Mag changed their incan bulb!

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Tonight's minimag update after 5 more minutes of use:

The bulb holder that sits directly atop the batteries has nearly zero deformation.
The bored out retaining ring looks like wax, and it made contact with the base of the reflector.
The base of the reflector has completely deformed, and the fins no longer are able to provide pressure on the retaining ring to turn the light off.
The bulb opening of the reflector has completely melted around the bulb, and there appears to be no way to even get the bulb out without damaging it.

The only good news is that I've probably put close to an hour of run time on the bulb in short bursts over the past week, and there is no visual blackening.

Time to do a WTB for an Auroralite methinks, unless anyone has suggestions for another approach I can take...

1pt21

Enlightened
Tonight's minimag update after 5 more minutes of use:

The bulb holder that sits directly atop the batteries has nearly zero deformation.
The bored out retaining ring looks like wax, and it made contact with the base of the reflector.
The base of the reflector has completely deformed, and the fins no longer are able to provide pressure on the retaining ring to turn the light off.
The bulb opening of the reflector has completely melted around the bulb, and there appears to be no way to even get the bulb out without damaging it.

The only good news is that I've probably put close to an hour of run time on the bulb in short bursts over the past week, and there is no visual blackening.

Time to do a WTB for an Auroralite methinks, unless anyone has suggestions for another approach I can take...

Wonder how it would work out in a full sized mag (C-D cell)..

Esp the TL-3. Hmmm...

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Wonder how it would work out in a full sized mag (C-D cell)..

Esp the TL-3. Hmmm...

My totally subjective response is that the plastic in the new socket and retrofit kits seems a little more robust than the plastic used in the minimag. Also, since the bulb opening is so much larger, the reflector may not deform as well. And even though the legs of the TL-3 bulb are a little shorter than the maglite bulbs, it still fits and functions just fine.

1pt21

Enlightened
My totally subjective response is that the plastic in the new socket and retrofit kits seems a little more robust than the plastic used in the minimag. Also, since the bulb opening is so much larger, the reflector may not deform as well. And even though the legs of the TL-3 bulb are a little shorter than the maglite bulbs, it still fits and functions just fine.

Well, looks like it's time to order up some more TL-3 bulbs. All of mine are currently installed in FM sockets (RIP..) and Scorpions :candle:

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Well, looks like it's time to order up some more TL-3 bulbs. All of mine are currently installed in FM sockets (RIP..) and Scorpions :candle:

I'd try one out first to make sure the plastic socket can handle the extra heat before ordering a bunch of them :) i thought the minimag could handle it and...whoops!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

bridgman

Enlightened
I picked up one of the new bulb kits for my 2C incan Maglite with NiMH batteries. Promptly lost the old bulb so haven't done any real back-and-forth testing but seems to give a noticeable improvement in throw. Main change seems to be a smaller and more intense hotspot, but it also seems whiter with a bit more total output than the stock bulb.

So far it seems well worth the $$. I can now clearly see the far side of a road ~200 feet from my house which just wasn't happening with the old bulb.

There are at least a half dozen Maglites in the house so you'd think it would be easy to find an unmodified 2D for comparison, but no... they all have funny bulbs in them, most of them have upgraded reflectors, and for the life of me I can't remember which bulb is in which light any more...

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 2D or 2C with a 5mm white LED stuck into this socket would make a great light that would have a runtime of about a year, putting out 0.1-5 lumens.

darkknightlight

Enlightened
I've had a 5mm nichia gs in my 2d for the last two months. It gets used as a night light about ten hours straight every night of the week. It puts off what looks like 10-15 lumens, and the batteries still read 1.48 volts each on my dmm. In addition, the big reflector can focus the light really well.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
I picked up a 4 cell retrofit kit with bulb at Home Depot. Gonna try it out in my 5D MagLite.

Last edited:

mesa232323

Enlightened
Today I cut down my first mag to install 1 AW 18650 3400mah cell and ran the stinger bulb for 20 minutes at all angles to try and melt the MagLite bi-pin holder. Here are the photos after the test. Mag holder still intact. I have a Strion bulb on its way and will conduct the test later this week.

8511398586_fd76bafbd5_b.jpg
[/URL] IMG_3167 by flashaholic1, on Flickr[/IMG]

8511399246_c6a46c281e_b.jpg
[/URL] IMG_3170 by flashaholic1, on Flickr[/IMG]

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Awesome!!! Thanks for doing some possibly destructive tests of the new equipment!!

mesa232323

Enlightened
Ran a Strion bulb in the MagLight brand bi-pin holder for 30 minutes doing a tail stand, laying flat and standing on the head for a stress test. I did smell a slight burning smell after I removed the Mag head, but nothing was discolored, deformed or damaged in the process. Note: I ran the stinger bulb in the stock reflector without melting. # [I

This bulb is not meant for this holder but it does work, notice the bend in the pins to fit.
MG] IMG_3180 by flashaholic1, on Flickr[/IMG]

8513675365_e6e7a5b9c2_b.jpg
[/URL] IMG_3184 by flashaholic1, on Flickr[/IMG]

8513673915_3107684fc9_b.jpg
[/URL] IMG_3179 by flashaholic1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Compared to a WA1185 bulb. Yeah that's not gonna work!
8514788982_c799ee5979_b.jpg
[/URL] IMG_3187 by flashaholic1, on Flickr[/IMG]

1pt21

Enlightened
Eeeeeeexcelent. Thank you for all of the useful info and stress tests fellas.

PLEASE keep it coming, I've got some ideas in mind once I finally order up some bulbs...

This upgrade seems to be exciting for only a few of us, but count me in as one!

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2-D Mag that originally had the Luxeon LED, but PR bulbs work in it. I saw one of these new bulbs at Lowe's for less than $3, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I have misplaced the PR bulb that came in the tailcap, but this is quite bright. It has a pleasant tint, and excellent color rendition, being an incan bulb. I nudged the bulb in the holder a few times and got it centered pretty well, though I think I may be able to center it a bit more. It actually throws quite well. I'm not sure if it's the tint, but it seems to throw further than the Luxeon LED. I also have the Terralux LED, which is a bit brighter than the Luxeon. I think the Terralux LED is certainly brighter than this, but the new incan seems to throw further. It may be a percieved throw as the spot has a really bright center.

It doesn't compare to the Cree XP-E 2-D Mag, though, which is far brighter and has good throw, but I like them both. I'm glad Mag is offering new incan bulbs. I love LED's but lately I've been appreciating good incans more and more.

Maybe they will upgrade their Minimag bulbs. I bought an new incan Mini-mag with no intention of converting it to LED. I just wanted a "classic" Mini-mag. I'm not sure why, but there is something comforting about it.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
So these things can take some heat?

I picked up a 4 Cell Kit and will try it in the 5D MagLite with D Cell Alkalines.

Brigadier

Enlightened
Yet another collaboration between engineering and marketing to control more of residual sales. If you sell a flashlight and most people only buy a couple of them a life time, and the only thing that really wears out/ gets replaced is the bulb... Make more expensive, highly specialized bulbs of which you are the only supplier. Pretty slick, huh?

Exactly what Gillette did years ago with razors. The old Gillette brass 'New', 'Tech', 'Fatboy', 'Slim Adjustable', and Super Speed all lasted a lifetime or two. And anyone's DE blades fit. So, they came up with the proprietary cartridge shaving system to make $$$.

FSt

Newly Enlightened
Are there still no news about where to buy single spare bulbs (Xenon Mag Num Star II)?

1pt21

Enlightened
Yet another collaboration between engineering and marketing to control more of residual sales. If you sell a flashlight and most people only buy a couple of them a life time, and the only thing that really wears out/ gets replaced is the bulb... Make more expensive, highly specialized bulbs of which you are the only supplier. Pretty slick, huh?

While your statement may be partially correct, I disagree with the "highly specialized bulb" (it's a simple bi-pin bulb here, I mean there's really LESS to it than a PR flanged bulb). Also, more expensive? I got my kits (many of them LOL) from my local Home Depot priced at $2.99 each. That's one bulb and one holder. Honestly it seems cheaper to me than the ol' MagnumStar "upgrade" bulbs.

I'll be honest though, I'm just happy that there's a company out there that is still upgrading their incan line (so my statements are admittedly most likely biased). It just happens to be a company as large as Mag.

At any rate, I'll be sure to stock up on enough of these bulbs to last me a long time while they are at this price.