May be a stupid idea

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
But why not a single weapon light has a TIR lens that would produce a very narrow spot in the center of the beam. That would replace the need of laser beam in the dark. Just place that hot spot on a target and you know where your bullets go (more or less). Of course, that would require weapon light centering, but why not if that will obsolete the need to aim through barely visible sight.

The only problem I see so far -- sophistication of the lens. Most likely it will require double layer construction to avoid/minimize spectral artifacts of the aiming hot spot.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem would be the reduced or lack of spill. The intent in tactical usage is to have an intense hot spot to investigate/aim with, with sufficient spill to provide awareness of the surrounding area as well.

Also, unless your beam is going to be pencil thin, it would not be as accurate as a laser. With a properly sighted laser/gun combo it would be easy to pick the exact spot the user wants to place a shot if one is necessary. With a wider beam, one could not be as accurate in placing their shot. [It would be a lot easier to place a laser beam on the desired target than to try to center your beam on target. Remember, things can happen very fast in a tactical environment, and every second counts.]

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast

I mean that perimeter lens part produces spilled beam while central part -- a narrow "pointer" beam that would correspond to an average handgun dispersing cone. And that central beam should not be too bright comparing to flood part, just visually more pronounced. For example, this is no good:

IMG_0137.jpg

Last edited:

Enderman

Enlightened
I mean that perimeter lens part produces spilled beam while central part -- a narrow "pointer" beam that would correspond to an average handgun dispersing cone. And that central beam should not be too bright comparing to flood part, just visually more pronounced. For example, this is no good:
Yeah that's what the catadioptric lens does.
Unfortunately is does not give a focused beam as much as I expected, the spot is too big.
The only thing I have seen that can make a pencil beam with 0 spill is an aspheric lens, like the one I have in my custom make 1Mcd LED thrower.
For some reason though most military lights use HID+reflector rather than LED+lens, maybe they want more lumens or want the spill?

holygeez03

Enlightened
I think it would be nice to have one LED mounted with a lens/optic that produces a VERY tight, bright beam... and a second LED in a "mule" mount that provides low lux periphery illumination. It could even be set up to use one with out the other for certain scenarios...

thelastboyscout

Newly Enlightened
TACSTAR out of AZ back in the day (like 20 yrs ago) made a light that had a circle spot with a crosshair that was adjustable for point of impact. It did not go very far. I have several as I was a dealer for them back then. They made the side saddle for shotguns back then.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
TACSTAR out of AZ back in the day (like 20 yrs ago) made a light that had a circle spot with a crosshair that was adjustable for point of impact. It did not go very far. I have several as I was a dealer for them back then. They made the side saddle for shotguns back then.

Interesting. And what was the main reason of it being unsuccessful? Price? Sophisticated settings? Recoil affected settings? Ugly looking cross being out of focus?

Last edited:

holygeez03

Enlightened
That is interesting... can you take any beamshots of this crazy idea? What is the model #?

Out of curiosity, how much did/do these cost? I am only interested for novelty sake...

Last edited:

Latest posts