My tattoo

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The truth is that even with all the precautions, Tat shops still are one of the highest risk locations for transmission of Hepatitis.

There are a few reasons for this:

Even though the vast majority of Tat Shop owners are very reputable and do their best to maintain a clean environment, the profit margin is small for most and they, like any businessman will try to cut any perceived waste. In talking with two patients who are Tat shop owners, their biggest concern is the guys who charge less, because they are always suspicious that they cut those corners.

Here's why the risk is higher:

Most disinfectant solutions don't kill Hep C. Unlike HIV, it is NOT killed by simple disinfection methods like bleach and commercial cleaners.

It can live on a dry surface for many weeks, unlike HIV or most others. It can actually live on the gloves, skin, ink bottles, or tattooing apparatus of the artist for a prolonged period before being transferred.

The virus itself is very virulent. It takes much less viral load to transfer than HIV. Several years ago I saw these stats:

1 in 400 people accidently poked with a needle which had been used to inject an HIV patient would develop HIV, while more than 1 in 4 who were poked with a needle used to inject a Hep C patient would develop Hep C!

The vast majority of Tat shops do good work in a safe environment, and because of Polak's background I would certainly expect him to be able to make that decision appropriately. Remember that not all states or localities have the same requirements, though!

P.S. No Tat shop in the world even approaches the sterility of an operating room!!

Bill

matt_j

Enlightened
I did it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Weeeeeeeeeeee... Now waiting for it to cure.

tat.jpg

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a awsome tattoo man! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Congradulations!

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
matt_j said:
I did it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Weeeeeeeeeeee... Now waiting for it to cure.

tat.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow thats pretty nice! When I didnt see the picture in your first post I thought it was removed for *other* reasons, but now I realized it was appropriate. It looks like it can be washed right off. Does it remain that lustrous after drying?

BTW, can someone tell me what a prince albert is? Ive seen the term used in the thread that LEDmuseum posted.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Everyone,

Just popping in to say I love tattoos, I think they're great. I could get on the subject of tattoos and stay on it for hours. I have 37 tattoos and I do not regret any of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, nice! I saw the original pic before the link disappeared and that looks like a very good rendering of the original.

matt_j

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mags said:
Does it remain that lustrous after drying?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the reason it is so shiny in the picture it's because it has ointment on it. The tattoo will loose its luster in the next few weeks when top layer of skin peels of. After that it will come back and depending on your skin complexion real colors will show with lil bit of shine. I should have waited few weeks before posting a pic but I couldn't wait.

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
ChocolateLab33 said:
Hello Everyone,

Just popping in to say I love tattoos, I think they're great. I could get on the subject of tattoos and stay on it for hours. I have 37 tattoos and I do not regret any of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm... looks like I have some catching up to do... I currently only have 9... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Matt... VERY nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Matt, that tat is very, very cool (or "kool" or "kewl"). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not hard to tattoo straight lines if you have someone with a lot of experience. I have been going to the same woman for my tattoos for 18 years. LOTS of experience!

Lisa

prescottrecorder

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ChocolateLab33 said:
Here's a picture of my Black Labrador Retriever, Misty. She is no longer with me, she passed away from cancer a number of years ago. I had this custom tattoo done a few years before she passed away.
Lisa
http://img283.echo.cx/my.php?image=file00059cu.png

[/ QUOTE ]

Very impressive! Is that done by eye or a picture projected on your skin and traced, or what?