MBI #3 - Codename: HF

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one of those in my cart at MBI...except I just went for the $17 version. Is there any advantage to the other one...other than eye candy?

I got the Cottonpicker's charger without the voltage display because of the simplicity, and when using a small solar panel, the added current draw of the display can alter the charge cycle. This is also described in Cottonpicker's thread. I did get an Xtar inline USB volt/amp meter that is handy for wall outlet/computer charging. I use a multimeter to check voltage as well, but I can understand the utility of the 'better' charger with the display.

To those members with more expertise: Please correct or supplement this information.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my first MBI light. It's a MBI HF-R Ti UTT. Just wondering if there is anywhere to get parts like heads and momentary switches???
Hi CatsTide,
Congrats and welcome :twothumbs
Feel free to check the MBI Website as A.D.D.i.c.t. mentioned and do feel welcome to contact me directly too.

Matchbox instruments Web site for the momentary switch. Also you may email Guy. He is very prompt with responding and a pleasure to work with.
Thanks A.D.D.i.c.t. ;)

Since I just got it...if you could indulge me in answering a few dumb questions. The lumens with the 10250 are 600. What are they with the 10440? Are they the same just longer run time?

No, they are less due to the 10250 cells being high drain, delivering more voltage. I believe it's around 400 on 10440,but don't quote me on that [emoji6]. To get a more exact figure, I would Google search Mbi HF-R 10440 lumens, something like that. Happy to see another member added to the MBI tribe!

If you manage to get a hold of some high drain 10440's (DBC/Dale recommends the Efest) you might squeeze more lumens out of your HF-R, something nearer to the 10250 Nuke output.
Otherwise, output will vary depending on the type of 10440, whether it is protected, etc...

Thanks. I'm running 10440 now because I made the mistake of thinking my Nitecore could charge the 10250's.:oops:

I use a Cottonpickers charger made for my needs. 90ma is the low just for these awesome little cells. I love that charger, especially the voltmeter display

I've got one of those in my cart at MBI...except I just went for the $17 version. Is there any advantage to the other one...other than eye candy?

The $17 version is small and does the job nicely.
I do also find the voltage display version very convenient to see exactly how much power is left in a cell (and that goes for all the li-ion cells I have). I had a damaged with-display version that didn't work so I pulled off the voltage meter and use that on its own quite often.

I usually have spare single mode ($17) version in my daily carry. When I'm travelling, I always take the display version so I know how much juice is left in a cell as just this one unit can charge every type of li-ion I have with me.

I also have a standalone desktop (AC powered) charger (with display) for larger cells.

Yes, depending on the model. The voltmeter is worth it alone, to be able to check the voltage on your cells quickly and easily. If your only interest is charging the 10250 cells, the basic model will do that. The premium models are worth it most definitely though. I use mine for every rechargeable cell in my rotation.
A quick read through cottonpickers sale thread on CPF marketplace will explain more in detail.
I have to say I agree.
It does tend to be a case of you won't miss the display if you've never used it but once you have, you may feel slightly naked without it.

I got the Cottonpicker's charger without the voltage display because of the simplicity, and when using a small solar panel, the added current draw of the display can alter the charge cycle. This is also described in Cottonpicker's thread. I did get an Xtar inline USB volt/amp meter that is handy for wall outlet/computer charging. I use a multimeter to check voltage as well, but I can understand the utility of the 'better' charger with the display.

To those members with more expertise: Please correct or supplement this information.

Thanks KITROBASKIN,
That's an interesting point to bring up.
On solar, I'd think you want as much charge going to the battery as possible and not the LED display. Might be an enhancement for CottonPickers.... to add a switch to allow disabling of the LED display?

Tgwnn

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I just got it...if you could indulge me in answering a few dumb questions. The lumens with the 10250 are 600. What are they with the 10440? Are they the same just longer run time?
No, they are less due to the 10250 cells being high drain, delivering more voltage. I believe it's around 400 on 10440,but don't quote me on that [emoji6]. To get a more exact figure, I would Google search Mbi HF-R 10440 lumens, something like that. Happy to see another member added to the MBI tribe!
There are some experimental HD 10C 10430's out there, I have one. It put's out the same lumens as the smaller MBI Nuke 10250's. Next best are the Efast's that Dale found.
GL

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some experimental HD 10C 10430's out there, I have one. It put's out the same lumens as the smaller MBI Nuke 10250's. Next best are the Efast's that Dale found.
GL

Thanks GL ;)
I know who made those :D

I've been having some supply issues with my Nuke facility so I'm waiting on samples from a new facility.
If that goes well, I may have some official 10440 Nukes but its still a little too early to know for sure.

Tgwnn

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's great to hear! I'm in the market for a new set of 10440s and was about to pull the trigger on a bunch of Efests

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's great to hear! I'm in the market for a new set of 10440s and was about to pull the trigger on a bunch of Efests
Thanks Alex,

Will still be a good while before I know if they can produce them (at the level required) but I'll post when the time comes.

Thanks for the welcome Guy. Is there any way to snag a zoom head?
Hi CatsTide,
My pleasure ;)

There's always a way...
please contact me by mail (via my website) and I'll be able to offer more help.

Tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't the simple chargers from Cottonpickers charge at 700mA? That's way too high for the smaller cells. I don't have one of those in front of me, gave the ones away that I had...My 80 yr old mom has one with a 1200 lumen 18650 light in her purse. lol

I now use the Octo from Cottonpickers, it has 50ma, 100ma, 200ma, 300ma, 400ma, 500ma, 600ma and 780ma options.

The Efest IMR10440 does 3.34A in my Texas Poker, good for 921 lumens through the de-domed XP-L V5 2A emitter. I carry spares for my 2 HF's on my keychain as well, even though they are set up with the 10250 Nuke...the carrier on my keychain that houses one of my spare Efest cells is actually the HF 10440 tube. :)

In my HF's, the Efest comes very close to making the same power as the Nukes. And of course, has much more capacity.

invisible_kid

Newly Enlightened
I don't post very often but I am following these threads closely. I would love a hf tiny in ti. Also what's the eta roughly in the charges guy. Very interested in these. Also can't wait for the zeus and torpedo. Hf is still going strong as my edc. Had it a while now!!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't the simple chargers from Cottonpickers charge at 700mA? That's way too high for the smaller cells. I don't have one of those in front of me, gave the ones away that I had...My 80 yr old mom has one with a 1200 lumen 18650 light in her purse. lol

I now use the Octo from Cottonpickers, it has 50ma, 100ma, 200ma, 300ma, 400ma, 500ma, 600ma and 780ma options.

The Efest IMR10440 does 3.34A in my Texas Poker, good for 921 lumens through the de-domed XP-L V5 2A emitter. I carry spares for my 2 HF's on my keychain as well, even though they are set up with the 10250 Nuke...the carrier on my keychain that houses one of my spare Efest cells is actually the HF 10440 tube. :)

In my HF's, the Efest comes very close to making the same power as the Nukes. And of course, has much more capacity.

Hi Dale,

The SingleMode chargers are customized by CottonPickers.
The ones I offer are typically 80mA - 90mA (possibly depending on the resistors CottonPickers has available).
Of late, they all seem to have been 90mA.

Might be wrong, but I thought they were putting out 90ma.
Hi Kaichu,

Spot on actually (though their may be other versions in the wild).

Updates...
The MBI Charger is coming along well.
Awaiting the proto's of the unit (electronics are all fairly well tested now).

Had to make a small adaptor PCB to hold the USB part in the body but that's ready now so shouldn't be too long before I can share the first proto.

The body is a little thicker than planned, mainly to enable the extendable telescopic function
... default size is for a 10250 but can be quickly extended to 10440 size.
Based on Torpedo X feedback, I've redesigned the telescopic part so that
1) It locks into short mode nicely
2) Its quick to extend it (just a few turns rather than tens of turns)
3) No risk of pulling it out of the tube entirely

That required an extra 2mm though.

Its looking to be around 6cm in total length and 1.6cm in diameter.

I've also made 2 additional designs....
One is ultra compact, size of an HF-R but means you'd need to carry around an extra tube to use with 10440.
The other is roughly the size of a USB stick with slide out, extending bottom so you could charge 16340/14500 (and maybe 18650 too) ....it can even have voltage display all in a smaller than gum-stick size.

I thought carefully about the use-case.
For me, I typically want to have a charger in my bag, car or somewhere and possibly on a keychain but that's the rare exception. When I travel, I like to be able to carry a spare battery safely too and so the first design does all those nicely.

Didn't want to spend forever though on working on too many versions at once as that would extend the timeline by months (speaking from experience) but once the first charger is born, I'll definitely looks at offering the others too.

Awaiting HFTiny proto's from two different facilities...
Want to compare the machining quality.

Mostly set on the new HF/HF-R head design and I've ordered samples.
The critical factor is going to be that it can handle the heat transfer adequately but as long as that part is good, its going to be much easier to customize the LED choice and even buy some spare LED engines so you can swap those out yourself too.
Basically a copper drop-in for the HF/HF-Rs.

I've been designing like crazy but as the product line grows, my time seems to evaporate logarithmically.
Each design takes a ton of back and forth mails to very custom components, parts, machining specs.
Then prototypes, then feedback....
I have a long long list of new things to do/make but wow, I'm finding time to be a huge constraint and nothing seems to move quickly enough.

I've found a new machining facility that looks very promising (after communicating with a bunch in the last couple of weeks) and have some samples underway to confirm quality.
For now, that seems to be the slowest part of things.

I'm still very fortunate to be able to call this my hobby and even more fortunate to have so much support from everyone here (and yes that's well wishing lurkers too).
It means I have no bosses to answer to, no budgets to meet and no whips to avoid.
Its all purely for fun and pleasure. I can be a little slow on days my inbox gets flooded but I still enjoy answering every single question and in case I've missed any mails, do feel welcome to remind me (Gmail is great at drowning/hiding emails when my inbox has a crazy day).

I have no intention of making things for the purpose of just selling something. No, no, no...
Its got to be something I'd want to personally use and at the very least meet my need better than anything else I can readily buy. That's also a cause of slowness....
Because I want it to be perfect, I end up tweaking, re-tweaking, improving, re-designing...

I just have to remind myself to pause the development when something is already working great, and share a version with you all, before I tweak it further.

That was a bit of a long one...
Working really hard on being able to share something new in-time for christmas.

Tgwnn

..posted this several hours ago only to see its not been posted...
at least it didn't vanish

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't post very often but I am following these threads closely. I would love a hf tiny in ti. Also what's the eta roughly in the charges guy. Very interested in these. Also can't wait for the zeus and torpedo. Hf is still going strong as my edc. Had it a while now!!

Hi invisible_kid,

HF Tiny, a strong chance we can make it in time for christmas.
The chargers are quite close too, as mentioned above I need to finalize/verify the body format to ensure the mechanical function is as envisioned but thankfully for this the electronics are stable so the mechanics should not be too great a challenge to get right in time for christmas too.

Tgwnn

invisible_kid

Newly Enlightened
Thats cool. I don't mind if I can't get them for xmas just don't like waiting months lol I plan to go to Japan in a couple of years been a bit of a ambition of mine for a long time. It's cool to know you make these over there.

A.D.D.i.c.t.

Newly Enlightened
The other is roughly the size of a USB stick with slide out, extending bottom so you could charge 16340/14500 (and maybe 18650 too) ....it can even have voltage display all in a smaller than gum-stick size.

I'm in for this Guy! Especially with a voltmeter, yes yes yes! I need one for my edc bag.

Thanks again for all you do, I don't say it enough. And I've got to remember to email you about my HF-R.

Anyhow, thanks!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats cool. I don't mind if I can't get them for xmas just don't like waiting months lol I plan to go to Japan in a couple of years been a bit of a ambition of mine for a long time. It's cool to know you make these over there.

Thanks invisible_kid,
I'm not fond of the waiting part myself :)
I'm waiting for a 3D printer that does metal to be available, that should speed things up massively.
The project I was following on that had a timeline of sometime next year.
It would make same day, fully functional prototypes a reality.

I'm in for this Guy! Especially with a voltmeter, yes yes yes! I need one for my edc bag.

Thanks again for all you do, I don't say it enough. And I've got to remember to email you about my HF-R.

Anyhow, thanks!
Thanks A.D.D.i.c.t.,

My pleasure of course.

Could be 6months before I get to the voltmeter version and I've been purposely slow on that as CottonPickers has a very cool selection already and wanted to avoid any unnecessary impact to his product line for as long as possible. Now that digital feedback is becoming somewhat a norm (with Xtar, NightCore and other AC chargers implementing them) it does seem like less of a sensitive point and of course an MBI version will always have a very stylish and functionally unique design.

Feel free to mail anytime of course.

Tgwnn

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've also made 2 additional designs....
One is ultra compact, size of an HF-R but means you'd need to carry around an extra tube to use with 10440.
Yes, me too! I want this one!

Could be 6months before I get to the voltmeter version and I've been purposely slow on that as CottonPickers has a very cool selection already and wanted to avoid any unnecessary impact to his product line for as long as possible. Now that digital feedback is becoming somewhat a norm (with Xtar, NightCore and other AC chargers implementing them) it does seem like less of a sensitive point and of course an MBI version will always have a very stylish and functionally unique design.
If you can do the ultra-compact charger design while eliminating the weak point of magnets that pull off their soldered connections it would in itself set them far apart from what I've been carrying the last couple years.

Looking forward to all the new items. :)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have been saving up to get your new goodies as a christmas prezzie for myself!! Cant wait :D
Thanks ZzmadzZ,

Working at it. Still a little challenging to predict the exact timeline until I've confirmed pre-production protos but definitely working hard towards them.

Yes, me too! I want this one!

If you can do the ultra-compact charger design while eliminating the weak point of magnets that pull off their soldered connections it would in itself set them far apart from what I've been carrying the last couple years.

Looking forward to all the new items. :)
Thanks kaichu dento,

The ultra-compact charger design part is done without the weakpoint and plenty enhancements.
I want to get the first charger out though as a product otherwise I end up with 20 in-development products which swallows large amounts of money (and fast) so trying to maintain some modest amount of discipline in getting a version out first, confirming its good and then look at the next.

Tgwnn

ChibiM

Enlightened
busy busy busy...
Im still confused about most things you are talking about.... but maybe 1 days I will understand it.. I guess I`m a slow learner ;)
waiting for some new snapshots

porous

Newly Enlightened
Hi. New to this thread, and to CPF. In fact, the HF-R is the first artifact of any kind to move me to join an otaku-type discussion (and at 39 my tendencies are pretty stable). I am absolutely smitten.

I've read through the past six months of this thread and the MBI website and Fb timeline, but, given how many new offerings the Guy has in the works, I'm still a bit confused about the timing. Could someone help me understand (or point me somewhere where I could figure it out) what's happening when? Let me see if I have it straight:

* A new production run of the 3-mode HF-R aluminium is in the offing? Is preorder possible? (I did sign up for the restock notification)
* Torpedo and Zeus production runs expected before end of calendar 2014?
* Apollo: Is this to be a AAA Zeus? For 2015.Q1ish?
* Li-ion charger in the HF-R form factor: First production run 2014.Q4, with voltimeter sometime in 2015?

I'm in for an HF-R and a charger (possibly the one the Guy showed a few weeks back) at earliest availability. I'm finishing a Big, Complicated book (manuscript due with the editor in January), it's been a grueling year, and the light at the end of the tunnel is definitely coming from an HF-R.