New Mag 2D....

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
...WOW!

My older green 2D that had a stuck battery a couple weeks ago stopped working. So tonight while out and about I got a new black 2D at Wally World.

NO tweaking whatsoever and it makes a beautiful spot on the wall. Maybe CNC machining, maybe something else, but this beats any Mag I've ever bought new.

Side note: Bass Pro Shops has some Princeton Tec stuff. I got a Tec 40 there for a whopping 1 cent less than REI. With the supplied bulb and batteries it has a nice smooth throw, and is brighter than all but the little spot of the Mag. It is also AMAZINGLY compact!

It was a GOOD night out and about!

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the reflector still a plain non-textured type ?
What about the rings and flaws in the beam - are they any better ?
Edit: or are Mag now using a different lamp ?
Sorry for all the questions ...

Jahn

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It is still a plain reflector. It has a Whitestar bulb (Krypton 2.8v I think...) and still the cam system for focus. On my old green one and both my 3D and 4D ones needed some shimming and playing with the bulbs to get a beam not as well rounded and focused as this right out of the package. There are still rings and artifacts, but in an almost perfect pattern so not as bothersome as other Mags.

Side note again: I put the first 3.6 KPR103 that I could dig out of my dozen or so 'spares' into the TEC 40... Yehaaa!!! Bright and smooth! Some form of clicker switch either tail or barrel would make this light perfect! But it ain't at all bad as is!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a black 2D Mag also. Bought it in Hollywood, CA (Hollyweird to Angelians), when I last lived there.

I forget how I ran across ledmuseum.org, but I found the review for LEDCorp's Pro Series bulbs for the Mag-Lites. I really like what I saw in the review, went to the Company's website. I found that the 2 cell Pro Series is only listed in Red, waited till Sep 16 and called them in the morning. I wanted to see if there was any possibility of them having the 2 cell in White. I was told that they just got done sorting a new batch of Luxeon Stars and found some for 2 cell in White. The bulbs themselves haven't been made, yet. I was told how to order one of those, and I did. It takes about 10 days to make the Pro Series bulbs. Two cell White LS are rare (at least to their standards), so they don't list them in that color. You have to call and inquire about it, and there is a special thing you have to do, because of the online order system, which is the only way they take orders.

The Pro Series is $39.95 each. once the LS manufacturer fixes the phosphor problem, it is likely that 2 cell Whites will be more readily available (I hope).
grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please forgive me for saying this, know that I mean absolutely no offence, but:

You`ve said this in just about every post of yours I`ve read recently. I`m sure they`re great (let us know what you think when you get it) but I think we get the picture....?

As I said, I mean no offence.

It`s been a looooong day......

rolleyes.gif
smile.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris, I only bring up LEDCorp where appropriate. Unfortunately, lots of folks gripe about the Mags black hole and artifacts. There are only 2 ways to deal with this: dimpled reflector, and/or the Pro bulb from LEDCorp. I suspect that a combination of both would be perfect. Unfortunately, I have never heard of a dimpled/faceted reflector for a Mag-Lite. Mag Instruments doesn't have them as far as I know.

No offense taken.
wink.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
The black hole is partly filled with Carley lensed lamps. These lamps leave the same sausage shaped pattern across both the the hotspot or the hole. (Teeth aren't usually prominent across hot spot.) The sausage has grinning diagonal teeth that match the number of filament curls

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
posted 09-23-2002 06:43 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris, I only bring up LEDCorp where appropriate. Unfortunately, lots of folks gripe about the Mags black hole and artifacts. There are only 2 ways to deal with this: dimpled reflector, and/or the Pro bulb from LEDCorp. I suspect that a combination of both would be perfect. Unfortunately, I have never heard of a dimpled/faceted reflector for a Mag-Lite. Mag Instruments doesn't have them as far as I know.

No offense taken.

--------------------
CMG Infinity, 2 x Brinkman Rebel, Petzl Zoom, Lightwave Illuminator, Lightwave 4000, Princeton Tec Solo w/3 LED module, 2D Mag-Lite, CC Trek.

Proud Owner of Arc LS second (might as well be FIRST Quality) First Run #1148 NX05!

Ordered Pro Series LS bulb for my Mag-Lite from LEDCorp.

Next acquisition: CMG Infinity Ultra (Maybe)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 95 | From: Mansfield, OH | Registered: Sep 2002 | IP: Logged

Quickbeam
Flashaholic
Member # 482

posted 09-23-2002 08:58 AM
Actually, there is a third way to deal with those artifacts. Try WriteRight on the lens.

Damn! Now I have to get some of that stuff! Will it ever end?

Latest posts