[New][Review] Nitecore P18 - 1x18650, tail e-switch, XHP35 HD, red mode

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
P4040481.JPG
Nitecore sent over a pre-release sample of this light and I've been testing it out for weeks now. It really checks a lot of boxes. As an EDC light,

• It's compact - I'm pretty sure it's the shortest 18650 light with a tail switch and a reflector.
  • Shortcut to a low 1 lumen mode
  • Intuitive UI
  • Great pocket clip (if not a very deep one)
  • Voltage-based battery check
For the "tactical" user, the light also has:

• A tail switch
  • One touch turbo
  • Two touch strobe
  • Red mode
Overall it's one of the most innovative and exciting lights I've used recently. The three main cons quoted in my review are the lack of a lockout mode, aggressive step down from turbo, and lower than average water resistance claims - but I will definitely be recommending this light. If you want both a tail switch and a compact body, I think this will be the best option until the FW3A comes out, and even then the two aren't directly comparable.

Click through to my site to read my full review

P4040493.JPG

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks like a pretty cool light!

Nice to see some out-of-the-box thinking going on here. It's not just another cylindrical light made on a lathe.

celler

Newly Enlightened
Incredibly well-done and thoughtful review. Thank you looking into the lockout which no other reviewer seems to have mentioned. The lack of a physical or software lockout is a deal breaker for me in a flashlight that gets this hot. Nightcore, don't forget this important feature.

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
A lockout would be nice, but I personally don't usually have to much trouble with tail switch lights. The switch used here specifically would be pretty hard to accidentally activate. I haven't had a single turn on in my pocket, and it's seen a lot of pocket time since I swapped the emitter. YMMV of course.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk