MBI #3 - Codename: HF

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude, you should not show me stuff like that! Of course I'like to see that on a torpedo tailcap! But now I also have to save money to buy one for myself. Why do I keep reading this forum??

:rant:
:drool:

And yes, I need a knife for it. I'm not really into the knives like Dale has (like Case) but I like little Spydercos and such. Any suggestions? Shouldn't be too pricy to add that to my chain.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
:rant:
:drool:

And yes, I need a knife for it. I'm not really into the knives like Dale has (like Case) but I like little Spydercos and such. Any suggestions? Shouldn't be too pricy to add that to my chain.

Spyderco bug ~11$ and razor sharp. Going gear is having a 15% sale on everything if your total is over 60$ this week (of course, it had to be after I ordered over 100$ worth of stuff - and why don't they sell those Luce de Notte?:rant:) I can forward you the newsletter if you don't have it.

Last edited:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spyderco bug ~11$ and razor sharp. Going gear is having a 15% sale on everything if your total is over 60$ this week (of course, it had to be after I ordered over 100$ worth of stuff). I can forward you the newsletter if you don't have it.

I've got It i think Good thinking. Thanks Cataract!

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually carry a Leatherman Juice in my other pocket, with canopener, bottleopener, scissors, 2 slotted and a philips #2, and of course the obligitory blade. In that same pocket, clipped to the edge, a Buck Strider with G10 scales and Titanium liners sporting a very very solid 3/16" thick 3" ATS34 blade. A Lansky hone with diamond sharpeners is used for almost beyond razor sharpness, but lately I've digressed and my blades need some work. If I can feel like no one will care where I'm going to be, I carry a Benchmade AFCK with 4" blade, hand polished and re-ground with a dual 25/20 edge that is just plain wicked. Combo edge gives it rope and tough fiber cutting abilities with the last 2 3/4" being a beautiful curve that comes to a near needle point that has always reminded me of a sharks tooth. But that thing is big and depending on where you are some people get a little weird. Didn't used to be that way in Texas, anywhere anytime, but Fort Hood is near and there's a lot of Yankees around now so nothings the same. No offense if you're from the North, but it is what it is. When I was in school, the guys hunted in the morning and right after school, half the pick-ups on campus had at least 2 guns in racks in the back window. Windows down, doors unlocked, guns plainly showing in the rear window. It was a way of life. I've carried a knife almost literally every day since I was 10 years old. Through school and all.40+ years of using tools. That's all it is to most of us, a tool to use when necessary, just like a light.

My Benchmade Nimravus Cub is 5" of M2 Tool steel. They claim you can rip a car door open with it then slice a tomato. I know it slices tomato's like nobody's business, never needed car door slices on my sammy. ;)

My Samurai Katana is 28" of shaving beautiness, gleaming hand forged steel with full qualification for a competition sword. 42" long overall with genuine ray skin wrapped handles and all. Love it!

And now Alex is introducing Cataract to Photon Fanatic stuff, sweet! lol

Dale

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny Alex, Case knives dull too easy. I worked at a warehouse near and in the receiving docks, the trucks sometimes had large 4x8 sheets of 7 ply cardboard between pallets (literally 1/2" thick like plywood). I took one of those home once and my buddy thought it'd be cool to trace his outline on it and cut it out for dart throwing competition. I sliced the entire outline of a grown man through that heavy heavy cardboard then shaved the hair off my arm with an ATS34 blade by Benchmade. Something like 37' of cut in 7 ply cardboard, not hacking at it but literally sliding through it like an electric knife through a watermelon. Try that with a Case. :p

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the daily I carry my Benchmade Triage, but occasionally I switch it with my Kershaw Leek.

Used to carry a CRKT Doug Ritter RSK around my neck with a custom sheath made by a member (either on this forum or eLightbars). I'd love to have something that matches one of my HFs.

sassaquin

Enlightened
Earlier tonight, a HF-Titanium (blasted XM-L) sold in two hours on The Marketplace for $110.
This was the first time I saw a MBI light sell second-hand either at The Marketplace or CPF Customs B/S/T.

In his description, the seller incorrectly referred to MBI as Matchbox Industries instead of "Matchbox Instruments". It's strange, I've seen quite a few people (including myself) make this same mistake.
Huh, wonder why?

Esko

Enlightened
Dude, you should not show me stuff like that! Of course I'like to see that on a torpedo tailcap! But now I also have to save money to buy one for myself. Why do I keep reading this forum??

Sorry...

Hey! I'm just the messenger. It may hurt now, but you'll thank me later. :p;)

wyldthng

Newly Enlightened
Been away awhile, but it's good to see the thread continuing! Guy, the new HF-R tail is awesome! I am pacing waiting for a HF-R in Ti, but I am thinking I may be tempted by a black one. It sounds like you are making a lot of progress. I carry a HF in my pocket everyday and I have not had any accidental "hot pocket" experiences. That said, a more tactile switch would be nice.

Cataract - your lanyard rocks!

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sassaquin, I think the reason for the name substitution is fairly obvious. Guy goes to just professional lengths that he appears as an Industry. An Industry Standard. So the intented direction towards small instruments that serve us well is pretty easily morphed into a monster business guru kind of thing. ;) I love my Matchbox Instruments tools. Many of us do. But keep in mind that the HF is kind of a niche device. It was designed with pure power in mind, to fill a gap while the details got worked out in the more refined Torpedo. So there will be some out there that don't like the maintenance the HF requires. And it does require a degree of discipline, so much power in such a small package. So it's not surprising to see a few get off the bus.

When I was making up this poster, Instruments was the hardest thing to get right! lol Sorry, I know I've shown it before, but I like seeing it! :nana:

MBI_HF_Supernova Vertical T-Shirt 11x14 V3 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Enjoy!

FsTop

Enlightened
I received my Alum HF three-mode yesterday, and Love It! The dim mode is just right for reading the menu in a restaurant without destroying the night vision of everyone around you, and I really prefer the lighter weight of Aluminum vs. Ti. The anodizing is also very nice - it almost matches the bead-blasted Ti version in mid-grey color, which is difficult with Al.

So I've now got an HF in bead-blasted Ti with two green trits installed For Sale. It's in prime shape after a couple of months on my keychain, and comes with all the original packaging and batteries. Cree XM-L.

PM me with offer if interested, and save me the trouble of shooting photos and posting it? Otherwise it goes in Marketplace later...

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
A long flurry of posts....
will catch up a little later this eve I hope.
I was down for a couple of days (fever n' stuff) but managed to drag myself to the PO to get some things shipped today.

A massive package arrived today with HF-R red/black 3 modes as well as some HF Al 3 modes.
Need some time to look through it all but combined, its a ton of lumens in there.

tgwnn

MatNeh

Newly Enlightened
I looked through this whole thread (I think), but I can't figure out how the 3-mode UI works. Can someone please explain?

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked through this whole thread (I think), but I can't figure out how the 3-mode UI works. Can someone please explain?

It works on an evenly spaced rotation with the tail between each level of brightness

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got It i think Good thinking. Thanks Cataract!

My pleasure :) Can't leave a fellow flashaholic without the second most important piece of EDC on his keychain...

I actually carry a Leatherman Juice in my other pocket, with canopener, bottleopener, scissors, 2 slotted and a philips #2, and of course the obligitory blade. In that same pocket, clipped to the edge, a Buck Strider with G10 scales and Titanium liners sporting a very very solid 3/16" thick 3" ATS34 blade. A Lansky hone with diamond sharpeners is used for almost beyond razor sharpness, but lately I've digressed and my blades need some work. If I can feel like no one will care where I'm going to be, I carry a Benchmade AFCK with 4" blade, hand polished and re-ground with a dual 25/20 edge that is just plain wicked. Combo edge gives it rope and tough fiber cutting abilities with the last 2 3/4" being a beautiful curve that comes to a near needle point that has always reminded me of a sharks tooth. But that thing is big and depending on where you are some people get a little weird. [...]Dale

I sometimes carry my spyderco Raven with 3.5" blade, which I kinda find short, but it's the maximum legal for carrying around. Even the people I work with look at me weird when I whip it out. People are afraid of knives for some reason. It's not like there are a bunch of psychos running the streets and gutting people at random.

I have a 42" two-handed practice sword, which I've used for practice. The blade is dull -too hard to find more people to practice with :devil:- but it is the exact same stell as the sharp version. I don't practice anymore and sometimes wonder if I should sharpen it. Would be a lot of work, though.

Earlier tonight, a HF-Titanium (blasted XM-L) sold in two hours on The Marketplace for $110.
This was the first time I saw a MBI light sell second-hand either at The Marketplace or CPF Customs B/S/T.

In his description, the seller incorrectly referred to MBI as Matchbox Industries instead of "Matchbox Instruments". It's strange, I've seen quite a few people (including myself) make this same mistake.
Huh, wonder why?

Perhaps because of all the "Matchbox Heavy Industries" talk...

Sorry...

Hey! I'm just the messenger. It may hurt now, but you'll thank me later. :p;)

I'll say it now: thank you. I'll leave the hurt for when my budget can take the blow. I still hate you for showing me this :p

[...]
Cataract - your lanyard rocks!

Thanks! Great choice of words ;)

A long flurry of posts....
will catch up a little later this eve I hope.
I was down for a couple of days (fever n' stuff) but managed to drag myself to the PO to get some things shipped today.

A massive package arrived today with HF-R red/black 3 modes as well as some HF Al 3 modes.
Need some time to look through it all but combined, its a ton of lumens in there.

tgwnn

It's like a case of dynamite, except it can survive a fall or two... Winter is almost over, hang in there!

MatNeh

Newly Enlightened
It works on an evenly spaced rotation with the tail between each level of brightness

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Ok, so it's nothing like the old UI of LOW-OFF-HIGH-OFF? It's now OFF-LOW-MEDIUM-HIGH?

Megatrowned

Enlightened
Hope you feel better there Guy. We don't want ya feeling like a cheep led :green:! :laughing: Ok, it's not that funny...
Take your ease till you feel better. You have been doing the work of ten men! Or 20 city workers, at least!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just quickly....

Here's how the switch mechanism is spaced for the HF & HF-R.

HF-HFRSwitch024_zps29db2b9d.jpg

Basically, its a free spinning wheel that you can rotate endlessly in either direction, with just some resistance (friction) so that it is not too loose.

The medium of the 3mode, is actually the same as the low of the 2mode, so to make it easier I just labelled the modes in the diagram as High, Low, Ultra-low....

Tgwnn