My First Meltdown

My first real mod turned into my first meltdown! I read on one of these posts that three 123's can be used to drive a 6cell mag bulb. 9 volts is 9 volts right? I didn't think heat would be an issue and I made the mistake of choosing an Energizer WaterProof 2AA cell light. First I bored out the plastic inside. What a great fit! Three 123's are very close to the same length of two AA's. Then stole the krypton bulb from my 6 D cell Mag. Wow, this thing rocks. I had to try it outside. After lighting up the entire back yard for about four minutes I noticed an odd smell. Oops, there goes the reflector and the beam pattern made a permanent change for the worse. I've learned a valuable lesson tonight but it was really fun.

Can't wait till my next meltdown.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I wouldn't of thought it would get that hot either considering the Mag reflector is plastic. Must of just been the size, live and learn. Sounds kinda fun.

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
Did the same thing with a Garrity Tuff-Lite 2AA. I got some reflector melt, but it stabilized with most of the reflector still intact. I guess it just needed some burn-in. I think the plastic reflector has a metal backing, which helps maintain its structural integrity.