Milkyspit's MC2 Thread (also Milky Tester)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob_G

Enlightened
Scott,

Nice to see you getting back into the swing of things :D

On the MC2, will it work with 2xR123 3.7V? I don't use primaries much anymore, but I'd like it for a permanent night light basically.

If rechargeables are no problem, put me down for two please :)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. The support is tremendous! :eek:

Bob_G: The MC2 will indeed support 2xR123... it's actually designed to adapt to a wide variety of battery configurations. For example, around home I've got a number of hand-wired prototypes running on 1x123, 2x123, 3AA NiMH, 4AA alkalines, 4D alkalines, and even a 6V lantern battery! (The lantern battery configuration can run 24/7 in nightlight mode for well over a year... just how much longer is an open issue, as the runtime test takes a really long time!) ;) Anyway, you're on the list for 2MC2. Thanks! :)

NetMage

Enlightened
Scott,

Long time, etc...

ANYway, just making sure I'm down for 2xMC2 when they arrive!

Let's add a MT as well.

BTW, the MC2 motto should more likely be

MC2:Because an electron is a terrible thing to waste!

(Or maybe that should be Because the electron is a terrible thing to waste :) )

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
editedby: Got it. Thanks! :)

Just to show that things haven't come to a complete standstill, here are a couple photos of the new, improved prototype of the Milky Tester... this version has less risk of cooking the LED while testing a 123 cell...

(BTW, I'm calling this one the MT2 to match the MC2 abbreviation, but no worries, anyone who's expressed interest in the Milky Tester will in fact receive the LATEST version once they begin shipping.)

The MT2 In All Its Glory (hee hee) :D
img-cpf-mt2-nobatt.jpg

Testing a Good 123 Cell... Note the Glowing LED Beneath the Label
img-cpf-mt2-goodbatt.jpg

That's it! Now off to the dentist. :(

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
No prices or dates have been set yet, right? I looked through the string and couldn't find any. Anyway, please put me down for a Tester and a Candle2, pending price. Thanks!

Joe

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joe T: got you listed for 1xMC2 and 1xMT2... no specific date set... no specific price, though I've informally been estimating around $40 for the MC2 and $10 (maybe a bit more?) for the MT2. Those are just estimates, but probably not terribly far from reality. One goal for this particular project is to keep pricing down, at least in CPF terms. :)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bad news: got laid off last Friday. :(

Good news (sort of): more time to focus on MC2. :p

Random musing: things have changed in the world since building the original Milky Candle, but there's still a need for a super long-running emergency light/battery drainer as the case may be. Given the passage of time and the fact that I never (yet) did order an obscene number of prebuilt boards, I'm going to take my lemons and make lemonade(!) so to speak, and add a couple niceties that I'd always wanted into the design... now more than ever, these things are possible! :naughty: Keeping it under wraps for now but for all the patient folk out there, your patience will be rewarded, I promise you.

Keep the faith! :thumbsup:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's horrible to hear about your lay off, Milky! Alteast you can probably use unemployement and Cobra insurance until you get another job, right?
It's very enheartening to see you take such a positive spin on all of this.
I'm sure I speak for plenty when I say I eagerly await more news on the MC2!:popcorn:

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
Hey Milky,

You have my condolences about your recent involuntary seperation from your place of employment. (Brief tangent alert). I haven't been very active on CPF lately, but in the past I am sure that I have read and participated in many threads. What does this have to do with anything, you may ask? Just that I can no longer remember any of them, except for the USL threads, the original Milky Candle thread, and the thread where you derived a battery measurement (the equivalent of flash amps), which you called MUC. Those threads have stuck with me because of the creativity and intelligence shown in them. In short, (if that's even possible now), I am absolutely sure that your former employers lost more than they know. I sincerely hope that everything turns out well for you and your family.

Sturluson

Enlightened
Milkyspit, I hope you do find gallons of lemonade coming your way! I've read this thread and most of the previous one and believe you have an extremely useful and do-able project here.

Please put me down for 3 MC2 and 1 MT2, and thanks...

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, you are the most supportive, wonderful bunch of people an out of work dude could imagine! Your kind words have done more than you know in keeping my spirits up, even inspiring me! :laughing:

:bow:

Sturluson, you're waitlisted: 3 MC2 and 1 MT2.

LATEST TESTER PROTOTYPE

Wanted to share with you yet another prototype of the MT2 (Milky Tester v2)... this one's quite a bit different from previous attempts... I wanted to make something a little more easily pocketable (or at least more streamlined), find a way to make it a bit easier to build, and make the indicator LED more robust, so burnout will be less of a possibility should you leave the cell in there a bit too long. This one uses a low dome GREEN Luxeon 1W LED! Some photos...

The new MT2 standing at attention. ;)
img-cpf-mt2-standing.jpg

Laying on its side... right now there's nothing to keep it from rolling over, but that shouldn't much matter! Kinda reminds me of those weebles (kids toys) from when I was a little Milky... does anyone remember the television commercials? "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down."
img-cpf-mt2-weeble.jpg

Staring into the mouth of the beast. (hee hee) :p
img-cpf-mt2-lookdown.jpg

Remember, the MT2 is designed to test 123 cells for suitability in running the MC2 for a reasonable amount of time... so, for example, a pair of 123 cells that won't even light a SureFire E2E might test as perfectly good for Milky Candle purposes. If the LED lights up at all, then the battery ought to run in the MC2 on all three output levels for at least a few hours (probably a few DOZENS of hours in nightlight mode).

This battery is dead.
img-cpf-mt2-batt-dead.jpg

This battery is okay.
img-cpf-mt2-batt-okay.jpg

This battery is GREAT! :)
img-cpf-mt2-batt-strong.jpg

BTW, it's best to hold the tester in one's palm and look for the green light reflecting off the PVC in the head... otherwise, as the last photo shows, your eyes might be in for a world of pain! :eek:oo:

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
I just noticed this thread, great concept! Sorry to hear about the layoff and hope you get yourself sorted out soon. Lemonade for sure! Please put me down for a trio of MC candles if its not too late. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts