New Pal website

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pal lights have a new and updated website www.palights.com . They sell the "workman", formally the surelight for $13.95 with free USA shipping which I don't think is too bad of a price. Although there are many brighter lights out there now, the pal lights do have their uses, particularly the always on feature and a decent pushbuttom switch.

Al

Enlightened
Just rec'd "Workman" and "Survivor" ... Already had "Selector" (Onestar). Prices very good plus free shipping UPS ground which knocks $5 off compared with most other sites.

Workman & Survivor each have a small (3mm?) SMD type led and use the same lens although the lens on the Survivor seems to be held at a slightly greater distance from the light source by means of a design variation of the top rubber cap.

My Onestar (Selector) has a 5mm Nichia and uses a slightly longer lens to accomodate the Nichia along with the same rubber cap provided with the Survivor.

All have the "always on" feature.

By eye, I didn't see any difference in brightness between the SMD's and the 5mm although they all have different beam patterns.

Removing the top rubber cap & exposing the CB voids the warranty, but that's what ya gotta do if ya wanna play with these things ....

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget to try the reverse the lens trick. Pop the lens out by prying at the edge with a small screwdriver and push it back in reversed. Makes the beam wider and more even.

RonM - Let your light shine.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Al,

What is the quality of the beam? For an instance, I own a PAL regular and a PAL Gold both two years old now. The regular has somewhat of a hotspot although somewhat irregular in shape and the Gold has a terrible beam, no resemblance of a hotspot at all really. I am considering getting a couple Workman lights but would like some input. Hopefully it has some semblance of a hotspot.

Al

Enlightened
Survivor: 4" circular at 2ft.
Workman: 5" circular at 2ft.
Onestar (Selector?): 8" circular at 2ft.

Beam "quality" and definitions i.e. "terrible" are subjective ... I find all three to be interesting and useful lights because of their unique design and the obvious engineering expertise that went into their contruction (circuit board regulation, lenses, reflectors, isolating of electronics, "always on", etc.)

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Gold and it has a square beam. As this was one of my first LED lights, I thought it strange. I now realize that it IS unique and I rather like the square beam.
Does anyone else have this beam pattern?