Meet "Spike"

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hummers actually"vocalize" as they are dining on nectar from a feeder, not much or very loud but a chirp on each dive into the feeder. Wait till they include you as a part of their acrobatic dives, it is like they see how close they can fly w/o nailing you.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It's starting to get ridicoulus about Spike...

No other Hummer gets where I can even tell coloring or M/F.

It's starting to get on my nerves...

GOTTA get another feeder for a more open area (near window and not hanging from tree where Spike can hide and dive on every other Hummer!)

I'm not quite mean enough to move this feeder though.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
my hummers sing quite bit -- though it is so high pitched it sounds more like a metallic buzzing/nails-on-blackboard kind of screeching of sound than actual singing...

btw the hummingbird uses the 'gorget' patch on the throat to reflect light at will. The feathers are actually colorless and act like prisms to make the colors..the bird can turn the reflection on and off by moving the feathers -- they have a narrow beam angle and are aimed, usually used as a scare tactic; turning them on as they attack, to scare the other hummer (sometimes me) out of the way. If I don't duck, they veer off at the very last second -- so far.

(has anyone gone to the er with a hummer stuck in his eye?)

my feeder is a "humzinger" -- they don't leak as much as the feeder-tube types -- http://www.hummzinger.biz/humzinger.htm

(Empy -- you're link not working fer me..'loads' a blank page...)

Last edited:

Empath

Flashaholic
I don't know why the link isn't working for you. I tried it in both IE and Firefox.

I don't know. You can't get the baby bird images, and I can't get the blank page. It's a terrible situation, for sure. :shrug:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Em, well, just in case others are having the same prob I will report here that on the last try I got two cookies from the site, (which I accepted) and then the page went blank. :shrug: any clue? seems like a temporary prob..I'll keep trying.

DarkLight

Enlightened
I love em too!

GREAT PICS PB JOE...they are tough to photograph they dont hang around long...

I get about 4 diff ones they seem to time it so they dont meet up!

(have seen em fight once)..

My bee!

bee_003.jpg

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
there has been a hummingbird feeding from our feeder for years... we call him Freddy- we dont know if it is bird, but if a hummingbird comes to our feeder, it inherits the name ;)

-David

was_jlh

Enlightened
i've got the ants under control, does anyone have a deterrent to keep the yellow-jackets away?

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Empy, finally got to see the nest pics.. prety amazing -- look at that nest material; tiny little twigs and the rest thick pure white fibrous soft stuff! wonder what it is and where they picked it up?

I see the hummers picking long hairlike strands from the palm tree leaves; looks like corn silk, but it's very strong..I imagine them picking up the balls of hair I throw outside after grooming the kitty to raise a family in..

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I put a little one position feeder up outside the kitchen window. Man, the level of "nectar" went down FAST!

I have a total of three feeders up, and one bird for each "guards" each one!

I have another mini feeder and one more big one for when I get some time to figure out where to put them.

They are REALLY REALLY Cool creatures!!!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I had finally got down to cruise the Cafe this evening. The local news is in the background yakking about some human interest story. Something about this nice man that bands hummingbirds. I turn around in time to see the reporter holding what looked to be a dead hummingbird in the palm of her hand.

"What do I do?", she said.

Perk Floyd responds, "You can wait a little or just shake your hand."

She shook her hand a little and that little bird took off like a rocket.

So I Googled good 'ol Perk and apparently he's a fairly highly regarded fellow among bird folks and ornithologist. Anyway, on the following site the mechanism that causes these little critters to seem to come alive again is explained. The site has a few nice pics too.

cherylsgardenparty.com and Perk Floyd

It was surprising to see that "dead" bird go ballistic. And Perk lives just down the road from me. Huh. How about that?

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It would help matters GREATLY if I could get a Canon Digital Picture body...

I probably wasted most of them but took 12 shots with my Eos 650...

If any of them come out good, I'll get it/them made into digital so I can post 'em.