Multiple P60 Host?

LilKevin715

Enlightened
My ideal multi headed P-60 would be silimar to the Klarus XT20 or the Shadow TC-750X. Even better would be side by side 18650's with two switches on the head one for each dropin. Then the sky would be the limit on dropin combo's. Current would have to shared by both batteries regardless of which side was on or both being on.

From a ergonomics standpoint a 3 18650 parallel setup would be better as the triangle shape would be more round in the end. A 2 parallel setup could be made round as well, but that would be a waste of space in my opinion.

I know everyone has their own opinion but so far I'm really digging a triple P60 host that has a head resembling a Fenix TK45 and a body/battery tube like a Thrunite TM series.

texas cop

Enlightened
SKILHUNT DT-20 Night OWL is more of the light I'm thinking of but not quite as gaudy. Fairly flat for pockets or holsters. Twin dropins of your choice, each running on its own switch but running off of both batteries. The mass between the dropins would be continous fin wrap around as in the Klarus XT20 or the Shadow TC-750X. My ideal style would be dual heads dual batteries. I have a Shadow TC-750X now that I'm running on a single 18650 battery tube, for the needed voltage it uses 2-18350's. On high it draws 2 amps to each led, heat hasn't been an issue, though it does get warm. It's a favorite light that I carry in a cargo pocket. 2-18650's would give me 4 times the run time in a still short package. Triple dropin triple battery starts to get too big for me ideal light.

Last edited:

JulianP

Enlightened
I know everyone has their own opinion but so far I'm really digging a triple P60 host that has a head resembling a Fenix TK45 and a body/battery tube like a Thrunite TM series.

I agree. We must future-proof this product. In two years P60 dropins will be 2000 lumens each, and some will have laser-like surface brightness. The 18650's will have 4500mAh capacity. Not unexpectedly, KD and DX will sell these dropins for $10.99, months before manufacturers announce products with the same LED's.

Those who watched Prometheus know that the Fenix TK45 will still look good in the year 2093.

thijsco19

Newly Enlightened
I have been thinking and came up with this:

So what do you think?

I'm not really good with designing stuff and this is just my first try. I will update it if i improve the design.

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been thinking and came up with this:

8d183565-cb51-4c13-ab02-ffcc197bd8c2_zpsb485a571.jpg

18d31d59-9ef6-4af1-b915-80a37e919b69_zpseecd9470.jpg

So what do you think?

I'm not really good with designing stuff and this is just the oudside.

EXACTLY!

Imagine that with a Triple, a XM-L and an aspheric XP-E drop in. Flood, punch and throw - any one or all three at the same time.

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a first time, that looks great! It's a very useful concept, and mvyrmnd nailed it, if I had something like this I'd set it up the same way.

Imon

Enlightened
EXACTLY!

Imagine that with a Triple, a XM-L and an aspheric XP-E drop in. Flood, punch and throw - any one or all three at the same time.

You mean a larger, heavier version of the Tri-V? :p

Another concept ... how about a 2xP60 host that is slim and has the drop-ins on each end? I have no idea how this would work but it would be cool. :confused:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the idea. This would go well with my Tri-V and can run 3 ridiculously over-driven drop-ins:devil:

thijsco19

Newly Enlightened
This is my second design.
With the first desing the p60 dropin wasn't exactly a drop in, you had te put it on the front.
This second design you have to put the drop in inside de head. That way you have a much less that sticks out and the point of gravity is much closer to the handle wich improve the handling (well I hope it is :grin2:).

lightdelight

Newly Enlightened
Now you're talking! I've dreamed about this light for a long time. It might look prettier if the fins tapered down into the body a bit. My version would run a red, green, and a blue dropin with individual forward clickies. I would also like to maintain a curved triangular cell tube because it could be made smaller, and it would help with orientation. A bit of "braille" or some type of texture near the tail would allow you to feel which light you're about to turn on.

konig

Newly Enlightened
Here is one more example of a host with 4 18650-cells.

The handle is 50mm in diameter.

Last edited:

thijsco19

Newly Enlightened

That's really a nice design! Great work.
You don't mind if I steal some elements?

And with what program did you designed it?
I use SolidWorks (2010), it looks almost the same.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Very nice renderings thijsco19! Words can only describe a concept so much, however a picture is worth a thousand words:). Solarforce lately has been branching out with different types of products such as the T1/T2/S1100. It would be nice if they can go back to their roots with a new P60 (multi) host with a new twist.

From a technical standpoint a multi P60 host would need really good heatsinking in order to dissipate upwards of 30 watts of heat (e.g. 3 XM-L dropins @ 3A each). In some flashlights output is reduced automatically by a timer and/or temperature sensor. With the potential heat output of a multi P60 host a similar safety implementation might be needed as well.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast

This may be more feasible than the TK45-like design simply because it would offer more heatsinking. If the head is solid with a few holes in it for the dropins, it would offer a whole bunch of thermal mass. The fins could even be deeper and finer, offering even more surface area for radiation.