Maglite survives Shuttle Disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a problem with finding out more about the structural integrity of the mag. That being said, I will have a BIG problem if Mag decided to carry an advertisement about its survival. Mag has made a big deal out of the "indestructibility" of their lights. You can imagine the easy connection between this image and that of the shuttle's...

Chamenos, as Bart said, my statement is "if"... I'd hope Mag has enough dignity to not even suggest to their inner circle about the possibility of this being used to their advantage.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Perhaps I can put a different slant on my objection to this particular thread?

I am by profession a paramedic and I have also trained in phsychology and as such have seen and dealt with countless individuals and families dealing with bereavement and its effects.
To many here on this forum there is a curiosity to know if a Mag survived such a physical pounding as described and whether or not it still works. My objection comes not through this speculation or as Shankus puts it 'truth' but in an almost certain knowledge that to one of the families or friends of one of the deceased crew this object will represent a tangible connection with that person.

As such will it matter to them whether it works or not? I suggest that it wouldn't even occur to them to ask such a trivial question. Rather, I suspect that they would be horrified over how anyone (or group)of individuals would want to see or or care whether a cheap flashlight has survived this tragedy. Their pain is (except to any who have endured such a breavement)very real and in trying to come to terms with their loss they do not and indeed should not have to see such trivia which can or could remind them of that awful day.

I cannot say for sure whether anyone, family, friends or neighbours of the deceased ever reads our forum but I know that should they do so they would be deeply saddend by such a thread as this.

I can only relate that years of experience and first hand knowledge of breavement has enabled me to know that this subject would cause a lot of pain to those directly involved.

Does anyone here wish to cause this type of offence? I hope and beleive not!

I do not think I have advocated censorship but rather a need for some of us to see this issue through the eyes of the people who have been directly hurt by the loss of those they were closest too! Do we really need to know anything about this MAG?

Doug

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
btw, you'd think nasa could have given the astros an arc or sf.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't NASA use Photon Micro Lights as standard issue equipment?

-Mike

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
My gut instinct tells me this thread is wrong. On the other hand no one has made any out of line statements, flamed of been disrespectful. I just believe as others have stated above, this thread could cause pain and none of us intend to hurt anyone and perhaps we are being insensitive. The curiosity about the light is understandable, we are flashaholics, we use and abuse lights to the extreme every day. If there is a reasonable chance our discussing this topic could cause someone pain or be quoted elsewhere in a negative light, (no pun intended) this thread would then be counterproductive.

Go ahead a weigh in on the topic, for the most part members do a great job at self moderation.

Should this thread stay or should it go?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd leave it to the descretion of the Mods. Personally, I don't know if it was the right question to ask. Or maybe not asked correctly...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I think the original post's intent was to show the mag's indestructability. Somewhere along the line, it attracted comments of advertisements, donations, funds, new colors, etc; away from the point.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
FalconFX said:
...Somewhere along the line, it attracted comments of advertisements, donations, funds, new colors, etc; away from the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's in the cafe now, the place for that kind of thing.

*dougmccoy * If this thread offends you, I suggest that you don't come back and read it anymore, you know, boycott it. It's going to cause you unnecessary strife. It's the same as if it was a TV show you object to, don't watch it.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
This is an interesting bit of trivia... but it is unanswerable.

I vote to close the thread.

Doug has pointed out that a family member of the astronauts reading this thread would be offended or hurt. I (and my wife) agree.

If there is even a remote chance of offending the family of a person that has served and given the ultimate sacrifice for our country, I want no part of it.

Tom and Lisa

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
shankus,
FalconFX is not worried about being offended. He and others are concerned about people other than themselves being offended or hurt. Concern for others is the point of the objection. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Ok, I am going to close this. I think the point was simply to share the info on the light, and I think that has been done, lets just leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.