Looking for S&R High continuous lumen flashlight

Gindu

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I require your assistant picking out a light. I am open to a wide range of flashlights from custom builders to off the shelf. I would prefer a high quality flashlight that is machined excellent and is dependable. What I am looking for is the highest lumen output search light that remains at that output for the life of the battery or until thermal step-down is activated. Preferable one that lasts 20+ minutes before step-down. I know a lot of lights have turbo mode that step down considerably in output after only a few minutes. I need the light to sustain the output. For example 3500 lumens until battery is depleted or more. I sometimes am searching for small objects in the woods or open fields.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Here's a few lights I am looking at:
Fenix RC40 (This light maintains 3500 lumens until the battery is depleted. Not a huge fan of the proprietary battery pack but I could deal with it. LED's are kind of dated now.)
Fenix TK75 or TK75vn (How long does the light maintain Turbo before stepdown?)
Eagletac MX25L4C (I am alittle leary of Eagletac due to the swivel head interface. Is this prone to failure?)
Fire Foxes FF4 (I am not against HID but I would prefer LED. This light is a continuous 5000+ lumens until the battery is dead.)

I am open to other lights. Just listed those for examples.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

__x__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
__x__Up to $300. (Potentially up to $400)

3) Format:
__x__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
__x__LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.

5) Emitter/Light source:
__x__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
__x__HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)

6) Manufacturer:
__x__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
__x__I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?
__X__I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
__X__I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack. (Possibly)

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
__X__I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
__X__I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
__X__Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
__X__Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
__X__Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
__X__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
__X__150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
__X__30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
__X__I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
__X__I don't care.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
__X__I don't care.

15) Water resistance
__X__IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions
__X__Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

Amelia

Enlightened
I can't comment on the other lights, but the EagleTac MX25L4C interface is rock solid. I have 2 of their lights (MX25L4C and MX25L3C) and they both use the same twist-head design. I've used them both a lot (Especially the L3C) and changed modes a lot. They've both worked flawlessly.

For a high output light with plenty of both flood and throw, I don't think you can go wrong with the MX25L4C - it's an amazing light that's brighter than it has a right to be, considering its size.

If you want more throw (at the expense of lumens, flood, and weight), take a look at the Thrunite TN32 - it's my throw KING... really amazing. Not as much area illumination or floodiness as the MX25L4C, but it REALLY projects light out there! The nice thing about both lights is that they both have useful low modes too... for when you're walking back to camp and runtime is more important than output.

P.S. I'm an outdoorswoman, not in S&R - so I'm not certain of your exact requirements. For general outdoors night hiking type tasks, though, I prefer the MX25LC4 over the TN32. I find that the lower weight, more compact size, and floodier wide spill pattern are all generally more useful to me than the increased throw of the TN32. You might actually need throw more for search tasks though - I don't know.

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have experience with both the TK75 and the TK75vnkt, and they are both great as well. I prefer the modded version, but I also don't typically keep mine on turbo for as long as possible. I believe that if you're in a fairly temperate environment then the modded version will stay on turbo the whole time, but more details are on the thread specifically addressing the TK75vn. There is a user there (Capolini? Not sure if I spelled that correctly, sorry!) who has used his TK75vn and some other monster lights for long walks on a daily basis for a long time, and some of his experiences will probably help you make your decision. I think he likes to use turbo mode as long as possible outdoors and can give you a better idea about under what conditions these lights hold up without needing to step down.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the Olight SR95S-UT, Fenix TK75 in both stock and Vinh modified form, the Nitecore TM36 and Surefire Hellfighter HID light.

The only light that doe not step down from the maximum power level is the Hellfighter. A custom Zipply pack or a BB2590 battery will power the Hellfighter for over an hour.

The TK75, 2900 lumen version steps down after 15 minutes or so, but you can hit the button again and get turbo right back. IMO, the light stepping down should be looked at as a way to keep your light from future led failure. The modified TK75vnKT puts out more lumens in high than the stock TK75. Vinh modifies the light by adding additional heat sinking material, so overheating isn't as much if a issue. Also, you can use the Fenix AER-75TK extended run-time kit which gives more than double the stock configuration run time.

Gindu

Newly Enlightened
I have it narrowed down to 2 lights now after doing a lot of reading....

Fenix TK75vn: Love the versatility of this light as well as the interface. From reading this light has very good cooling properties and a great combination of flood and throw. I like the fact that I can add more carrier to extend runtime and use my own cells

Eagletac MX25L4C: Seems like great output and good combo of flood and throw. Cheapest of the bunch. Not as versatile as the TK75.

Last edited: