M4, or M6?

bwcaw

Enlightened
If you had the option, which would you buy? I know most of you are going to say M6 reflexively, but consider this: the M6 uses 6 batteries to do the same job as the M4. They both will put out
between 225, and 250 lm. for an hour, but the M4 does it using 2/3 the batteries. Correct me if I am wrong (I probably am) but why is the M6 so popular, and the M4 so hated when you can save money by running the M4? This doesn't make sense.
confused.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go the M4 way because it's smaller (yeah I know this sounds stupid) I can try and use the M4 to clobber someone or something, but I don't if I can use the M6 for the same task.

bwcaw, the M6 can run at 500 lumens for 20 mins, the M4 can run at 500 lumens for 2-3 mins.. big difference, depending on which is your need (500 lumens vs 250-225 lumens) you can choose your lights wisely..

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M4 is longer than the M6 too. The M4 will run for 1 hour at 225 lumens but I can guarentee you that it will begin to yellow and dim before the M6 will on 6 cells. The M6 will burn brighter for longer than the M4.

Having said that, I do really like the M4, there's nothing wrong with it if your using the LOLA. But the M4 LOLA is very oval. If you plan on using the HOLA, the M6 does a much better jub with 6 cells than the M4 will with only 4.

Plus, you can run the M6 on only 3 cells and use the N2, MN15 or MN16.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M6 is 250L the M4 225L this does not seem like a lot but it is a noticeable difference. I also like the feel of the M6 much better, it is the perfect fit for my hand. If you have tasks that don't require as much light you can also run the M6 on three batteries and a N2 at 105L to save those costly little 123's.
smile.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Being a past owner of each (and still owning the M6), I perfer the M6 over the M4. The M4 was to skinny and long for me. It didn't feel good in my hand. The M6 feels much better and I can grip it with better ease. As far as the beam, you can not beat that M6 with the MN21. It's truely a work of art. One other factor with the M6, is you can run the M6 with 3-cells and use the N2 lamp assembly. It makes the M6 truely a nice light to have.

bwcaw

Enlightened
Thanks guys. I think maybe an M6 is in my future.(I just need to save some money:D)

BTW I already have the 12Z, and it has the MN61 in it I think, and it is quite bright, but how much brighter is the 500 lm. m6 lamp? How much farther does it throw? Also, how do you use three cells in the M6? Thanks

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by bwcaw:
....BTW I already have the 12Z, and it has the MN61 in it I think, and it is quite bright, but how much brighter is the 500 lm. m6 lamp? How much farther does it throw?......
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">bwcaw,

The M6 w HOLA throws an overwhelming "wall of light" a moderate distance. It is not meant to be a true ditance light despite its "turbo" look. The D3 w SRTH 2.5" turbohead & N2 lamp throws much further, but with a much smaller beam.

The MN61 is a 350 Lumen lamp for the M4. I own the M6 but resisted buying an M4 because I made my own "poor man's" version of it. D3 plus A-19 extender plus SRTH turbohead and four a23's. This produced a VERY powerful long throw beam, with a hotspot almost twice the size of the D3 + N2. I don't know if the regular M4 throws as far, depending on which head it uses. Please check on that with other Flashaholics.

BTW, the M6 looks and feels like no other flashlight. It almost seems like a piece of sculpture with its carved exterior. It is beautifully balanced and tiny, just about the size of a healthy 2D light. However, as Brock said: "It's like holding a piece of the Sun in your hands".

Brightnorm