Meijer Recalls December Home Branded “Candelabra” Style Light Bulbs Due to Laceration Hazard

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Name of Product:
DECEMBER HOME® Replacement Light Bulbs

Hazard:

Some packages of the light bulbs can include 3V bulbs intended for battery powered fixtures instead of the 120V versions as labeled. If a 3V bulb is used in a 120V fixture, it can burst, posing a laceration hazard to consumers.

Remedy:

Refund

Recall Date:
February 01, 2024

Units:

About 19,200

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yikes. I've always assumed those would be 120v bulbs for plug-in candelabra lights. Apparently that one version was intended for battery-powered candlebras and wasn't clearly labeled as such.

I also worry about those 12v camper bulbs with the standard E26 edison base being put into 120v sockets.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 3v LED filament bulb with E26 base and appearance which could easily be mistaken for 120vac, scary thought that the two could get mixed up. The 3v version has no markings whatsoever.

Dave

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I have a 3v LED filament bulb with E26 base and appearance which could easily be mistaken for 120vac, scary thought that the two could get mixed up. The 3v version has no markings whatsoever.

Dave
I'm guessing this is one of those patio string lights?

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing this is one of those patio string lights?
Actually no, replacement patio bulbs I see locally are 120v (1W 50 lumens) with single filament. Mine is in a nice decorative light which runs on 2AAA. It appeared briefly in a local store for $4, then disappeared and has not been seen since.

Dave

LED_filament_lamp_2AAA.JPG

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Actually no, replacement patio bulbs I see locally are 120v (1W 50 lumens) with single filament. Mine is in a nice decorative light which runs on 2AAA. It appeared briefly in a local store for $4, then disappeared and has not been seen since.

Dave

View attachment 57377
Interesting. I wonder if they disappeared because people were installing that 3v bulb in 120v sockets. :poof:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yikes. I've always assumed those would be 120v bulbs for plug-in candelabra lights. Apparently that one version was intended for battery-powered candlebras and wasn't clearly labeled as such.

I also worry about those 12v camper bulbs with the standard E26 edison base being put into 120v sockets.
In addition to 12v E26 base incan 120v risk, obscure one from a way back relates to flash bulbs. My dad did amateur photography decades ago. He used some A19-sized bulbs stuffed with fine magnesium wire, which were fired at low voltage, with E26 base. The reason I know this is in my younger days I decided to trigger one of these outside in the laneway between houses, using a 6v lantern battery. Taking precautions not to get close, and not look directly at the bulb, I fired one off at noon on a sunny day. My mom later commented that (inside the house) she had seen a bright flash (in bright sunlight).

I think I still have a few of these around.

Dave

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
... in my younger days I decided to trigger one of these outside in the laneway between houses, using a 6v lantern battery. Taking precautions not to get close, and not look directly at the bulb, I fired one off at noon on a sunny day.
I did the very same thing with the very same A19 flash bulb a long time ago. In my case I had run some outdoor wiring for a yard light and I wanted to check continuity of the wiring before connecting it to power. :poof: Yes, it works. :cool:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
At a thrift shop I just found a slightly larger version of this 2AAA lamp using A19 size low-voltage filament bulb. Fortunately, bulb seems to be non-removable, glued or soldered into the base; saves possible "flash bulb" event for unaware people.

I wish they had designed base to take 2AA, there is enough room; common complaint of mine with certain AAA devices.

Dave