Multi-tools

gtwace

Enlightened
Those that flips open and reveals a plier thing. Which brand is more reliable ? Gerber, SOG or leatherman ? Are there better brands ?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I compared my old leatherman with a gerber that a friend of mine has. They are both about the same size and have about the same tools/features, and I gotta say, the leatherman feels like a higher quality tool than the gerber. I have no experience with SOG. And I wouldn't even bother with those cheap Chinese made piles of junk.

jhereg

Enlightened
Leatherman makes a good multitool. After this election my opinion changed regarding their tools. My current theory is anything but leatherman. Tim Leatherman endorsed Kerry using his company name & title. Lots of us refuse to support him because he did it as his company instead of just as himself.

I think the Leatherman tool is better than the others as a screwdriver. The Gerber tool is better as a pair of pliers. I have broken jaws on two Leatherman Waves. SOG makes a nice tool also. My suggestion is to try/hold the different tools & decide what is best for yourself. Opinions differ. Needs also differ.

Skyline

Enlightened
I have an SOG Paratool. IMHO, the SOG is just as high quality as Leatherman, although it doesn't necessarily look to be the case. Leathermans seem to have a nicer finish on them and look better. However, my SOG has been through hell and it's in the same great condition as when I bought it new.

Jake00

Newly Enlightened
I Have lots Of Leathermans, Had gerbers and Sogs
Now the SwissTool really impress me although ive shuned it before. I love the LM Mini, Old Super tool, But the SwissTool Rocks.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the diamnond file on the Letherman PST2 (that's the best file on any multi tool IMO), the changeable wire cutting blades, and saw blade holder on some Gerbers (the Urban Legends), and the scissors on Gerbers seem to be the most durable. The Swisstools are very solid as well. My favorite is the Gerber Urban Legend 700. My only complaint is that the handles are aluminum, and make the tool thicker. I've owned or own another Gerber with the sliding head, a SOG Powertool, Leatherman PST2, Leatherman Supertool (older model) and a Swisstool.