Multi Modes Can Be Fun, BUT How Important?

TITANER

Newly Enlightened
Point, and non-flashaholics generally won't have multi-mode flashlights either. They also tend to think maglites are the best in the world...
I think as time goes on,there would more and more non-flashaholics choise multi-mode flashlights as these are more convenient

Retinator

Enlightened
A simple hi & low mode are great for me. Use the low indoors, high for outdoors.

Then again multimodes hurts justifying carrying more lights. And multiple modes with multiple lights means spending more time in the dark deciding which one do I play with now.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm all about multi-level lights. I want to be able to customize every level and there needs to be at least 3+ levels. Ideal is also a low-low for use in the middle of the night when 0.01 lumens is perfect.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Just like Goldilocks, of Three Bears fame . . . .

I want my flashlight to be:

Not too Dim

Not too Bright

Juuussst Right !

:cool:
_

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just rediscovered torches and it is only because of LEDs and the multi modes they offer.

The fixed brightness ones are never the right brightness. I am a little dubious about the SOS and beacon modes. Strobe is very good for attracting attention, probably better than SOS, and is also really disorientating if you were ever faced with an attacker it would be a good defensive tool.

Many of my torches are very bright, SSC-P7 and SST-50. Obviously I wanted something very bright, but there are unusable close up on high. With the multi modes they are so useful and do it all. The Quark with its super low moon mode and twist to get the highest mode works really well.

The minimum I would consider is two modes, high and low, my ideal would be Super Low, Low, Mid, High with a super high using a twist with the Strobe then available. Of wait, that sounds a lot like a Quark without the SOS.

Multi modes are the only reason I have been buying torches recently.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've re-discovered the single mode flashlight. Is there any significant need for more?

Multimode light is good and useful. But after several Fenixes, Nitecores and Quarks I actually have re-discovered single mode lights. Simple and easy, no need to finding right mode, and no uncertainty which is the present mode. As a flashoholic I usually carry at least two flashlights. If I have a bright single mode flashlight in my jacket pocket and need to read in darkness at close distance I can use my keychain light for a lower brightness.
It's obvious that though all multimode options available there is an interest for simpleness among flashoholics. Just think about Malkoff dropins to Surefire. They are not cheap and have only one mode (except from using high-low mode bezel in MD2), but still they have a secure market.
Yes; of course this may also give the flashoholic a reason to get even more flashlights, and as we know: more flashlights=more fun! :)

Last edited:

strinq

Enlightened
My favourite UI would be a forward clicky with 3 modes and momentary like those found in the eagletac 20 series.
Click for medium, tighten for turbo and quick loose-tight for low low.

hoongern

Enlightened
multimode is essential for me - I dont' want to carry too many things with me, and when I go for a hike, I also want to stargaze. When stargazing, a <0.5lumen mode is essential, and when hiking, a higher mode is needed.

GPB

Enlightened
For me it depends on the situation. The light by the back door that I use to see what made that noise in the yard, can be 1 mode, as bright as possible. I use it for 20 seconds at a time and battery life is never a concern. My "around the house" light needs a bright for running to my car, or getting something in the garage, but also needs a low to check on the kids and navigate my bedroom without waking the wife. The light I keep in the car, might be used to help find a lost item in a parking lot or to change a tire.( ie brighter is better ), but if I go off the road and spend 4 days in a ditch...I want a low mode to last a while.
My favorite light for camping is a 2D Mag with the multi mode LED from a 2xAA minimag. Good brigtness, good run time, unfortunately too heavy, but for car camping not a problem.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
My own personal light culture is very dim. I use far less light than most. For me multi-mode lights offer the best of many worlds. I get to use the low light which I'm used to but I always have more when I need it. I still own and use many one mode lights but I've only EDCed multi-mode lights for years.

scottaw

Enlightened
Really? people on this forum answering single mode?

In this level of technology, multi mode just makes sense, a single cell light can be 200 lumens, but that's WAAAAY too much for up close work, i have to have multi modes or i wont carry a light, actually just sold my last single mode last week.

qazx

Newly Enlightened
ive measured importance. one mode is this important:

[----------]

whereas multimode is this important

[-----------------]

i think youll agree the conclusions are clear

jk037

Newly Enlightened
IMHO it's pretty much essential to have at least a high/low option on an EDC light. At first I was sceptical as to how much use a 3-mode setup would be - surely you either want light or you don't, right?

Errr, no - my logic here was clearly bollix of the highest calibre!

There are occasions where you will need maximum photonage for a relatively short duration. Such as when you're out for a pleasant night-time stroll and hear something odd in the distance...

There are other occasions where you need moderate/low output (e.g. close up work; maintaining night-adapted vision); you may also require illumination for an extended period of time.

Unless you want to carry two separate lights all the time, multi-mode is the only way to achieve both these aims. And of course, for the "in-between" situations, what could be more useful than a medium mode which strikes a balance between extreme output and extreme runtime?

I now view single-mode lights as a compromise, either to achieve a nice small form factor (e.g. Black Cat HM01), a ridiculously low price (e.g. eBay "dollar specials"), or maximum output efficiency.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Multi-modes are very important if you don't want to carry a whole bunch of lights with you.

I've recently aquired and MD2 H/L and it is a great light and would be even better if it had another mode of about 40-50 lumens (or if the low was at around that level). So I still have to use my Quarks for work and the the MD2 stays at home as it doesn't have enough modes.

That said, all my high output lights I would prefer in single mode. I don't want to carry a huge light for 25 lumens. Still, the runtime on 4D's at that level goes into weeks.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
The nice thing about multi-modes (with memory) is that you can use it like a single mode and never use all the modes, but have options if needed.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The nice thing about multi-modes (with memory) is that you can use it like a single mode and never use all the modes, but have options if needed.
Lots of great posts today, but this simple statement is my favorite.

While reading the others and nodding my head I kept thinking how many of our favourites will act as a one mode light when simply turned on or off, but offer more levels/modes when needed. Every light I have on me now acts in this manner, all the way from my Draco, LF2XT and MiNi AA to my Clicky.

Also enjoyed Subwoofer and GPB's posts too.
popcorn.gif

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Multi-modes are very important if you don't want to carry a whole bunch of lights with you.

I've recently aquired and MD2 H/L and it is a great light and would be even better if it had another mode of about 40-50 lumens (or if the low was at around that level). So I still have to use my Quarks for work and the the MD2 stays at home as it doesn't have enough modes.

That said, all my high output lights I would prefer in single mode. I don't want to carry a huge light for 25 lumens. Still, the runtime on 4D's at that level goes into weeks.

I thought the low of the MD2 was around 40 lumens ? Does it seem brighter than that ?