Napoleon Dynamite

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive never heard of it before. Was it a tv series or movie that missed the richmond, va market? I sure aint going to buy a movie on a commercial alone. Is this some backwards marketing, advertise the movie first to home buyers and if it gets popular enough they go to the box office and tv?

Myself, I am waiting for sponge bob square pants the movie to come out on dvd. Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? RRrrrr!!!

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a "small" independent movie by a first time director that developed lots of "buzz" due to it's popularity at the Sundance Film Festival. I would have to agree with others who call it overhyped, but I enjoyed it thoroughly nevertheless.

"IDIOTS!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Peter

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
I haven't seen it yet :gag: but everybody else has.

I guess it is pretty culturally accurate for my geographic area but I don't want to say that's true until I've seen it. Anyway I guess that makes it more enjoyable/popular around here. Well I guess it was shot here too.

Edited all on Final Cut Pro, that's my favorite part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Filmed at Preston, Idaho, according to my Morman friend who's wife was born there. He even recognised where a few scenes were shot.

JOshooter

Enlightened
It says in the credits that it was filmed in Idaho, I'm not sure if Idaho has any sand dunes, so parts of it could have been filmed in Utah.

It may not have a real involved story, but it's not a big budget film, so it's a nice change to see a movie without special effects every 5 seconds.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
JO made me watch it! I kept saying "when's it going to start"...he keeps saying "just keep watching"...

Odd to say the least, oh and we just didn't "rent" it...JO and his brother come home and say "Dad, we HAVE to OWN this movie!"...so Dad get's it as one of JO's brother's birthday gifts.

I guess if they wanted it, then it was "worthwhile" (?)...

RUN away VERY FAST if you kids say "Dad, we HAVE to OWN this movie!"...

Ok...there were some "odd laugh" moments - but I'd have to give it a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif!

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JOshooter said:
It says in the credits that it was filmed in Idaho, I'm not sure if Idaho has any sand dunes, so parts of it could have been filmed in Utah.

It may not have a real involved story, but it's not a big budget film, so it's a nice change to see a movie without special effects every 5 seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preston, Idaho is just north of the Utah border.

KingSmono

Enlightened
I loved it! The reason it was so funny is because there's a kid like that at EVERY high school.

And Kipp, the 35 year old brother... "Yeah, I guess you could say we're getting pretty serious... we talk online for like 2 hours a day." hahaha

And then Rex-Quan-Do... "You think someone wants to get a roundhouse to the face while I'm wearing these bad-boys... forget-about-it." hahahaha

Great movie.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on the reviews here, it sounds like a movie that my wife would hate and that would make me squirt Pepsi through my nose. Perfect in every way.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the thing that a lot of independent films do that most 'big pictures' don't do is just provide a not overly jugdemental slice of life aspect. It's not deciding if this millionaire woman is going to marry this doctor or that ad executive. No one is saving the world. You're just watching a quirky guy go through his day.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched it one day with my cousins when I was visiting them. Reminded me of my high school days...I give it a 1.5 thumbs up. It's one ofthe few low budget movie that I didn't ditch within 30 minutes, and believe me that says a lot...

The Mexican "protection service" was just funny but kinds sad, since where I'm from i needed protection from the gangs, but the other way around.

And on top of that, PEdro looked like a 45 year old child molestor. That kinda creeped my cousins and I out...

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
powernoodle said:
Hey - at the end of the movie, some chick rides her bike up to Uncle Rico's van. Are we supposed to know who she is?

best regards

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was wondering the exact same thing. Who was that girl?

Peter

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cratz2 said:
I think the thing that a lot of independent films do that most 'big pictures' don't do is just provide a not overly jugdemental slice of life aspect. It's not deciding if this millionaire woman is going to marry this doctor or that ad executive. No one is saving the world. You're just watching a quirky guy go through his day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that sums it up perfectly.

No body count ('cept the 1 cow ), no explosions, no cast of beautifully perfect people, etc...

Peter

JOshooter

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
[ QUOTE ]
powernoodle said:
Hey - at the end of the movie, some chick rides her bike up to Uncle Rico's van. Are we supposed to know who she is?

best regards

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was wondering the exact same thing. Who was that girl?

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

My best guess is that she is his wife (the one who thinks that he's living too much in 1982), and BTW, it's not the end of the movie, keep watching after the credits.

Leeoniya

Enlightened
it was ammusing to see the fuzzy microphones come in and out from the top of the picture /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

monty python: the holy grail was another great low budget movie.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Alright I finally watched it today. Borrowed it from my brother a week ago with intents to watch it the next day, but some friends said I really shouldn't watch it the first time alone.

Excellent movie. I certainly can understand why people don't like it, and it's not my favorite movie -- but probably in the top 10.

It probably helps I'm still in High School, a complete nerd, and from Utah, but hey you take what you can get right?

My favorite part was the elections. When Summer gives her speech the microphone is clear and the song for her skit sounds pristine like it came from a CD. Then Pedro gets up and the mic has so much reverb you can hardly understand what he says, and the music sounds like it came off a cassette which had been played 1 time too many (Which it did). Bizzare, but excellent.