Minimal Lighting - your minimalist "Keepers"

Amelia

Enlightened
Hi everyone!

I posted in another thread about how my light collection has started to seem "excessive" lately, and how I'm a bit slow when it comes to simplifying and pruning stuff. With that out of the way, I've been giving serious thought lately to what I actually NEED in the way of lighting, and what lights I'd keep if I decided to sell most of them. This is what I've come up with, based on my needs and uses:

Headlamp: This is my most useful/used light category. If I ever had to prune down to a single light, it would undoubtably be a headlamp. I like both AA (for low weight and battery availability) and 18650 (for long runtime, brightness, and battery interchangeability with my main handheld lights). After years of headlamp use, I've found that floody lamps with "smoothed" hotspots are the best for my needs - the "F" series Zebralights are the best I've found.
*Picks: Zebralight H600Fw, Zebralight H52Fw

EDC: Needs to be easy to carry (light weight and compact). Needs long runtime, as it typically gets used more than my other lights. Needs to be rugged/durable, it gets dropped a lot (I'm a klutz). Must be waterproof. Must have several output level options, from moonlight to at least 100 Lumens. Must have reasonably high CRI, for household tasks involving colored labels, wires, and noticing stains.
*Picks: Zebralight SC62d, Sunwayman V11R Neutral White (Modded for 16650 with 2 bored Ext. tubes)
Note: This is a really hard category to try and simplify to just 1 light. My current EDC is the SWM V11R, but it has some drawbacks. It's my only light that uses 16650. CRI could be better. Pocket clip is lame. Low level is a touch too high. The SC62d solves all these problems, but is just "Meh..." in comparison - the V11R has a level of "class" and intrinsic beauty that you have to experience firsthand to really understand what I'm talking about!

Hiking Thrower: This light works as a team with my headlamp, to project light into places the headlamp can't reach. Spends a lot of time in my hands or backpack pocket, so it needs to be small and as light a weight as possible. Needs at least 200 yards of USEABLE light, in order to notice signs, animals, humans, puddles, and rock obstructions. This translates to around 400 yards of spec'ed "ANSI" throw. Needs to be reasonably high CRI to make out things like a snake against a rock background, etc. Needs to be warmer tint to cut through dust and fog.
*Picks: EagleTac S200C2 (NW Emitter), Armytek Predator Pro 2.5 (Warm)
Notes: I'm liking the Armytek more and more as time goes on. Really versatile and tough! However, the new (and unreleased so far) EagleTac T25C2 with HI emitter might end up being the ultimate light for this role, we'll see in a few weeks! :)

General Purpose Flooder: Light up the back yard. Fill an entire room with light. Illuminate your world - a good general purpose flooder is great! I've got a lot of lights that fit this category, but only one that I keep going back to over and over again. So beautiful... so truly universal and general purpose. It's my favorite light ever! :)
*Pick: EagleTac MX25L3C (Nichia 219)

Multi-Fueller: A light that can run on any battery option, from CR123 to AAA Eneloop to 18650. Paper and tinfoil spacers might be required, but in an emergency that would be the least of my concerns. Along with ultimate battery versatility, it must have low modes for LONG runtimes. This is my "hide in a cave for 3 weeks while mad max is being nuked by illuminati aliens" light.
*Pick: Nitecore SRT3, with the body and 2 extender tubes bored to 18mm. An SRT3 head on an SRT5 body "Lego" will work if modding is not an option, but that option is clumsier and more difficult to use short cells in. I know - I've tried both.

Lights to just have: Yeah... just to have. Because I want them and like them, and because I can. Not "collectors items", these actually get some use... though they're not hugely useful or filling an important role, or even used all that much - but unique lights I still wouldn't want to be without.
*Picks: Thrunite TN32 and TN35vn, Nitecore CU6, Zebralight SC52d, EagleTac D25A Ti N219, Sunwayman D40A

Sentimental Value: Lights I would keep because they hold some memory or personal importance. Not really "users", just lights I'm attached to.
*Picks: Surefire L1 Gen. 1 Red Emitter (My first light ever), Surefire L1 Gen. 1 White Emitter (My first EDC, and my only real "user" light for many years).

And that's it. 16 lights out of a collection of around 100. I think I could, at this point, sell all of my other lights and not miss them. In fact, I'm seriously considering doing just that... and possibly soon! :)

So... what do you all think about minimal light collections? What do all of you consider to be your "essentials" and the only lights you'd keep if you ever decided to minimalize? Looking forward to reading about your choices and why they are important to you!

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is similar to the thread "Your top 5 lights to meet all needs". I was able to narrow down to 5 categories and more than 15 lights.

1. Throw
2. Flood
3. In my pocket
4. In my bag or coat pocket
5. Key chain duty

Last edited:

Amelia

Enlightened
This is similar to the thread "Your top 5 lights to meet all needs". I was able to narrow down to 5 categories and more than 15 lights.

Yeah, it kind of is in a way, but I wanted to start a discussion about real-world practical minimalization and simplification of light collections... without limiting it to some hypothetical and arbitrary "Pick X lights for all needs" type of thread. Simplification of my overly bloated collection has been on my mind a lot lately, after years of going the other direction and buying every new light that came along with incremental improvements or new features. It's time for me to start going the other direction, and let go of the lights that aren't adding something good to my life. I know this ideal goes against a lot of what this forum is about, but I really did want to get some input on what other members thought about a minimal collection, what it would look like, why the remaining lights were chosen, and how the decision would be reached.

Hope that makes sense! :)

markr6

Flashaholic
I could get by just fine with these and would probably never sell (unless I wanted to update with a new version):

Zebralight H600w II
Zebralight SC52w
EagleTac S200C2

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does make sense. When I was able to narrow down to 5 categories and my go to lights in those categories, I realized I had extra baggage that I could get rid of. This was especially true for the extreme throw and flood lights. I realized that I had 3 throw and 2 floody lights that I used 90% of the time. I still have the other throw and flood lights, but now I give them dirty looks (or they give me dirty looks). I guess that if I wanted to minimalize or get simple, I could get rid of these extra lights. So I think what your saying does make sense and I think are categories are pretty close. It's how you use a light that counts, not the color.

Amelia

Enlightened
If custom lights are allowed I would say my Surefire E2E with a Tana XP-E2 TripLED mod

Anything you want - as few or as many lights of any kind that you think you need... the theme here being a pruned down "minimal" collection that you could live with, and be happy with.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
...........And that's it. 16 lights out of a collection of around 100. I think I could, at this point, sell all of my other lights and not miss them. In fact, I'm seriously considering doing just that... and possibly soon! :)
16 is about my total count. I'd say that I have purchased over the years 3 times that many but I sell the ones I'm not that interested in.

Amelia

Enlightened
16 is about my total count. I'd say that I have purchased over the years 3 times that many but I sell the ones I'm not that interested in.

I would love to see a list of your lights, and why you chose to keep them! :)

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm headed in the minimal direction as well Amelia. In fact, I envy the few guys around here who truly own one or two lights and find contentment there.

Im mostly into EDC type lights, so my minimal collection would include the following, listed in order by what I'd keep.

If I only owned one, for general purpose EDC, I'd keep my HDS Clicky 200 HCRI.

If I owned two, for throw oriented EDC, I'd keep my Surefire E1D.

If I owned three, for work, I'd buy (don't own currently) a Surefire P1R Peacekeeper.

If I owned four, I would also need to acquire a headlamp, probably a Zebra H32fw.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to see a list of your lights, and why you chose to keep them!
Single AA

Fenix E12
EagleTac D25A mini XP-G2

For single AA, I like something small and even though I prefer tactical forward tail cap switches, these 2 are my favorites in this category because of size, price and excellent efficiency/ regulation. Bigger 1xAA lights aren't much smaller than my PD32.....so don't see the point in them.

Xeno EO3 -> my wifes's because it's "blue". My wife likes pretty lights rather than black ones. Beam is excellent though, but I'll take one of the above over this one.

ArmyTec Viking Pro V3 -> my first AT light.....wanted something with some throw + I like the level of the low modes.

Fenix PD32 XP-G2, 2B -> I placed the LED on this one and love the tint. The PD32 is one of my favorite lights because of its size. I have learned that lumens isn't everything, when it comes to efficiency and battery life.

Nitecore SRT6, XM=L2 -> I love the control ring. Light is bit big but a good all around light from low to high.

Fenix PD35, XM-L2 -> Good all purpose light but the low is too high and the hot spot transition to corona too pronounced. I want either a thrower or more diffused transition from hot spot to spill. Considering selling this one.

EagleTac D25LC2 Mini XP-G2 - Small for a 18650 light. I like it except for the low mode isn't as low as ET states. Considering sell it too.

CR123A/16340

Sunwayman V11R -> I love the control ring and how low you can take it. I am not a big fan of moonlight modes but this one isn't fixed either and I can set it where I want. This one would fit into my absolute have core of lights. I've loosened the head for when I need to repack the grease as I know that's an issue with some but really no big deal once the head has been broken free of the loctite.

Fenix PD22UE -> Not sure why I like this light other than I just had to try it out. I do like the beam and its pocket ability, and the fact that it runs both CR123A and 16340

EagleTac D25C mini XP-G2 -> Also not a must have light for me but I do like how small it is. Only runs CR123A reliably though. Has a decent beam and tint, and was inexpensive.

AAA

Fenix E05 -> I like this over the Olight i3 because it starts out in low. My wife has a "blue" i3.
Fenix E01 -> Not sure why I have this other than had to try it out. Great light for when you need something small and don't care if you lose it or drop it. Not impressed with the bluish tint though does have long run time.
Rayus C01, Nichia LED --> I like this single level light. Tint is neutral.

2xAAA

Terralux LS 80 -> Price was good when I got them. I have several and actually use this light as my kitchen drawer utility light. I won't cry if it gets dropped, scratched or goes missing. It's not as efficient as the Streamlight Stylus Pro but does have an easier switch to push. My wife likes her "blue" Stylus Pro.

2xAA

iTP SA2 -> This is my trucks glove box light with Energizer lithium L91's in it. For the most part I am not a fan of 2xAA lights because most can't get the low modes out of a pair of new L91's because the voltage is above the Vf of the LED. This light will and it also has an infinite variable adjust to it. It's also one of the more efficient 2xAA lights I have tested. I did upgrade the LED to XP-G2. This is one of my core keepers. It's a little big but they don't make them anymore.

Olight T25T, XP-G2 -> I only have this light because it was on a super good sale. I keep it in one of my other cars glove box. It's probably the only reason I keep it is to have AA battery capability for emergency car lights.

4xAA

Sunwayman D40A, neutral -> I like this light as it has the output of the 18650 lights only it uses AA's. So just trying to be a little diversified. I like how stable it is on the table top with a diffuser. Also has a good low mode and nice beam. It's somewhat of a thrower and only the Viking Pro can out throw it in my collection.

Headlamp

Princeton Tec EOS -> I modded with Seoul Semiconductor P4 and new reflector. I'm not really a fan of 3xAAA lights but this one has a sweet beam and there is sentimental value here.

Fenix HL50 -> Neutral tint, light weight, will run on 1xAA or 1xCR123A. This is my go to headlamp. This is a keeper in my core list.

So that about covers my needs: thrower, pocket size, headlamp, candlestick, glovebox, emergency, utility drawer, and various batteries.

Last edited:

Amelia

Enlightened
I'm headed in the minimal direction as well Amelia. In fact, I envy the few guys around here who truly own one or two lights and find contentment there.

Im mostly into EDC type lights, so my minimal collection would include the following, listed in order by what I'd keep.

If I only owned one, for general purpose EDC, I'd keep my HDS Clicky 200 HCRI.

If I owned two, for throw oriented EDC, I'd keep my Surefire E1D.

If I owned three, for work, I'd buy (don't own currently) a Surefire P1R Peacekeeper.

If I owned four, I would also need to acquire a headlamp, probably a Zebra H32fw.

Excellent way of thinking about it! Really prioritizes it! :D

For me:

Only 1: Zebralight H600Fw
Only 2: ZL H600Fw + Zebralight SC62d
Only 3: ZL H600Fw + ZL SC62d + EagleTac MX25L3C (Nichia 219)
Only 4: ZL H600Fw + ZL SC62d + ET MX25L3C(N219) + Armytek Predator Pro 2.5
Only 5: ZL H600Fw + ZL SC62d + ET MX25L3C(N219) + AT Predpro2.5 + Thrunite TN35vn
Only 6: ZL H600Fw + ZL SC62d + ET MX25L3C(N219) + AT Predpro2.5 + TN TN35vn + SRT3 Mod

6 for everything. Only 1 Battery type (18650). Hmmm... this simplification task might be easier than I thought! :)

Though I would miss the Sunwayman V11R terribly... :(

Last edited:

chuckhov

Enlightened
This is too Funny.

Here you seasoned individuals are talking about curing 'Yourself' of "The Disease". - Not gonna happen!

As for the guys that are content with just one or two lights, I summit that they have thus far somehow managed to elude Infection.

JMHO,
-Chuck

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Amelia,
If I were to go minimalist...

AAA DQG on my keychain... it is my EDC with a NW XPG2 emitter. An AAA has about 1/3rd the run time of a single AA, but it is small!

I'd get a better XM-L2 NW 18650 headlamp. I have some 3*AAA ones, and a cheap 18650 XML zoomie.

My general purpose light would be my Convoy S2+ driven at 1400ma. It's an 18650 XM-L2 NW.
1400ma, gives decent output, it is relatively floody, with a broad hot-spot, and it'll give a 45 Lumen low for about 40 hours. That'll last 3 nights to a week of decent output in a power outage, or camping trip, depending upon useage.

Then it would be a toss up between:

1. Solarforce L2N with an XM-L2 driven at 2.8 amps or
  2. A Convoy C8 also driven at 2.8 amps.
These two lights won't get the run-times of the S2+, which is a consideration if I needed to, or wanted to, conserve battery time. And their hot-spots are a little tight for close up work, the C8 being tighter than the L2N, but both throw further, without being crazy far throwers (where I would need binoculars to see what they are lighting up). This might make them a little better for outdoor work, without being particularly big and bulky.

Ooops! I almost forgot my car lights.
I keep a 2AA Rayovac Indestructible with a Red Traffic Diffuser in a vinyl bag clipped to my ashtray, for instant access. Good run-times, dependable, the rubberized head holds the diffuser solidly, and it is cheap enough to give away, or not cry about it if it gets stolen.
-------------------------------------

Dual and triple emitter lights are nice, but they are truly rarely needed, and my single cell, single emitter broad throwers get more use.

Now with that being said, I'm not getting rid of my other lights, in part because I have a daughter and two grand-kids that I outfit with lights now and then. And beyond that, the ones that I'd have left to get rid of have such little value, compared to what I paid for them, that I don't want to take the loss. They for the most part are XMLs but are still nice lights.
Thrunite TN30 XML, TN11S XML, Neutron 2C XML, TK35 XML, Niteye MSC20 XML

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is too Funny.

Here you seasoned individuals are talking about curing 'Yourself' of "The Disease". - Not gonna happen!

As for the guys that are content with just one or two lights, I summit that they have thus far somehow managed to elude Infection.

JMHO,
-Chuck
It's a denial thread.
What if I....

Some are completely in the dark too. 😀

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I really had to narrow it down, I would keep a headlamp (probably a Zebralight h52w because I would want at least one AA light), an EDC such as a Malkoff MDC or a Vinh modded rocket like D25c or v11r, a 2 cell p60 light like a Malkoff MD2 with a high low ring, and a thrower like a Hound Dog or something more extreme like a k40vn.

Amelia

Enlightened
It's a denial thread.
What if I....

Some are completely in the dark too. 

Actually, I'm very serious about this. I need to get rid of probably half my lights at minimum, I just don't see the sense in having so many lights that I rarely use. I could use the freed up money for other pursuits, and maybe some toward finalizing my light collection with something like an 18650 HDS rotary that I've never been willing to budget for.

No denial - just a willingness to try and do things differently.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Minimal Lighting - your minimalist "Keepers"

Actually, I'm very serious about this. I need to get rid of probably half my lights at minimum, I just don't see the sense in having so many lights that I rarely use. I could use the freed up money for other pursuits, and maybe some toward finalizing my light collection with something like an 18650 HDS rotary that I've never been willing to budget for.
You got to slow down, have a seat and a drink of water and think, are you spinning out???

If you keep feeling like this, others may wind up with your select precious!!?!!?!!

Be rational, pour a good drink and think, should I wipe out all my work to gather my set and be sheeple happy with so few???

OK, I realize that you're serious and i meant no offense truly, just in case it was thought that way.
Secondly though, YOU'RE MAD I TELL YOU!

I can't narrate a list down, I've only just over half a dozen lights I call worthy, so I'm pleased to keep feeding my addiction.
Maybe you gotta to do some trading to keep blood moving, trade with a lesser off fellow like myself... Lol, kidding 😀

It's funny to watch thread though, you guys would be jones'in for a fix and would feel the need to fill all the empty spaces back up again.

No one gets out, in the dark. 😀

Edit so many typos, my bad, tablet bad too.

Last edited:

Amelia

Enlightened

WarRaven,

Many good points (most of which I'll respectfully ignore! :D ). However, this in particularly caught my eye:

WarRaven said:
...and be sheeple happy with so few...

I could never be happy in the "sheeple" way, with a plastic Rayovac 2D cell tucked away in the closet - too many great lights and too many great times had with them to ever go back! :)

It is also "sheeple" behavior to consume endlessly and gather up way more than you need, without regard to quality and the net effect of the possessions on the quality of your life.

I'd like to strike a balance somewhere in between - maybe a dozen or so really nice lights plus spares, uniquely suited for the types of activities and preferences that I've developed over the years. Lights that suit me and my personality, and say something about the kind of person I am for choosing them instead of the typical hardware store junk. Maybe that's egotistical, but I see it as being discerning and selective, and not just piling up a ton of lights because every week they release a new model with 15 more lumens and a free keychain.

Crazy? I'm here on this forum, so probably. It's the FLAVOR of crazy that makes all the difference though! :)

chuckhov

Enlightened

"I could never be happy in the "sheeple" way, with a plastic Rayovac 2D cell tucked away in the closet"

It's strange behaviour, I know, but every time I go to Wally-World I always have to go look at their flashlights.

There's just something about looking at that Plastic Junk that gives me a feeling of thankfulness; "There go I but for the grace of God"... As in: "My God... Will you just look at what people call flashlights".

And you know what - I have had a 4D Incan Mag for so many years, and I find it really enjoyable to take it out to compare with my modern lights on a weekly basis. - The Only way it ever wins is in CRI, and well 'sometimes' throw. - But I find it good to go back to my roots. We tend to forget and need to take another look back to the way things were, so that we can better appreciate what we have today.

Sorry for the OT Amelia, it's just that what you said spawned visions of junk long gone, in my mind:)

Thanks!
-Chuck