My List o' Lights For The Road Trip!

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My List o\' Lights For The Road Trip!

Yup, better, it just seemed that the mag was the only "loaner" light. I agree, the small LEDs are the ones to loan, non-CPF's seem pretty impressed by them. The Dorcy is one nice inexpensive little light.

JohnJ80

Enlightened

Just finished a 10 day sailing trip. My lights were:

Primary:
SF A2 Red - most often used, needed to preserve night vision.
SF A2 White - backup EDC, airplane (commercial) or in lighted areas where the red is not bright enough.
SF P6 - backup and brightest for finding buoys and marks at night.
Princeton Tec Aurora Headlamp for reading an working with both hands free
ARC AAA - always on my keychain.

The trick is to get the right combination of lights with the least bulk.

j

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
JohnJ80 said:
Just finished a 10 day sailing trip. My lights were:

Primary:
SF A2 Red - most often used, needed to preserve night vision.
SF A2 White - backup EDC, airplane (commercial) or in lighted areas where the red is not bright enough.
SF P6 - backup and brightest for finding buoys and marks at night.
Princeton Tec Aurora Headlamp for reading an working with both hands free
ARC AAA - always on my keychain.

The trick is to get the right combination of lights with the least bulk.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

You went on a sailing trip without a signal strobe!?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Cyclops942 said:
I'm still trying to find a TurtleLite II copy. So far, I've only seen the TurtleLite I copy and the "Our Best Aluminum Flashlight" copy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can make a TurtleLite II copy. Buy one of the cheap PR base 3 LED bulbs from ebay for about $5, and pickup a 4AA TurtleLite II-style flashlight from the local dollar store... that is, if yours carries them. Reviewum found a bunch in his local dollar store, so they're definitely out there!

Anyway, the knockoff light has a faceted reflector just like the TurtleLite II. The rest is easy: pop in the 3 LED bulb, load the batteries and off you go! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Help me remember... are the LEDs in the T2 "shaped" like the one in the T1 is? If not, I think I'm on my way to making a T3 replica, thanks to these directions.

And to keep this post somewhat on topic, the idea isn't always to get the right combination of lights with the least bulk; sometimes it's to get all the cool lights in one duffel bag!

JohnJ80

Enlightened

Had that too, but its really not a 'flashlight'. Didn't sail at night anyhow, mostly coastal sailing, different anchorage every night.

j

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cyclops942, the LEDs in the T2 are not shaped, they're the standard LEDs.

All, I never mentioned how I carried my lights down here. (I'm still on the trip.) I found a little nylon tool satchel at the local hardware store for $4.95. It's a little over a foot long, six inches wide, and six inches tall, with a zipper along the top and two nylon carry handles. The key feature, though, is a number of pockets along both sides of the outside of the satchel. I stuck all my smaller lights in those, then put the bigger lights in some old socks (for cushioning) and placed inside the satchel. Works like a charm! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Got all 14 lights down here safely AND in a minimum of space.

Latest posts