My wife schools some plumbers

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love it, what a good laugh. Seriously get professional and carry your tools.

I've done the Sleeper in a Energizer industrial plastic light but the SF X80 LA melted the plastic lens when I powered it off a 18650.

fixitman

Newly Enlightened
Doing a plumbing job without a light? WTH? Thats just unprofessional :duh2:
And the princess light, that is priceless. Now I gotta go back to target :whistle:
Great story, great replies.
lovecpf

jankj

Enlightened
Funny you should say that, i got my daughter the energizer Disney Princess torch the other day (so she wouldn't play with my MD2/M60 anymore) and thought... this thing is wimpy. I was considering starting off with putting the leftover 3 watt MagLed unit in there with 2 cr123's (would take about 15 seconds with a file to make them fit) and just seeing how that went

I've gone the more conventional and boring route of putting a more feeble terralux 2-6 cell drop-in bulb replacement in my sons "Cars" light ... Nothing outstanding by CPF standard, but will of course knock any cheapo incan out of the water and with good runtime too. Major motivation was the inconvenience of bulb replacement every time someone knocked the light over... Now, if only the switch could be made somewhat reliable...

recDNA

Flashaholic
Exactly what I was thinking...

Seriously, WTF?! A MATCH!?

Do you know how many fires plumbers start when using a blowtorch on copper pipes in confined wallspace? I match is nothing in comparison.

Heck, if you visit a Costco or LL Bean even a non-flashaholic can pick up a really good flashlight.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
A couple weeks ago the AC repair guy I called had no light with him initially. Of course I did. He did later get some plastic 2D out of his truck.

Geoff

Girryn

Newly Enlightened
Hey, that match is probably brighter than the mag solitare they left in the car.

bob4apple

Enlightened
Recently, an electrician :eek: came to work on my service panel
without a flashlight. Ummm, hello, we're in the basement, it's dark,
the power is out, he's working with enough current for Madonna's vibrator,
what's wrong with this picture?

So I asked old "Sparky" if he needed a flashlight. "Yeah, OK",
he said, "you got one handy?".

Indeed I did:

AAA
AA
C
D
CR123
hand held flashlights
penlights
headlights
lanterns
spotlights
camping lights
keychain lights
emergency lights
UV light
Warm LED
Cool LED
twisty
clicky- forward, reverse

So now we're both sure the other one is nuts, but he replaced
some corroded, arcing breakers, my house has light, and I wonder
if he is still a dimwit who might as well work with his eyes closed. :shakehead

Last edited:

Cheapskate

Enlightened
I recently had the opportunity to observe someone inspecting a house for termites. He was demonstrating the superior tech that is the old incandescent, in the form of an Eveready Dolphin lantern which was putting out a woefully weak orange glow with a beam with enough artifacts you could use it as a Rorschach test.

Frankly, I think the termites could have all been out line dancing on the black painted beams and he would have failed to see them.

I had a 14500 equiped NDI on me that on it's lowest setting puts out more useful light than that dolphin was with its depleted battery.

This may sound odd, but I did not whip it out and turn it on high and say "try this", as I thought it would be kinder not to. :cool:

I doubted very much his employer would have responded very well to the poor guy excitedly going on about the tiny single AA torch that was putting out 40 times as much useful light than the large bulky lantern he was issued with. If the guy wasn't even willing to provide his employees with fresh batteries willingly, what chance was there of him buying a decent torch?

Duglite

Newly Enlightened
Maybe they just couldn't find an LED that was a warm enough white.

I like my TK20, but it can't hold a candle to a match as far as warm color balance goes.:candle:

Latest posts