New Lights from Browning

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
1,316
Browning's new Zero Gravity lights

These look like they could be decent:
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/lites/category.asp?value=015H

The headlamp is something quite different from others on the market. I've often wondered why one of the more established headlight makers won't make a 1AA headlamp. The housing is aluminum, which should be good for heat transfer and long-tern durability. Looks like a headlamp that would be great for ultralight backpacking.

Really like the design of the clips on the 1AA and 1AAA pocket lights - the top of the clip is placed near the bezel of the light so the light will ride really low in a pocket, and clip securely to a cap.

Anyone familiar with the ceramic coating they use? They claim it's much more durable than anodizing.

MSRP seem kinda high, but I expect the street prices will be somewhat lower.

"Nothing has ever hit the flashlight market like Browning's new Zero Gravity lights. These new finger-sized lights represent the future of lighting technology. They are rugged, very powerful and take up no more space than a tube of lip balm. The headlamp model is lightweight as well and has a tough, aluminum face cap to protect the LED. Powered by a single AA or AAA alkaline battery, Zero Gravity lights penetrate the deepest darkness using a one-watt LED, giving an incredible 35-40 lumens of output."

"Ceramic is one of the most durable, stable and wear-resistant compounds known to man, used in countless applications throughout the world. Practically indestructible, the new Zero Gravity flashlights have a unique ceramic coating that is more durable than any of the standard anodized coatings in common use today. Zero Gravity Flashlights include an O-ring seal for water protection and a neck lanyard. The one-watt LED is rated for 100,000 hours of use. Why even bother with flashlights of lesser quality, when a Zero Gravity light will outlast, outshine, outlive and outperform any other light in their class?"


.
 

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
2,401
Location
Lake Como, Italy
Re: Browning's new Zero Gravity lights

I've had for a number of years (10?) a Rado watch with a black ceramic case and I must say that it doesn't show any scratch or marking like the other steel watches I normally wear. My conclusion is that a properly made ceramic coating will surely resist to EDCing much better that any HA surface treatment.
 

xiaowenzu

Banned
Joined
Sep 9, 2006
Messages
637
Re: Browning's new Zero Gravity lights

ringzero said:
Practically indestructible, the new Zero Gravity flashlights have a unique ceramic coating that is more durable than any of the standard anodized coatings in common use today.
Isn't ceramic brittle? I don't doubt it's hardness & resistance against scratching, though, I believe Surefire's HA-III Milspec is MORE resistant to chipping than Ceramic.

However, this Ceramic coating is probably tougher than Fenix's anodizing, which is relatively thin.
 
Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 15, 2007
Messages
3,116
Location
NV
Re: Browning's new Zero Gravity lights

Interesting, and at least at a price point that isn't offensive for a Lux 1. Now the big question is: Can an SSC be easily put into one? :devil:
 

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Sep 19, 2002
Messages
1,381
Location
39.42N 86.42 W
Re: Browning's new Zero Gravity lights

I am guessing the ceramic coating is like their other light's coatings. It looks to me like a powdercoat type of finish. if done properly it is pretty tough stuff. I think CZ puts a similar finish on the aluminum frames of their pistols. It wears quite nicely on those.
 

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Joined
Feb 18, 2007
Messages
642
Re: Browning's new Zero Gravity lights

Kilovolt said:
I've had for a number of years (10?) a Rado watch with a black ceramic case and I must say that it doesn't show any scratch or marking like the other steel watches I normally wear. My conclusion is that a properly made ceramic coating will surely resist to EDCing much better that any HA surface treatment.

I also have this watch thats made by Movado which is made out of this material called tunsten carbide. Its highly polished and doesn't seem to pick up scratches at all no matter how hard I try to scratch it, it just doesn't scratch. The watch was very expensive but it'll probably last forever. They should coat a flashlight with this stuff as it's very durable and I doubt it has the chipping possibility of ceramic.
 

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
2,401
Location
Lake Como, Italy
Re: Browning's new Zero Gravity lights

xiaowenzu said:
Isn't ceramic brittle? I don't doubt it's hardness & resistance against scratching, though, I believe Surefire's HA-III Milspec is MORE resistant to chipping than Ceramic.

Sorry, Xiaowenzu, I forgot to say that my Rado watch seems very resistant to scratches nearly but not quite as much as my U2 is. Apologies for overlooking it.

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
 

xiaowenzu

Banned
Joined
Sep 9, 2006
Messages
637
Re: Browning's new Zero Gravity lights

chesterqw said:
well... nothing natural can match diamonds in the hardness area

WELL in 10 years we'd all be using lights constructed of Carbon Nanotubes (essentially diamonds but without the brittleness)

Carbon Nanotubes are MUCH stronger & harder than Ceramic coating, Milspec HA-III and Tungsten carbide.

Carbon Nanotubes is the strongest thing in the Universe.
 

xiaowenzu

Banned
Joined
Sep 9, 2006
Messages
637
Re: Browning's new Zero Gravity lights

Kilovolt said:
Sorry, Xiaowenzu, I forgot to say that my Rado watch seems very resistant to scratches nearly but not quite as much as my U2 is. Apologies for overlooking it.

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

hehehe tis all goood! :D :popcorn:
 

riffraff

Enlightened
Joined
Mar 3, 2007
Messages
243
Location
Londinium
Re: Browning's new Zero Gravity lights

Is it just me, or is that a butt-ugly headlamp? What with

ZERO GRAVITY

across the front, and Browning Browning Browning Browning Browning Browning Browning Browning Browning Browning Browning Browning Browning Browning Browning Browning Browning Browning Browning Browning Browning Browning Browning everywhere else... :barf:

'Course, I guess if you're wearing it, you don't hafta look at it. :laughing:
 

Illum

Flashaholic
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
13,053
Location
Central Florida, USA
Re: Browning's new Zero Gravity lights

EDITED, NOT OFFENSIVE, BUT IRRELEVANT


The headlight is a bit :sick2: too much browning advertisement previously pointed out by riffraff....not to mention a hole in the center typical of colliminator optics:awman::ohgeez:
 
Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 31, 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Sweden
Re: Browning's new Zero Gravity lights

I like the look of that 1AA light a lot. The clip is very nice. Wonder if it's a twistie or a clickie? They should have put in a cree for longer or brighter light, and it would have been even nicer. Somebody should buy an review it! :grin2:
 

roverjohn

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
151
Location
midwest
Re: Browning's new Zero Gravity lights

johnny13oi said:
I also have this watch thats made by Movado which is made out of this material called tunsten carbide. Its highly polished and doesn't seem to pick up scratches at all no matter how hard I try to scratch it, it just doesn't scratch. The watch was very expensive but it'll probably last forever. They should coat a flashlight with this stuff as it's very durable and I doubt it has the chipping possibility of ceramic.

Tungsten carbide is not a coating it's a material. So your whole watch is made of it. They also make machine tool bits out of it for milling machines and lathes and such. It would make for a very heavy and expensive flashlight because it's very hard so it's tough to work on. I've always womdered why they don't Parkerise flashlights or make them from ceramics like someone else said.
John..........
 

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 31, 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Sweden
Re: Browning's new Zero Gravity lights

I'm more puzzled why so many people want's a scratchfree flashlight THAT much. I regard mine as tools, and I have never heard about anyone wanting a scratchfree hammer or screwdriver. :)
 

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 24, 2006
Messages
2,204
Location
Michigan
Re: Browning's new Zero Gravity lights

PhantomPhoton said:
Interesting, and at least at a price point that isn't offensive for a Lux 1. Now the big question is: Can an SSC be easily put into one? :devil:
I was wondering how long it would take someone to ask that. :laughing:

Nice looking line overall..
That 1AA headlight looks very interesting since I have asked "where and why not" about 1AA headlamps before.

The Tactical Hunter looks interesting too. Momentary, SF-like ergonomics, small, same bezel deep pocket clip as the ZG series. Seems like some Streamlight competition.
 

Tesla

Enlightened
Joined
Nov 24, 2001
Messages
303
Location
Garland, Tx.
Re: Browning's new Zero Gravity lights

Lobo said:
I'm more puzzled why so many people want's a scratchfree flashlight THAT much. I regard mine as tools, and I have never heard about anyone wanting a scratchfree hammer or screwdriver. :)


Gotta second that. I don't go out of my way to damage them, but I don't cry about normal wear and tear....same for my guitars, guns, and bicycles...I'm a user, not a collector.
 

Illum

Flashaholic
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
13,053
Location
Central Florida, USA
Re: Browning's new Zero Gravity lights

Lobo said:
I'm more puzzled why so many people want's a scratchfree flashlight THAT much. I regard mine as tools, and I have never heard about anyone wanting a scratchfree hammer or screwdriver. :)

same here...but, theres just some lights are too much of a bear to look at the scraches:ohgeez:

especially like the A2 or the mclux:awman:
 

riffraff

Enlightened
Joined
Mar 3, 2007
Messages
243
Location
Londinium
Re: Browning's new Zero Gravity lights

Sometime, scratches add character...sometimes, they're just nasty...

sol.jpg


Actually, that photo makes that Solitaire look good. It's really much worse than that in existing light (i.e., without the flash).
 

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
1,211
Re: Browning's new Zero Gravity lights

ringzero said:
"Ceramic is one of the most durable, stable and wear-resistant compounds known to man, used in countless applications throughout the world. Practically indestructible, the new Zero Gravity flashlights have a unique ceramic coating that is more durable than any of the standard anodized coatings in common use today. Zero Gravity Flashlights include an O-ring seal for water protection and a neck lanyard. The one-watt LED is rated for 100,000 hours of use. Why even bother with flashlights of lesser quality, when a Zero Gravity light will outlast, outshine, outlive and outperform any other light in their class?"


.
The products of the fertile minds of marketeers are always fun to watch.

As soon as you expose aluminum to air, it immediately forms a coating of aluminum oxide. Otherwise known as alumina, this is a ceramic. Sandpaper grit is one of its many uses. But the coating is normally only a few molecules thick. Anodizing produces a thicker layer of this ceramic. Maybe the alumina coating on the Brownings is a little thicker than normal, but I'll bet that their super-wonderful ceramic is just the same plain ol' alumina you'll find on the outside of any aluminum flashlight.

c_c

(Edited: I originally mistakenly wrote "Surefires" instead of "Brownings".)
 
Last edited:
Top