Is this normal for a Maglite ML50LX?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been trying to buy this light via Amazon since last year. Maglites are hard and expensive to buy in the U.K. and Amazon looked to be the best priced. Shipped from the USA.

Eventually got the light a day or so ago.

It has some marks and scratches and the anodising is different colours. Looks a little rough near the tail cap too.

Is this what they are like or should I be sending it back?

IMG_3505.jpeg

IMG_3506.jpeg
IMG_3507.jpeg

LRJ88

Enlightened
Considering the cost of Maglites i'd send that one back, it looks like it's been returned or handled by someone else before you got it.

And before someone chimes in with the usual "just use it", Maglite as a company doesn't deserve special treatment when they keep trying to cut corners while at the same time raising the price. There's plenty of better flashlight brands who don't have this despite costing less per flashlight, those other flashlight brands haven't attempted to sue their competition out of business either.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, it looks like a return, you got it on amazon, so anything is possible, depending on what you want to do with it, if you want to keep it on a shelf as a decoration, then return it. if you gonna use it, might as well keep it, you'll probably make more scratches very soon anyway. that is assuming everything else is in order. Since you are in uk, and like you said getting one there is not easy/cheap. see if these minor things worth waiting for another one. but i would definitely leave the seller a negative review with those pictures.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Definitely looks like a return, that was shipped out to you. I can clearly see why the first person returned it. Considering how hideously expensive Maglites tend to be outside of America, yeah; I'd return that one.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Yes, that's pretty bad. Looks used to me. I'd return it.

I do not care for amazon. I ordered one thing, and it did not go well. Never did business with them again.

I've had better luck with ebay, although I don't know if it is accessible to you in your location. At least you can ask sellers questions ahead of time and gauge their response, check their feedback, return policy, and number of sales. If you don't feel comfortable with them, you can move on to another seller.

Good luck.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yes, that's pretty bad. Looks used to me. I'd return it.

I do not care for amazon. I ordered one thing, and it did not go well. Never did business with them again.

I've had better luck with ebay, although I don't know if it is accessible to you in your location. At least you can ask sellers questions ahead of time and gauge their response, check their feedback, return policy, and number of sales. If you don't feel comfortable with them, you can move on to another seller.

Good luck.
Bought from Amazon numerous times. All items sent to one address. Someone hacked my account, bought a bunch of stuff and had it shipped to numerous different addresses. Called up my credit card company, reported the fraudulent charges. They said, "No problem."

Called up Amazon, reported the fraudulent charges. They said, "Screw you! Pay us anyway!" (Obviously paraphrasing on my part but the tone was the same.) I told them to go to Hell. They told me they'd be locking me out of my Amazon account until I tell my C.C. company to put all the charges through. I told them where they could shove those fraudulent charges. That was years ago.

Since then, I see something I like on Amazon, I check eBay or Wal-Mart's official website. Sometimes Etsy. Usually find what I want for not too much more than what Amazon charges. Sometimes even a bit less. Or, I contact the company that makes the product through their Home Page, directly. Again, no issues.

Love how Amazon acts as though they're the only option on the whole wide web. Yeah.... No. Screw their obscene level of greed! I mean, seriously; I literally can't name another company that expects its customers to pay them after it was proven that fraudulent charges were made. Just pay them anyway. Literally no other company except Amazon stoops to that level of low-life, scumbag behavior.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must have had 35 Magz or more from young to now. From the smallest ones to the latest XML2 LED D cell lights Mag has finally stepped up and into a lucrative super bright LED torch business. I have had zero problems with my anodized D and C cell ML LX lights at all. Even my old incan Magz are still useful today with the neverending Magz aftermarket. To answer the OP I say the only thing wrong I see is the bezel, reflector and tube seem to be slightly different shades of green. But when you get scratches like that in an anodized finish there are plenty of ppl that took a cloth to any light marks and hand buff a little.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is a user and it works don't worry about it. If it is a piece for your collection return it.

I've found that Amazon is basically a scam site now. It used to be good for Japanese lights and outdated Lensers. I got ripped off there on batteries, Xeno, and some Austrian light. Now I go to walmart.com(ASDA) or Egay. If you want better chance of getting a good light deal with a camping, police kit, or sporting goods shop for lights. Usually if you pay a bit more you get less B.S. I way overpay at Cabelas but they always deliver and if I go to their shop I can handle very many different lights. I went there once during the golden era of CPF & lights to buy a Surefire 6P and seen so many cool Streamlights so of which I now have in my collection.