Looking for a flashlight with lowest mode

CDR_Glock

Newly Enlightened
Jetbeam TCR2: 0.003 lumens to 310 lumens. Adjusts with a magnetic ring.

My best and favorite light.

Fasdyadey

Banned
I recommend this one: WF-502B SSC P7 900Lumens 3Mode LED Flashlight(1x18650) , less than $30
and with the high quality and water-proof feature.

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
What's with all this lowest mode on flashlights nonsense. I think it's a little goofy. .2 lumen, .5 lumen, I have light with 2 lumen mode and think why would you want any lower than that! Maybe if your a vampire you might need .2 lumen light.

Is this a joke?

#1 lower modes have longer run times.

#2 lower modes allow you to preserve your night adapted vision

#3 if you already have night adapted eyes, especially if its pitch black, the low on most of these lights is utterly blinding.

The low on the T1A is the lowest I've seen, and even it is almost too bright for reading with night adapted eyes.

-Freq

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
What's with all this lowest mode on flashlights nonsense. I think it's a little goofy. .2 lumen, .5 lumen, I have light with 2 lumen mode and think why would you want any lower than that! Maybe if your a vampire you might need .2 lumen light.
Please stay out of threads you have nothing to contribute to. Before you come in and insult the OP and his request you should sit in the bleachers and learn a little.

When people talk about something that makes no sense to you, one of the two possible options is that they know something you don't, or at least have needs you wouldn't understand. There's plenty of threads that should be of interest to you so that you don't have to crap on other peoples threads.

afdk

Newly Enlightened
Please stay out of threads you have nothing to contribute to. Before you come in and insult the OP and his request you should sit in the bleachers and learn a little.

When people talk about something that makes no sense to you, one of the two possible options is that they know something you don't, or at least have needs you wouldn't understand. There's plenty of threads that should be of interest to you so that you don't have to crap on other peoples threads.

I'll make one more comment on this subject and end it at that. Looking at the major flashlight manufactures in the USA, (Surefire), (Pelican), (Streamlight) and (Underwater Kinetics), they don't seem to care to make light with .005, .1, .2 lumen....etc. Police and Military don't seem to require those extremely low levels to preserve their night vision!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe when you are married you would understand how useful that 0.2 lumen would be, especially when getting out of bed in the middle of the night without crapping your wife out. Maybe you are already married but have no sense of consideration for your wife when getting out of bed at night? Who knows? But like what Kaichu Dento said, the OP probably know something you don't.

DREW297

Newly Enlightened
Not to mention...I check on my son with a low level light so as not to disturb his sleep. Shining a 3-5 lumen light on a baby will sure as hell wake him and mom up and then i'll be on the couch. Low lumen count may not be needed in the military because they can shoot those they **** off with 100 lumen surefires. I myself cannot. and to contribute, budda, I use a preon 2 on low with diffuser. I works for me

afdk

Newly Enlightened
If I offended any one on this site with my commets concerning (lowest lumen output) for a flashlight, I apologize.

CKOD

Enlightened
The Nitecore IFE2 goes down quite low, is $115 on Lightjunction, a tad overbudget, and from my calibrated eyeball comparison is about 1mA on its lowest setting, brighter then my diode check setting on my multimeter which measures at ~600uA, and dimmer than another XP-G hooked upto a nice supply set to 2mA constant current. You have to be in pretty much complete dark to even see the hotspot from it when its on.

vali

Enlightened
Sure... Why a guy in the military would want a flashlight that can let him be unnoticed? We all know they all need to show themselvest to scare the enemy off, thus they will always need big amount of lumens. Reading a map at night in a cover op? Bring on the retina burner!. Runtime? Why? Less bullets/equipment and more batteries!!

That's probably the reason why the Titan is just another chinese made xxxFire flashlight

[/sarcasm]

For me an useable low means "the amount of light you can use in a movie theater to check your ticket without annoy anyone in the middle of the show".

afdk

Newly Enlightened
Sure... Why a guy in the military would want a flashlight that can let him be unnoticed? We all know they all need to show themselvest to scare the enemy off, thus they will always need big amount of lumens. Reading a map at night in a cover op? Bring on the retina burner!. Runtime? Why? Less bullets/equipment and more batteries!!

That's probably the reason why the Titan is just another chinese made xxxFire flashlight

[/sarcasm]

For me an useable low means "the amount of light you can use in a movie theater to check your ticket without annoy anyone in the middle of the show".

I agree, I have a Fenix LD01S, I use medium, (22 lumen), since that's the first mode, it's fine in a movie theater!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
If I offended any one on this site with my commets concerning (lowest lumen output) for a flashlight, I apologize.
No one minds if you don't see any use for super low modes but particularly in a thread where the OP is obviously showing an interest in the subject at hand it is nice to at least address the subject without any unnecessary slights to the OP and those in agreeance.

Maybe you'll never place any value on ultra low modes, but I hope you can someday understand a little better why some of us do like them so much.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are great comparison photos!

Thank you :)

I agree, I have a Fenix LD01S, I use medium, (22 lumen), since that's the first mode, it's fine in a movie theater!

A movie theater has way more ambient light than most of the situations others have depicted (middle of the night around the house, etc.) as uses for < 1.0 lumen.

Last edited:

edc3

Enlightened
The 120 lumen HDS is $99. Not the lowest out there, but plenty low and IMO a great light for the money.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I had another comment about the variable RRT-0, regarding those wanting the "lowest low" possible.

Someone in another CPF thread mentioned that the SureFire F05 (red 1") filter fits the bezel of this JetBEAM perfectly (thanks much! but I don't remember where I saw that). I couldn't find the exact transmittance of this filter, but I would guess maybe 10%. With the RRT-0 on minimum output (0.003 lumen) x 0.1 transmittance, output equals ... zero ??? Seriously, I cannot even SEE the LED in the dark through the filter, looking straight at it point-blank with night-adapted vision.

I think that this should really solve most any practical issue for lowest low output. Admittedly, it requires an extra accessory (and doesn't extend the run-time, of course), but it does drop the output nicely and the variable ring provides really excellent fine control with the filter on.

phonoe

Newly Enlightened
Thrunite Neutron series. It's got the lowest low mode and a very powerful turbo mode as well.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you mean that the lumen specified from each brand is not up to the same standard?
Can you tell me the lumen rating for the lowest low in the Neutron series? According to BatteryJunction's website, it says 0.1 lumen for the 2 CR123 version and 0.09 lumen for the single AA version. Both numbers are still far from 0.003 on the new Jetbeam RRT-0 infinite variable brightness. I have compared the RRT-0 to my HDS clicky at 0.07 lumen and it is much dimmer than the HDS clicky. In fact, it is so dim I would say it is almost useless unless one is using it to read a document way up close. Is the Thrunite Neutron even lower than the HDS clicky's 0.07 lumen?