My First Time Applying Glow Powder...

attowatt

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
attowatt said:
So I use Darkzero's method of 90 minute epoxy and am content with that.
Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

The hardest of all were the photon lights, as I had to make sure they were on a flat surface so the glowpoxy settled evenly.

edit insert: I have only been playing with this stuff for a month, as time goes by, you get better/familiar with the epoxy setup.

I wasnt going to show off epoxy, but since someone already did... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

dsc008413cy.jpg

dsc009889pg.jpg

dsc008440gb.jpg

dsc008507qc.jpg

dsc009544pg.jpg

dsc009708cj.jpg

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Wow, thats great work attowatt!

Especially the Nuwai QII, now I have to do that to mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
Kiu et al, how do you guys keep the epoxy from running off the heatsink's pedestal?

[/ QUOTE ]

The expoxy has a surface tension that make it very easy to control. The expoxy will settle to a smooth surface itself.
If some expoxy running off the heatsink, you can easily remove those run off expoxy without disturbing the applied shape.

Danny,
In my own think, this expoxy is easier to manage than nail polish. It is more easier than that you can imagine.

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
Awesome! I have some crystal clear epoxy but haven't yet tried it for fear of stuffing it up and wasting powder. I use nail polish for the immediate effect of seeing results, and being able to repeat over many days until it is empty.

I'll try to clear epoxy soon - great pics too guys, any tips on that? I have great difficulty in taking decent photographs of glow powder. Camera settings etc.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much powder do you need if your using epoxy? Lets say just enough to cover around the emitter on a hotlips, like Kiu did?

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
attowatt: Very nice!

[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
Kiu et al, how do you guys keep the epoxy from running off the heatsink's pedestal?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you use slow cure epoxy (> 2hrs) wait till it slightly thickens before mixing the glow powder and application. I use Tap 4:1 so it typically takes ~12hrs (@70F/25C), temp dependent. After the first 45minutes of mixing, I throw in the glow powder and wait another 10 minutes then apply it on the hotlips/osink.

[ QUOTE ]
koala said:
How much powder do you need if your using epoxy? Lets say just enough to cover around the emitter on a hotlips, like Kiu did?

[/ QUOTE ]
For one hotlips here's the formula I use:
- 2 drop of epoxy
- equivalent amount of glow powder.

and I apply it with a toothpick or something that sharp, cause then I can move the epoxy around so that it's evenly distributed to form an even circle. It could also be used to wipe of the runny edge if the mixture didn't have enough time to thickens.

attowatt

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KDOG3 said:
What is the point of this particular mod? Extremely low light? It looks interesting...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the preffered method but, Yes you can actually read by this. This light (lux3 x 2-123 batts)has no reflector, it is strictly optics. Oh yeah I went a little crazy applying epoxy/glow pwdr on the tube between optic and led, KNOWING that i would use the glow feature to navigate inside house at night. Keep in mind this is the blue glow powder. Green powder APPEARS brighter.
dsc010010ch.jpg

dsc010030pm.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
OddBall said:

I'll try to clear epoxy soon - great pics too guys, any tips on that? I have great difficulty in taking decent photographs of glow powder. Camera settings etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

OddBall,

As for the pictures I use a sony W1 camera, and try different settings, primarily the candlelight setting-its not a fancy camera and I'm ok with that. As for the epoxy/glow mix here is Darkzero's method, which is tested and true.

[ QUOTE ]
KDOG3 said:
Attowatt:
Your avatar is histerical! I just had to save that!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks KDOG3, I /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif every time I see it, I'm easily amused.

OFF TOPIC:Strangest thing just happened while writing this,
I was using SF G2Z to charge up the blue glow to take pics, and I heard a muted "pop" and felt it ever so slightly from the G2Z. The light stayed on for about 2~3 seconds and then went out on my G2Z /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Surefire must use a stout filament for the wire to burn an additional 2 seconds. Barely went thru 1 set of batt's on this P91 lamp, good thing I still have P90 bulb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can you imagine the explosion behind the glass lens/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif

Jim

dsc010046jr.jpg

dsc010055gl.jpg

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
Magic Smoke!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the tips, I wouldn't have thought to wait that long before applying the powder - it makes sense though.

Attowatt: [ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah I went a little crazy applying epoxy/glow pwdr on the tube between optic and led

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding, MAN!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

More Power.... MORE POWERRRR!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
attowatt, you are one sick glowaholic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Just kidding! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif Man, that's some serious glowing action there. I wonder how my GL3 will look with a glow bezel like yours... hmmmm....

Incidentally, when fully charged, I can read stuff at least 4inches away from the green GID paint container (need dark adapted eyes).

PS. You gotta send that macro shot to Sasha for the 2006 calendar!

Skylighter

Enlightened
You guys have really been doing a lot with the glow powder and paint. I have only two suggestions:

1. White-out is a poor base coat. It is not that bright and it adheres poorly. I would suggest white fingernail polish for small projects or Krylon Glossy White spray paint for larger projects.

2. Premixed glow powder works much better than the powder in nail polish method.

attowatt

Enlightened
Danny,

I am currently using Testors 1/4 oz 1168Flat white. As you stated white out is no good. But have also tried the Testors1145White gloss, but see no difference between the 2 testors- gloss or flat

Jim

Skylighter

Enlightened
Testors works great as an undercoat. In fact, testors makes a great paint. Actually, any good quality paint is great for an undercoat. White-out is just not good as a paint in any regard, so it is not good for this either.

I also haven't seen much difference between gloss and flat. If you really want to get technical, flourescent bright white does the best.

attowatt

Enlightened
Not my first time, but didn't want to start a new thread.

River rock's 2aaa using Darkzero's method of slow setting epoxy: