Need bicycle, the CPF of bicycle world?

supes

Enlightened
Finding out I can use my lights for night time bicycling and saving gas has gotten me an itch to get a bike for my commute and exercise. Do you know what forum(s) are most informative like CPF for the bicycling world? I'm a total noob and need to learn as much as possible before making a purchase. I've searched bike forums, bicycling forums, and some others but there doesn't seem to be a universal place or one place that is exceptionally knowledgeable.

thanks everyone.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
For recumbent bicycles, consider Bent Rider Online. Lots of forums, reviews, etc.

my-stratus-le1.jpg

kananga

Newly Enlightened
I'd suggest any decent randonneurring or touring bike for a commute. They aren't as fast as other bikes, but the focus of a commute is transportation and utility, not recreation or competition. Stable, comfortable geometry is good for after a hard day at work or biking to work the morning after a late night. And it's nice to have a bike that can handle stopping by the grocery store on the way home! A lot of rando bikes can handle a rack, usually even a grocery trip or light touring load, while being perfectly capable of taking out with an average group of roadies. I put over 20,000 miles on a secondhand Novara Randonee (REI) and I'd still have one if I could have picked up a frameset when the old one died.

As far as components, go for durability over speed. Tiagra level components can take you to work for tens of thousands of miles with no trouble. Most importantly, and I can't understate this, don't skimp on tires. With significant milage, #2 would be the rear wheel; have someone who knows what they're doing (and what you're doing with that wheel) at least check it over once in a while. Those are the two things that are most likely to get you to work late!

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
forums.roadbikereview.com (and it's sister forums, forums.mtbr.com) is a great forum that I use. It's not the only one but it is laid out nicely and logically. I've tried to use www.bikeforums.net but they have too many subforums and too many active members so I can't possibly go through the forums in a way that I like in a reasonable amount of time. Both Road Bike Review and MTBR have commuting sections and die-hard bicycle commuters posting there who would gladly help you out. I should know, I'm one of them :)