Magicshine, Lupine, .. any other typical brands?

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,
i know that Klarus and Niteye (both known Chinese brands among flashaholics of portable LED flashlights) produce bike lights too. Please could you guys name a couple of noteworthy bike light brands/manufacturers and characterize them with 2-3 sentences? I came across Lupine (probably too expensive for my liking) but dont have any idea about Magicshine.

Just off the top of your head, spontaneously. ( i am sure that bike forums would be the optimal place to ask the same question.. but i dont wanna go there )

Thanks!

Leoht

Flashaholic from Mars
Check out Baja Designs they make some great mountain bike lights and motorcycle helmet lights. I personally have the Baja designs double stryke.

The double stryke has 2 XML in twin reflectors delivering 1800 lumens, good thermal management, the strongest mountaing brackets and cables that I have seen and a battery that looks like it could survive the harshest treatment any one could dish out. Oh and waterproof to.

My magic shine mj-808 looks pathetic in comparison. It's held on the handlebars by a stretched o-ring.

Fenix has a bike light in development at the moment. It looks promising, I can't wait for its release.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/343727

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lupine, (show ones money in 1st place, but quite good lights)
Supernova (even worse)
Hope (even more worse)
Light & Motion (argueable good)
Philips (large scale flashlight enterprise)
Sigma (typical Bikelight producer, good ideas)
Busch & Müller (same)
MyTinysun (quite newest technology, best p<->v ratio, imho)
Magicshine (low budget end)
... what comes to mind quickly

PS: imho its still the best, to place ones flashlight (1*18650) on the bars
(+ use an additional headlamp (when its very extreme riding))

Flashlight Enthusiast
in order to answer this question

what type of bike and what type and level of riding ?

you would use a different system for 24hour racing than commuting, for example
and you would use different systems for 2 hour racing than 24 hour...
and different systems for road or trail

I race mtb XC in daylight, but train at night. I use a cheap lightweight shadow BL-21 on the
bars, and a zebralight h600w on the helmet. if I 24hour raced I would use niterider

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the answers!
I have heard now a couple names from you and i will check their catalogues.
I would need a bikelight for commuting only and attaching a 1x18650 portable round flashlight with a holder comes to my mind..

So Magicshine is a noteworthy company (manufacturer??) in the budget section?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the answers!
I have heard now a couple names from you and i will check their catalogues.
I would need a bikelight for commuting only and attaching a 1x18650 portable round flashlight with a holder comes to my mind..

So Magicshine is a noteworthy company (manufacturer??) in the budget section?

magicshine makes a cheap and serviceable bright bike light mountain bikers like

you should investigate CNQG and the shadow BL-21, even cheaper than magicshine and I have
been using one a short while (few months) and no issues...it is nice actually. it is 3x18650 with smart charger

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
attaching a 1x18650 portable round flashlight with a holder comes
so, when this setup is what You are thinking of, why are You searching for a single-use light with external battery pack?
(means: only useable for mounting on a bike)

Use Your beloved flashlight together with a bar holder ... that light will be kept in good condition and such
... better than a non-working light for that few uses the big one is mounted at an occasion which was planned in advance

PS: that is my setup since my 1st 18650 light - then with an XR-E, now with XP-G/XM-L - and it is more than enough light for me to be among the quickest riders (if needed) at the nightrides I am visiting (usually I invite for them at the local bike forum but we re all hobby stage).
Because the amount of light does not nearly compensate for skill and knowing the terrain very good,
even when it seems to be common thinking that a big light makes a rider "better" at night
:rolleyes:

attaboy

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to this forum and to night riding. Where I might help is that I've recently gone through the research and purchase process. I went with lights from Dinotte -- XML-3 for the bar and XML-1 for helmet. I'm very happy thus far -- only two rides in. I feel I have enough light for the trails and a long enough burn time. I think their price relative to quality and light output is very good.