Looking for high intensity LED weapon light

Mattole

Newly Enlightened
Greetings everyone,

My first post here. I'm looking for a powerful LED light that I can mount on my ranch rifle for investigating the chicken coop predators that have been coming around lately. I am wondering what you would recommend that has the greatest lumen output, a focusable beam, and decent CR123A battery life. I have read good reviews about the Browning Tactical Hunter 210L - do you have any opinion of this light or something better? Thanks.

N/Apower

Enlightened
I would go with a Surefire 6P in an LT606 mount (Vltor is a cheaper/more economical option) utilizing a Z59 clicky cap (the G2 with aluminum head is a waste of time. It weighs within a coupld of ounces the same as the 6P and doesn't heat sink as well. Skip it.) and either a Malkoff M60W, Dereelight single-mode Q5A3 with a SMO reflector, or a Lumensfactory D26 warm(select) bin R2.

I currently run a Malkoff and it would do what you want for 0-50 yards with iron sights (ever shoot with irons at night? Tough) and around 100 yards with good optics (assuming you run a setup with something having quality glass and a large pupil exit dia. like the RCO ACOG I am running. Nightforce, US optics, IOR, also have great glass).

Recently, I ordered the 1.2A version of the Dereelight Q5A2 drop-in with SMO reflector. I am hoping for a tighter hot-spot with this than with my Malkoff.

Get single-mode. You do NOT! want multi-mode for a weapon as sometimes under recoil the module *may* lose contact for a millisecond or so with the batteries...all it takes to bounce you on-off from mode to mode. Junk. Great for handheld, not for a weapon.

GreyShark

Enlightened
My situation is very similar to yours. I also have to contend with wild boar, rather destructive if not kept in check. Anyway I agree that a 6P with mount is the most cost effective solution for a high quality weapons light. For around $150 you can get a 6P body, high output p60 LED drop in of your choice and the mount. The resulting light will outperform pretty much anything you can buy stock, even for a lot more money.

Since I have more money than sense I'm building a custom Surefire Scout Light from parts. It will be cool but aside from a few aesthetic things not really any better than the 6P weapon light. In fact one of the customizations I'm working on is converting the Scout Light to accept p60 drop ins.

Mattole

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. Any idea how many lumens and how long of a run time I would have with the modified Surefire 6P?

I am still intrigued by what I have read of the Browning Tactical Hunter as well - they say it puts out 210 lumens with a runtime of 2.5 hrs. Sounds good!

N/Apower

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. Any idea how many lumens and how long of a run time I would have with the modified Surefire 6P?

I am still intrigued by what I have read of the Browning Tactical Hunter as well - they say it puts out 210 lumens with a runtime of 2.5 hrs. Sounds good!

Sounds like BS to me.

With a SF 6P producing 180-230 lumens (180 assuming a "warm" LED as they are less efficient and 230 assuming a Malkoff) you will get 70-100 minutes of regulated run-time depending on battery type.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind, it doesn't say it puts out 210 lumens for the entire 2.5 hour run time.

The overall light may function for 2.5 hours, but your best output will be a fraction of the overall run time, if I had to bet money.

-Trevor

Mattole

Newly Enlightened
I sure came to the right place - you all really know what you're talking about!

Where would you suggest that I purchase the components for a Surefire 6p with Malkoff setup?

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The better way to go is to get the Solarforce L2 flashlight host, 1 extension tube, and the pressure switch combo. All Solarforce parts. You can put the Malkoff M60 in that and run it on 2 X 17500 Lithium Ion rechargeables that will give you at least 2 full hours at full power and then a lot more after that.

You can get it all at Lighthound.com, works great. It will slide into all the same mounts that the Sure Fire takes as its the standard 1" diameter tube, rugged aircraft grade aluminum, I have had 5 or 6, still have at least 4, use them for various modules. I have at least 4 Malkoff pills, bulletproof.

If you go with the 2X17500 battery type get the battery magnets from lighthound as well. Very good to snug them up and prevent momentary glitching during fire.

You can also run 3X CR123 primaries and also still get great runtime if you don't like rechargeables.

Rattlebars

Newly Enlightened
Might not be up your alley, but I use the NiteCore EX10 on my > XD-9 Sub-Compact. 130 lumens in a little package 2 hours on max. Weighs just ounces so I was able to mount it using merely a single Picatinny scope mount. Very light and very light. Just the ticket for a small gun. Above the EX10 is a Laserlyte SC V2 laser sight. 1" x1" x.5" and also very light. If one buys a Rotating Picatinny Rail Belt Clip, you've got a hands free flashlight too.

side-las-lite-turnedon.jpg

front-las-lite-darke2r.jpg

> <

Mattole

Newly Enlightened
MrGman -

That Lighthound site is AMAZING. However I did not see the Malkoff bulb there - do I need to get it elsewhere?

Thanks everyone for this input - it's very educational!

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the Malkoff comes from the malkoffdevices.com website. Everything else, Solarforce accessories, batteries, battery magnets comes from Lighthound.com.

Mattole

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again, MrGman. While I'm at it, do you have a recommendation for a 900+ lumen hand held rechargeable flashlight?

BMF

Enlightened
Am I the first to say :welcome:?

BTW, the cheapest way is buying Solarforce L2 with 18650 body and one more 18650 extension. Also check the sticky to find the P60 drop ins at DX with a few are very bright and good reviews.

The more expensive one is Surefire P60 with Malkoff drop-in and you can buy the 2 x 18650 extension from Fivemega: this is a quality setup.

Running 2 x 18650 is not in your request but you will get a very, very, very long run time.

ambientmind

Enlightened
Thanks again, MrGman. While I'm at it, do you have a recommendation for a 900+ lumen hand held rechargeable flashlight?

I was thinking this for you in the first place, and some duct tape to mount it to the gun :laughing:. But it might work better for your rechargeable option with some AW cells from lighthound. Not quite 900 lumens, but plenty bright!

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Be more specific as to what you really need or looking for. Rechargeable as a flashlight, as in don't take out the batteries just plug the whole light into a charger? Specific size range, like the same size as a SureFire 6P or 9P or a Maglight 4C cell, or ???

I have not yet found the 900 Plus lumen light that I want for myself yet, but I have the 750 Lumen Malkoff Triple drop in a Maglight 4C unit that is working rather well. Using 4 each Tenergy 5 Amp/Hour batteries, I get over an hour run time and its not that bad weight and size wise.

Solarforce does have a LM900MP7 type light with 2X18650 battery type drive that I would consider. Since Lighthound.com sells it with a great warranty, if I wanted that type of light that is what I would consider. Its 900 lumens.

Last edited:

Mattole

Newly Enlightened
The rechargeable 900 or so lumen flashlight I am looking for to use while walking around the ranch at night. I am thinking rechargeable as in recharge batteries. The LM900MP7 light that you mention looks just about right in terms of size.

I probably should have started another topic for my last question.. sorry about that.

In the meantime I think I have found the solution for my weaponlight through the suggestions here and I will build one with the Solarforce L2 and the Malkoff components.

Many thanks.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rechargeable 900 or so lumen flashlight I am looking for to use while walking around the ranch at night. I am thinking rechargeable as in recharge batteries. The LM900MP7 light that you mention looks just about right in terms of size.

I probably should have started another topic for my last question.. sorry about that.

In the meantime I think I have found the solution for my weaponlight through the suggestions here and I will build one with the Solarforce L2 and the Malkoff components.

Many thanks.

I will of course need to help sight it in and test fire it say about 500 rounds worth to make sure you did it right.
Of course. :naughty:

Mattole

Newly Enlightened
It is going on my M1 carbine with holosight, which is WAY fun to shoot..

Hey by the way I am wondering now if I can fit the Dereelight DBS V3 on my M1 - now THAT seems like a great thrower..