My Tooth Hurts...

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
Yeah, whenever I get work i never use anesthetics. I hate them, not the needles, but the fact i can't taste supper after. I had a toothe pulled w/o it once, very painful, but i won a 10 dollar bet with my dentist saying that i wouldn't flinch, moan or ask for anesthetics during the whole proccess. I say an easy 10 dollars.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a wisdom tooth pulled about 3 years ago, I still have the other 3 at 45 years. Anyhow I was getting another tooth fixed and he found the bad tooth. Took about 30 seconds at the most, crack crack and out. No pain before, during or after either. Very little bleeding too. By far the worst procedure for me is getting my teeth cleaned, I HATE it. So I hope yours goes well! Oh by the way, nitrous oxide helps a bunch at the dentist!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought I'd finish up the story, or at least enter the next chapter here...

Prior to showing up at the office they gave me a Halcion to take. I've never taken a tranquilizer before, so it was interesting. Made me a little sleepy but otherwise I felt OK. Might just have been sleepy from the fact that the kids aren't sleeping too well lately either... But I think it did reduce my anxiety when I got there. Didn't care that they had to stick me in 3 different places before they got an IV going, just smiled and tried to make the girl know she wasn't really hurting me. Then as I was dozing there the doc came in and mentioned that they had given me Versed and I commented that they hadn't given me anything yet, just the halcion, he said he had just injected it into the IV. That is the last thing I remember until after the procedure. Evidently it's a very powerful memory suppressor. I dont remember anything after that at all until my wife was tucking me into bed at home. I can almost remember commenting to her that I was kind of cross eyed while we were riding home. The rest of that first day all I remember really is being generally uncomfortable and her waking me up at intervals to hand out pills.

By the third day the swelling for the teeth sockets was going down and I was off anything more substantial than prescription dose ibuprofen. Unfortunately I am one of those people that for no reason apparent to anybody is prone to canker sores, and they were beginning to blossom all over my gums around where they had worked by this time. So on the 4th and 5th days I was back to taking high powered pain meds to survive that. I get one or two quite frequently and they are a minor annoyance, but this was (and still is) a very impressive display and they take several days to reach their worst and then several more days to start to heal. So it was very depressing to think that all those poor abused swollen tissues in there were now covered in ulcerated lesions. Ouch doesn't quite describe my feelings.

So that brings us up to today. I think today I came over the hump with those too and things start to improve again. But JEEZE those things hurt. Not for the squeamish are the links on wikipedia here

But since I last dug up any info on this 2 separate treatments that actually do something besides numb them have become available. The one I just tried today was called "debacterol" and is basically sulphuric acid. Thats right, a chemical cauterie (which I plan to use as a band name someday...) and it actually seemed to work. I got the prescription today and actually got up the nerve to put sulphuric acid onto an open sore. I did numb it with some benzocaine first as much as possible which I highly recommend first. the documentation that comes with the stuff says that you will experience a "stinging" sensation. they put "stinging" in quotes ;) I was smart to do some numbing first as stinging didn't quite do the sensation justice. But after that it was just not painful anymore. really quite neat. The second area I applied it to was much larger and is not completely numb now, but has changed from a sharp agony to a dull ache, so I'll take that any day. I am waiting for my wife to get home to hold the flashlight for me so I can hit the last big bit of nasty with it.

Now there is also a creme product called aphthasol which I'm also going to get ahold of to try out. My whole life you just look sideways at my gums and they erupt into painful sores and now there are finally things to do about it!

Now if the tooth holes just continue to heal I might survive this.

No bad side effects from the anesthesia that I could note. Felt kind of like I had a cold the second day, but that wore off and then I was only concerned with the fact that the pain was keeping me awake and miserable. But otherwise it was a non-issue, which is good.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Im pulling one wisedom teeth out in januari....We think here that it cost alt to go to the dentist. But compared to the US it isnt much.
the price tag on the tooth Im pulling out is around $200 plus $120 for examination.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
cost not too much different. You're paying $320 for a tooth, I paid $400 including general anesthesia (they knocked me completely out with Fentanyl) So not that much of a difference really. I have no idea what they would have had to put on the bill going to an insurance company to get reimbursed that much, but this is the cash price as we dont have dental insurance.

I hope yours goes well and you heal quickly!

I have my followup appt this morning, hopefully he will be happy with how things are healing and not want to mess with me anymore. I'm really finally feeling better now. Just emotionally to be over the hump and feeling better each morning as opposed to feeling more miserable is a major help in getting through the day ;)

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow don't get me started. I just got a rot canal this morning on one of my molars. I am going back in a few minuts to get the crown started. I have 2 more teeth that also need root canals and crowns. I have no dental insurance and it is expected to cost me around $5000 for everything. Kinda tough to swallow for a full time student. I hate my teeth.

:wow: Its that expensive in the USA???

For that amount of money you can buy a two way ticket to Buenos Aires, stay in a decent hotel, have a nice vacation AND your teeths fixed. I have many friends living overseas that do this very thing once a year.

I need to visit my dentist one of these days, I have coverage, but its not easy to make the decision to go to there... that noise... :eek::eek::eek:

Pablo

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
just had tooth #5 yanked yesterday. it had been capped too, (is that the word for a fake tooth?) so the cap and roots and all had to go..

I had a molar pulled at this same oral surgeon 2 years earlier and had had a bad time driving home as the shots wore off..so this time I had the doc shoot the tooth (already senseless) up before I left..that worked extremely well, and I didn't have to drive doped up on a vicodin (as I had planned to do).
As it is there was/is no pain, hardly any bleeding..

problem with my regular dentist who had a 'fake tooth' made up to replace the pulled one temporarily till the wound healed and the implant is fitted...
I thought it would be a simple CHEAP if not FREE simple plastic cast like they make for a bridge or something that just pops into place, but nooo, after he gives it to me he says it's $650! The thing is like a denture, a thick plate sits on the roof of your mouth and the one tooth dangles from it..totally uncomfortable and makes me speak with a speech impediment.. I really squawked at him when he told me the price; them he took $200 off the price, 'if I pay now' -- which i did. But the appliance is uncomfortable and useless..

be forewarned: ALWAYS ask the COST of EVERYthing, FIRST!!