!

Mr. Flashlight

Newly Enlightened
Here is a good twisty light. Maratac AAA. 3 modes, 1.5 lumen moonlight

Link here

Your options are very limited. I would recommend purchasing Eneloop AAA or AA batteries whichever light you go with and a cheap external charger
I've got two of those and they are top notch, especially when using the diffuser that comes with it!(y)

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was gifted the red led model and I was impressed with the output and beam. Can't beat them for size and price

What is the Doug Ritter nose cone? Searches don't come up with anything but knives

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
You could try the olight I3T. It runs on a AAA and starts off in low. Which I believe is a few lumens, good enough for up close and limited light and double tap to high.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another possibility might be the Nitecore Tube. USB rechargeable and good Lows. But I agree with those who suggest the Marartac AAA too; it's an excellent all around AAA light.

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened
I can vouch for the Maratac AAA with Eneloops also. I got 2 black aluminum versions (for wife and daughter) and a Ti version for myself as a backup light. The Ti by comparison feels a little gritty when twisting on/off.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Manker E02 II is a single AAA with an angle head and clickie switch. It's got a very low moonlight mode (actually six levels). The lowest level is barely a glow. The high is about 300 lm. It seems to work best with NiMH batteries. Check out Lips review in thread "Smallest aaa torch/flashlight in 2023"

Geoff

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Also, take a look at the oLight i2R 2 Pro keychain light. It's USB-C rechargeable and definitely small enough for a keychain. It's not high CRI and it doesn't tail stand, but it's not bad.
Got one on the way for a friend, but think I'll play around with it for a couple hours before I mail it off. Amazing the way the whole landscape of available products has evolved in the last several years.