newbee question about LD01

strelcevina

Newly Enlightened
I can see that LD01 will be capable to support 10440 cell.

i read here that a difference in a volume of light is noticeable.

my question is.

if LD01 is rated to be 80 lumen on aaa battery

how many lumen LD01 have, running on 10440 cell

thanks

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Fenix claims the LD01 is now (officially) supporting 10440's with the new driver, I suspect there's a good chance it will no longer be direct driven at higher voltages and the output will be considerably less.

Just my unsupported suspicion.

gunga

Flashaholic
Look at the first post on the dealer's sales thread.

3. Can the LD01 use 3.7V lithium-ion rechargeable batteries?

No. Using 3.7V lithium-ion rechargeable batteries will lower the life of the LED and will also remove the lower output modes entirely.

So it likely goes into direct drive, only giving 1 mode...

jake25

Enlightened
How come we are seeing, in the promotional banner ads, that the accepted batteries are alkaline, nimh and lithium?

also i agree w/ gswitter on it being regular now if that is true, i had the same question

i too have been waiting to get a L0D, i just read that Q&A in the dealers section, it looks like i'll be going after the L0D Q4

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hadn't read the specs before, so after a little digging...

The thread on shoudan.com that Marduke referenced a week ago indicates 10440 support but cautions against high output mode with that cell. I assume that's a reseller claim (a la the info at Lighthound) and not officially from Fenix. The Fenix store listing (and the included marketing image) do not list 10440 support. It's probably the same as before: the converter is boost only, and may or may not fry at 4.2V. Even if the converter can handle an Li-ion, the heat sinking isn't adequate for extended use on Hi.

That's fine with me.

Marduke

Flashaholic
How come we are seeing, in the promotional banner ads, that the accepted batteries are alkaline, nimh and lithium?

Lithium primary AAA's is different than Li-Ion (1.7v vs 4.2v). The LOD also doesn't officially support 10440's, but it works just fine on them if you use a little common sense for safety. I HIGHLY suspect the LD01 will work the same way.

It's PWM controlled, so it should not loose the low modes like the other current controlled Fenix lights can on Li-Ion.

kanarie

Enlightened
I believe the Chinese flyer said it could (for a short period)

Last edited:

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Even if it can work on a Li-ion you would have to be careful and only use it for short bursts because there is not a lot of metal for heatsinking so you risk frying the emitter.

strelcevina

Newly Enlightened

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
If one takes their time to read and understand the pages that list *each* light, the LOD and LD01 state 1.5 AAA cell. Nowhere on the page is Li-ion even mentioned. These lights were not designed for them.

My biggest issue is that threads are started where some members *experiment* with the LOD and LD01 and report back that Li-ions can be used WITH CAUTION, and as the thread progresses 10 other members report, "Yeah I use mine with NO PROBLEMS." Soon it is believed that "Hey you can use the LOD/LD01 with Li-ions, NO PROBLEMS." because everyone else is saying that they can and are using them.

Its all fun and games till someone loses an eye.

A new member comes along, and accepts the thread at face value, without taking the time, to research and understand the benefits, or the potential dangers of Li-ion chemistry batteries and treats them like a standard, store brand, off the shelf battery.

I personally have many lights that run on Li-ion batteries, I love them, but, I treat them with respect and will not use a light that is not designed for Li-ion batteries with Li-ions.

Bill

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't disagree with any of your points, nor any of the points that 4sevens made in the other thread.

My problem is that David's response to the L0D/LD01 10440 issue became a general rant against Li-ions. It's obviously something he feels strongly about, and, again, I don't really disagree with any of the points he made. I just find it a bit disingenuous that he would offer such strong cautions here in a public forum, while offering for sale some of the very products he's ranting against, and not including a similar warning in the sales/info pages for those products.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
gswitter said:
My problem is that David's response to the L0D/LD01 10440 issue became a general rant against Li-ions.

I can't speak for David, nor do I wish to, my take is that he is just talking about the LOD/LD01 in this instance. I could be wrong, and have been many a times.

gswitter said:
I just find it a bit disingenuous that he would offer such strong cautions here in a public forum, while offering for sale some of the very products he's ranting against, and not including a similar warning in the sales/info pages for those products.

The TK11 and M20 you mentioned previously are designed to support Li-ions, as stated on each of the pages that display them.

All *I* am saying is that if you use Li-ions with care and common sense in the lights designed for them then :twothumbs

If members want to run "Can This Be Used" or "What If" threads they should make it clear that it is not the norm, is experimental, and may have undesirable and potentiality dangerous results.

Bill

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you carefully read 4SEVENS remarks about rechargable lithium ions, his problem is not with all rechargable lithium ions, just unprotected lithium ions. Since there are no protected versions of AAA version of a lithium ion available, he cautions against using them in ANY AAA flashlight. He further stated that we shouldn't be looking for protected versions of a AAA rechargable lithium ion soon, because there is no space within that size to include the needed protection circuitry. I guess, beyond the circuitry in these batteries needed to protect the cell from over charging and over discharging, there are features in the cell that allow venting of gases before explosions might occur.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Didn't he say something about lithium explosions killing your family and we were all stupid for buying his dangerous lights? Oh no wait, that was just a dream I had! :ohgeez:
JOKE JOKE IT"S A JOKE! I have one on order myself as a Christmas gift. Fenix lights are good all around lights. Just kidding around about his big warning post.

Just don't use unprotected li-ion cells in anything unless you are able to handle them. I'm not able to use them, I just know at some point I'd forget something important and blow my nuts off.
Not that that would be a bad thing if you asked what others thought about it. :sick2: Like 7777's after this post................

Last edited: