maxpedition single sheath holster

eart

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Is anyone familiar with the maxpedition single sheath holster: http://www.maxpedition.com/product/product_sheath_single.htm ?

Now that it's summer, I'm no longer wearing jeans. This means the coin pocket is gone. I used to carry my FireFly & LM Juice is that coin pocket (it's like the pocket was made for my EDC). My shorts are cargo-style, but I find that if I stuff my FF/LM in one of the lower pockets, the whole thing flaps around and I suddenly notice the weight of the FF/LM much more. Thus I'm thinking about the maxpedition holster in horizontal carry. That'll replicate my "jeans experience" somewhat.

Thoughts? I guess I'm gonna measure the size of the coin pockets on my jeans and see how it compares to the holster. I notice that it uses velcro to attach to the belt - how easy it to rip off? Either way, I guess, $15 is not too bad if it ends up being sucky...

geek

Newly Enlightened
I bought a coupla those for horizontal carry. To me, the single sheath is much too bulky to wear. At the time, my application was one sheath for a leatherman wave, the other for a aa maglite. The sheaths made those small items greatly larger - too much so to wear. I wound up attaching one of my single sheaths to the outside of my Monsoon bag. I gave the other to a friend.

eart

Newly Enlightened
geek said:
I bought a coupla those for horizontal carry. To me, the single sheath is much too bulky to wear. At the time, my application was one sheath for a leatherman wave, the other for a aa maglite. The sheaths made those small items greatly larger - too much so to wear. I wound up attaching one of my single sheaths to the outside of my Monsoon bag. I gave the other to a friend.

Damn. Any other suggestions for a small-ish horizontal cary that'll fit a juice and a FF?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider using a section of a bicycle inner tube on your belt for horizontal carry. I often carry a large Victorinox One Handed Trekker knife like this:

tube-belt-sheath.jpg

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
horizonseeker said:
how easy is it to remove and re-insert if you use inner tube?

I suppose it depends on the size of the inner tube vs. the item it holds, but in general it takes more time than using an inelastic holster. I had two different size tubes to try and only one was large enough fit my knife.

I can remove the knife using one hand, but it requires two hands to insert this Victorinox One Handed Trekker knife in the inner tube I'm using. If I was using a larger tube or smaller knife, it would be easier to insert the knife.

It shouldn't be too easy to remove or insert the knife or it would fall out. Because it is a horizontal carry position, gravity doesn't help keep the knife in its place.

eart

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for an interesting idea. I have a feeling my stuff would get jacked like this though.
I'm still thinking of giving the maxpedition holster a try.. might post on bladeforums and see if they have any sheath suggestions.

geek

Newly Enlightened
If you find a good horizontal sheath solution, please post about it in this forum. I've been looking for such a thing for some time, to no avail.