Malkoff MD2- M61 or M61W

T

tje803

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to buy a Malkoff MD2. The "turn-key" MD2 is a good deal and I like that the package comes totally assembled (I am somewhat new to Malkoff drop-ins and still have lots to learn).

In this thread, most users recommended going with the MD2 with the M61W:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?315292-Convince-me-to-buy-a-Malkoff-MD2-3

Since so many users on CPF recommend the M61W, my question is- Is it worth purchasing the MD2, Switch, Lens, and M61W all separately at a higher price or would you recommend me going with the standard M61 in the less expensive turn-key package with the standard M61 and all parts included at the lower package price?

Thanks!

lightcycle1

lightcycle1

Enlightened
Go for the turnkey hi-low M61.

No muss no fuss add a good protected 18650 and it:s one hell of a nice light. My bestest general purpose light ever. Get the Malkoff clip with it too. Has a lanyard attachment hole and allows you to cigar grip the MD2, as well as preventing rolling. Well worth the 12 bucks. These are amazing flashlights. The tint, beam, combo flood/throw of the M61 makes it an outstanding general use light. Nice usable low mode too about 10% of full output. Absolutley go for the hi-low model.

Simple, no frills all-out function and build quality.
Its a beautifully executed basic flashlight

If I was told I had to get rid of all my lights and could keep only 1, the MD2 would be the keeper.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
V

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the turn key package, preferably with the hi/lo ring.

C

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking to buy a Malkoff MD2. The "turn-key" MD2 is a good deal and I like that the package comes totally assembled (I am somewhat new to Malkoff drop-ins and still have lots to learn).

In this thread, most users recommended going with the MD2 with the M61W:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?315292-Convince-me-to-buy-a-Malkoff-MD2-3

Since so many users on CPF recommend the M61W, my question is- Is it worth purchasing the MD2, Switch, Lens, and M61W all separately at a higher price or would you recommend me going with the standard M61 in the less expensive turn-key package with the standard M61 and all parts included at the lower package price?

Thanks!

If you're set or want to try out the M61W drop-in.

Buy both the Turnkey M61 MD2 and M61W. Once you receive the items, you can test both drop-ins to see which one you like best. You can sell the one drop-in on the CPFmarketplace if you do not like either one. Most flashaholics will probably keep both (I have multiple malkoff drop-ins).

I highly recommend the Hi/Low Ring option.

Option 1
MD2 with M61 Turnkey with Hi/Low Ring = $89.99
M61W drop-in = $59.00
Shipping $7

Total $155.99

Option 2
Buying everything separate will cost as much, but you will only have one drop in.

MD2 = $59.00
Hi/Low ring = $25.00
M61W = $59.00
Shipping = $7.00
Total $150.00

I would spend the extra $5.99 and go with option 1.

Last edited:
G

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supporter
Don't forget that the M61 and M61W are only two of your options.

Illumination Supply offers the M61 219 series, with a supremely neutral 4500K tint. Ignoring the SHO variant, these top out at 200 lumens, and the hotspot is less intense than all other M61 variants.

Oveready offers the slightly warmer M61N series, that has a tint of 4000K. The standard model of this series tops out at 300 lumens, and the hotspot (and associated throw) is very similar to the cool M61.

My recommendation is to get the turn-key M61 with high/low ring now, before the sale ends. You can always get a second warmer engine after you've decided which one you'd prefer.

I've got all four variants, and am very happy with all of them.

Grizz

Norm

Norm

Retired Administrator
You might ask if the turnkey can be supplied with your choice of drop in, it never hurts to ask.

Norm

T

tje803

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all the replies. GREAT advice from everyone and I really appreciate it. Lots to think about now. Cerealand makes a great point about pricing with his "option 1."

Kind of hijacking my own thread but should I add a Malkoff MDC to my order while I'm at it?

I'm new here and already own a number of Olights, Streamlights, and Fenix lights but I'm really wanting to see what all the Malkoff rage is about. I also really like that the Malkoff's are made in the USA. Looking at the specs of the MD2 turnkey and the price, and it's all made in the USA, it leaves me wondering, "what's the catch?"

C

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Official Malkoff Junkie Thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?336391-The-Official-Malkoff-Junkie-thread-Part-2

Malkoff MDC thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?351275-New-Malkoff-MDC-in-the-works

There's no catch with Malkoff Products.

Great customer service... but if you are still on the ledge, please look at their return policy. Once you receive it and are not happy (which I doubt), you can returned if you choose. I never had to use it... I just go back and buy more.

Our Return Policy

All items except otherwise mentioned, may be returned within 30 days from the original invoice date. There is no restocking fee for qualified returns. The merchandise must be in new and re-saleable, unused condition and in its original packaging. Shipping charges are non-refundable. No refunds after 30 days. Customer is responsible for shipping charges on returned items.

Last edited:
T

tje803

Newly Enlightened
F

full m3tal

Newly Enlightened
Good luck! I came here seeking advice on my next purchase, and was recommended the MD2 turnkey hi-low. I ordered that and the Hound dog. After receiving them, I have since went back and ordered more stuff (MD3, MD4, and the Wild Cat). And I am about order a couple more MD2s (pink for the wife, and my dad wants one now). I'm holding strong for now and NOT buying the MDC, but I already know I will break down any day and purchase one when I run out of stuff to buy.

I love these Malkoff products, and I'm glad I listened to everyone's advice.

Dave D

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before I bought the Turnkey MD2 Hi/Low I sent an email to Gene asking if I could have the M61 replaced with the M361N L/M/H, he charged me an extra $5 to swap the drop-in's.

It doesn't do any harm to ask! :thumbsup:

T

tje803

Newly Enlightened
My recommendation is to get the turn-key M61 with high/low ring now, before the sale ends. You can always get a second warmer engine after you've decided which one you'd prefer.

I've got all four variants, and am very happy with all of them.

Grizz

Good advice. I placed an order last night for the turnkey hi/low MD2. With the price they're selling for right now, I couldn't say no. I figure it will give me a good starting point and if I want to try other drop-ins I can pick them up later on. I still am blown away by the price these MD2 lights are on sale for right now. I was seriously tempted to pick up two, just because it was such a good deal.

T

tje803

Newly Enlightened
Before I bought the Turnkey MD2 Hi/Low I sent an email to Gene asking if I could have the M61 replaced with the M361N L/M/H, he charged me an extra $5 to swap the drop-in's.

It doesn't do any harm to ask! :thumbsup:

I already placed my order last night but thanks for the info! Very good to know for my next purchase from Gene.

yoyoman

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supporter
If you placed the order last night, you can call them and talk to a real human. Not too late to get just what you want. Make sure you got the hi/lo ring!
Or you can start buying different dropins. I have the M61 Nichia 219 (regular and SHO) from Illumination supply and M61L N and M60 C from Oveready.

BIGLOU

BIGLOU

Enlightened
yoyoman is right Gene will most likely answer the phone.

T

tje803

Newly Enlightened
If you placed the order last night, you can call them and talk to a real human. Not too late to get just what you want. Make sure you got the hi/lo ring!
Or you can start buying different dropins. I have the M61 Nichia 219 (regular and SHO) from Illumination supply and M61L N and M60 C from Oveready.

Just called up Malkoff and Gene himself answered on the second ring. What a nice guy. He said it would be no issue swapping for a M61W. I am sold on Malkoff lights from the customer service alone! I can't wait to get my MD2 and I think Gene may have me hooked. I love supporting small American companies and Gene seems like a great guy.

Thanks for all the input from everyone here on CPF. I really appreciate it. I think a M61 Nichia 219 may be in my future too once they're back in stock. And a Malkoff Wildcat and Hound Dog once they show up again, and the list goes on...

T

tje803

Newly Enlightened
I know I already mentioned this but Gene and Cathy over at Malkoff are some of the nicest folks. I called them back to ask a couple more questions and make a small change to my order. They were very helpful, friendly, and patient. I can't tell you how refreshing that is in the era of poor customer service. I'll stop posting about it now, but I just thought it was worth mentioning again.

G

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supporter
If you like warm tints, you should be extremely happy with the two level MD2. I prefer the MD2's output selection method over every other one I've tried.

The Hound Dog is an outstanding light, with a beam profile quite similar to the M61, with a crazy bright hot spot that reaches nearly 20,000 lux at 1 meter.

MD3s work great for the Hound Dog and Wildcat, as well as M91AW and SHO variants, with dual 18500 cells.

I've got a couple MD4s for dual 18650 driven long runtime, but they live in a Pelican case due to their length.

Welcome to the addiction!!

Grizz

T

tje803

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the addiction!!

Grizz

Thanks!

When I placed my order last night all the Hound Dogs were sold out. Then this morning I noticed there were two in stock of the neutral tint and I had to grab one. I went with the MD4 body for it because of the option for 2-18650s. I figure I'll use it for a while and if the MD4 body is too big for my personal use, I will just spend the $45 on a MD3. With the neutral Hound Dog I probably will lose a little brightness over the cool model, but the neutral will hopefully be better for spotting wildlife with the more accurate representation of color. And the neutral was what was in stock, so that's what I got!

Grizzman, you've got me second guessing my choice of the MD4. I guess I will have to try it out for myself and see what I think.

How long is it ok to run these Hound Dogs at full output?

G

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supporter
The length difference between the MD3 and MD4 is only about 1 1/3". The extra capacity of dual 18650s makes it well worth it.

Gene doesn't over drive the emitters and designs all his lights with adequate heat sinking to be used at full output for as long as the batteries last.

Grizz