MBI #3 - Codename: HF

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um, no freezing cold here Cataract. 80 at the moment. I could drop it in the deep freeze with the burger and pecans though? Would that work? ;)

I remember some time back there was a long discussion on how to get the proper patina on the Maratac Copper. The final conclusion from several of them seemed to be that they should pee on it, let the acid in the urine turn the copper the green of the Statue of Liberty. (not saying anyone pi**ed on Lady Liberty!) That's one of those YMMV situations. As for me, I prefer a fine compound to an acid but then again I go for bling! :)

Dale

The freezer might work too... I found this out by accident as it was -20C yesterday when I opened the package in the car. It waited in the car as I went to get groceries and when I took it out of the envelope at home, it was still cold. I noticed the marks after holding it for a few seconds. I can't say at which step it got the marks, but I can say it makes really interesting patterns. I'll try to post a pic when I have a minute. Not sure how durable those patina patterns are, since they are very quickly impressed. Time will tell...

Has anyone tried vinegar? I'd rather not hold my non-attached preciouses over the toilet and pee everywhere but in the toilet. Then again you could always pee in a small container and dip you HF in, but I think I'll stick with the wait-and-see method for forming a patina.

PANGES

Newly Enlightened
and... somewhere was a post about the variable resistor / pot
have been looking at that.
challenge is when they are very small, the current handling capacity is typically quite low but I am exploring that.
I was even thinking about a rotary dip switch (a wheel) with 10 or 16 fixed modes...
time and testing.

must run but more posts later

tgwnn

PANGES,
I really like the led display on the tailcap too!
Maybe a button to toggle the display to show RPM, Distance from Target, etc....

tgwnn

I was just joking about the display and bajillion modes, but it would be seriously cool if you could get something like that to work! lol.

Either way, you have my support and I shall buy both an HF and Torpedo. :D

Last edited:

MT_155

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, a slight flower pattern in the beam would indicate multiple reflectors, and the "-R" can only mean "Type Racing".
So i reckon the HF-R is a red carbon-fibre multi emitter light with go-faster stripes. 3 x XR-Es set to converge at a mile.
Am i right?

FsTop

Enlightened
I'd request that the low mode on a 3-mode be more like 2, instead of .5 lumens.

.5 would be useless for reading a menu in a restaurant, for example, while 40 is much too bright, and draws attention.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
DBC, Cataract,

Thanks fo the kind words and I'll have to give the freezer trick a try!

I was just joking about the display and bajillion modes, but it would be seriously cool if you could get something like that to work! lol.

Either way, you have my support and I shall buy both an HF and Torpedo. :D
Thanks PANGES

Hmm, a slight flower pattern in the beam would indicate multiple reflectors, and the "-R" can only mean "Type Racing".
So i reckon the HF-R is a red carbon-fibre multi emitter light with go-faster stripes. 3 x XR-Es set to converge at a mile.
Am i right?
Hi MT_155,
hmmm....
no flower pattern anymore :)
I had all new reflectors made.

I'd request that the low mode on a 3-mode be more like 2, instead of .5 lumens.

.5 would be useless for reading a menu in a restaurant, for example, while 40 is much too bright, and draws attention.

Hi FsTop,

Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll see if I can make a few customs as standalone options in one of the next batches.

Tgwnn

p.s. just about completed the subscriber update. just 2 small things left to check when I'm more awake, then I can hit send perhaps sometime over the weekend.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
DBC, Cataract,

Thanks fo the kind words and I'll have to give the freezer trick a try!

Thanks PANGES

Hi MT_155,
hmmm....
no flower pattern anymore :)
I had all new reflectors made.

Hi FsTop,

Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll see if I can make a few customs as standalone options in one of the next batches.

Tgwnn

p.s. just about completed the subscriber update. just 2 small things left to check when I'm more awake, then I can hit send perhaps sometime over the weekend.

Yessssss. I can't remember the last update I got!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good news....

HF Al's batch 1 have landed... :clap:
along with lot's of other things.

Going to pick them up in a few hours then diving into inspection/QA.

Expecting the final batch of HF returns by this time next week.

Subscriber update expected to go out sometime this weekend.

Tgwnn

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good news....

HF Al's batch 1 have landed... :clap:
along with lot's of other things.

Going to pick them up in a few hours then diving into inspection/QA.

Expecting the final batch of HF returns by this time next week.

Subscriber update expected to go out sometime this weekend.

Tgwnn

Awesome, Guy. You have an email from me. :)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
HF Aluminum have landed!

One word....

Perfect!

Only managed to check a couple but so far so good and these are spectacular.
The color is a slightly metalic blueish gray and the switch is very very smooth.

Lot's of things to check through so not sure I'll be able to sleep.
Will get some photo's and going to try and get the update out (some extra photo's are a must).

Some HF's also back from the workshop, plus the new batch of HF-R's and they are looking mighty fine too.
I'm definitely going to need a bigger keychain now!

Hoping to end all the mystery on the HF-R's later tonight (morning perhaps US time) so please stand by.

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lined up for testing

uzaduhan.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yyyyyyyyeeeeeeesssssssssss!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks smarkum,

Completed QC on the HF Al's.
The finish is by far the best to date. These look impeccable and the consistency is very high.

The new switch is smooth but there were a small number of switches I wasn't completely satisfied with.
I am going to send out all the pre-order HF Al's and as I still have enough Al tails, in case a reserved serial tail didn't make the grade, I'll let you know and perhaps offer a different serial number or send a new tail as soon as the next batch arrive (on me of couse) but I plan on sending out all the HF AL's early in the coming week.

Now its on to QC for some of the other arrivals.

Tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! These have got to feel weightless, so small, made from Al barely noticeable on the keychain. Sweet! Compare one side by side to a Cu version and it'll be shocking! :)

Dale

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! These have got to feel weightless, so small, made from Al barely noticeable on the keychain. Sweet! Compare one side by side to a Cu version and it'll be shocking! :)

Dale

Hi Dale,

They are very weightless indeed.
Especially compared to copper, brass.

Everyone, my cpf inbox is full so please email me if you need to reach me.
Just deleted some messages but it didn't help so I may need to upgrade my subscription again.

Thanks,
Tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Busy man, huh? You might also have to delete from your replies to get your back inside your limits. Hey Guy, there's a new pic over in the CoreTi thread you might want to see. :)

Dale

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Busy man, huh? You might also have to delete from your replies to get your back inside your limits. Hey Guy, there's a new pic over in the CoreTi thread you might want to see. :)

Dale

Hi Dale,

Thanks, awesome photo as always :)

Finished QC'ing the HF-R's.

I do want to add just a couple of pics before sending out the update and I'm a little too close to sunrise to safely hit the "send" trigger so I will shoot it out tomorrow (in time for Sunday morn breakfast for the folks in a similar timezone to the USA).

I am also planning to have a buffer of at least a day before switching on order's after the update goes out so you can read the update, have time to ask questions, and not feel like its a mad rush to order in time because the first batch of in-stock HF-R's is small, but there are more coming.

Tgwnn