Need help

Unleashed

Newly Enlightened
Please help guys. I was going to purchase one of those powerful lasers however due to money problems I'm now limited to a 5mw green pointer. I want to get one that has had the best success with being pot modded. Both ease of modding, highest mw obtained from the mod, over heating and stability are issues I'm looking at. Can anyone offer me any insight on these issues?

kennieyk

Newly Enlightened
this might help you out ,,
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/116801

i was thinking of getting one , but decided to buy a 20 mw from dealextream for 40 bucks . its cheap but i understand its not very safe to use ! :( i figure it will do till i get the money for a good one ,,hoping on a 100 mw :)

Last edited:

Unleashed

Newly Enlightened
kennieyk said:
this might help you out ,,
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/116801

i was thinking of getting one , but decided to buy a 20 mw from dealextream for 40 bucks . its cheap but i understand its not very safe to use ! :( i figure it will do till i get the money for a good one ,,hoping on a 100 mw :)

Now if you can turn a 5mw up to say 30mw. Can you turn that 20mw you have up to say a 45mw via pot mod? Why is that 20 not safe?

Ashton

Enlightened
Unleashed said:
Why is that 20 not safe?

IIRC this is a laser w/o an IR filter, that's what makes it unsafe, not the power level.

and if you want a nice pwoerful laser, go down to radioshack and but some circuitboard parts (switch, battery case, breadboard (optional lock switch and optional firebutton) and the buy a bargain-basement 16x or higher dvd-rw drive and rip out the optics. 200ma-233ma average output using 2-3 "AA" batteries.

Unleashed

Newly Enlightened
Ashton said:
IIRC this is a laser w/o an IR filter, that's what makes it unsafe, not the power level.

and if you want a nice pwoerful laser, go down to radioshack and but some circuitboard parts (switch, battery case, breadboard (optional lock switch and optional firebutton) and the buy a bargain-basement 16x or higher dvd-rw drive and rip out the optics. 200ma-233ma average output using 2-3 "AA" batteries.

Interesting. What's the mw rating on a custom job like that?

kennieyk

Newly Enlightened
i have a old dvd burner ! :) do you have any details or info how to make one ?

Unleashed

Newly Enlightened
<--- more please

I have another question.

I have a 5mw green laser I bought several years ago. I don't know the brand but cost about 80 US dollars back then. It use to be bright but had been dropped several times causing it to produce a dim dot.

When tapping it against my hand the dot would go back to normal. It was fine for awhile then whenever it would get bumped would go back dim again. Now when taping it against something while it's on the dot goes from dim to gone. Tap on the other side and it would come back but never get any brighter than dim. It is almost as if something is sliding back and forth inside.

Any idea the culprit could be and if there's a fix?

Also I tried the pot mod on it because I figured it was junked now anyway. The dot got brighter with the mod and even brighter when the screwdriver touched against the case while modding the pot.

Anyone see anyway to avoid this laser becoming a paperweight?

I'm also interested in why the dot dimmed in the first place and fluctuate when tapped on.

Last edited:

Ashton

Enlightened
I misread it the output is 200 sustained mW and 225mW peak output.

EDIT:
This is a basic start:
http://www.felesmagus.com/pages/lasers-howto.html

Personally, I'm adding a second switch with a resistor to drop the power down the 5mW or so to use as 'targeting', and a lock switch so it cant be turned on accidentally.

SenKat

Enlightened
Unleashed - it is possible when it was dropped that you knocked the MCA (master crystal assembly) out of alignment....when it is not in perfect alignment - the output will vary GREATLY ! Back to basics for a sec : The IR Diode fires a beam through the MCA - doubling, then halving the output (Two different crystals in the MCA). depending on the angle of entry to the MCA - the angle of output could very well slap most of the output to the side - thus preventing most of the output from escaping the aperature. I believe this is waht could be occuring with your laser. any way to fix it ? Not really - although continued use in this condition could very well leave you with a sweeeeet looking paperweight :drool:

Hope this helps at least to explain what is going on....

Another cause could be a busted solder joint - and it is not making enough of a connection within the driver circuit board - if that is the case, then re-soldering COULD fix the issue - assuming you could get the assembly out of the laser without damage...