• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Nichia SW45B10L 219 Triple P60 Drop-in ALL GONE (For Now)

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lack of? You mean willingness to throw down the money to obtain. :broke: I sure couldnt afford such a scientific discovery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just load some trans aluminum into the 3d printer already .. Or better yet just fire up the replicator.

Seriously tho- I hope the sinkpads work out.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking into offering the 2 versions.

I know when I first stated my current 'dilemma' I said it wasn't possible, however I have since discovered I still have 50+ aluminum MCPCBs left over from various minor projects. This removes the need for tooling costs and effectively (on my end at least) makes costs associated with their production negligible.

If the costs are manageable one will use an aluminum MCPCB and slug and will be available at the original price of $120 (still TBC). The higher end offering will be sinkpads/noctigons and a copper core and of course will be at the higher price.

This week coming is shaping up to be a big one. Hopefully I can nail down some pricing, while the final PCB revision for the driver should arrive so I can assemble my prototype and get some demo videos going!

- Matt

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet! Hoping to get the higher end one, whenever you get there. No hurry, plenty of time. About 600 miles from home with another 500 to go tomorrow! Gotta love cross country travel!

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a major win today in regards to some of the costs associated with the drop-in. I won't say more until I can confirm it's not a typo lol.

Happy days.

- Matt

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha I wish. Free Hyperions for everyone!*

- Matt

* note free offer is purely hypothetical and based entirely on me being mistakenly credited with a few trillion dollars.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received the final revision driver PCBs yesterday. They work really well :)\

3 Issues to resolve now:

1) The prototype shell was machined for the original revision driver. The overall dimensions of the driver have not changed but a handful of components are closer to the edge of the board than they were previously This means nothing for the final product (already taken into account on the engineering drawings) but it means I need to dremmel out the PCB mount on my prototype. I can't do this until tomorrow. Despite this I did put the drop-in together (the optics were not flush with the lip) and it works well :)

2) The battery contact needs to grow another 2mm or so in length. In my Solarforce L2m, the battery is JUST making contact with the drop-in. This is using the stock solarforce switch. With my McClicky it's even worse as the McClicky spring seems to be shorter. I had to use a spacer to get good contact. I'll do some research on the best length for the battery contact on the drop-in. I thought I had it nailed down but apparently not! Easy to fix and not a problem at all. Won't delay anything that's for sure.

3) The UI is usable with the Solarforce switch, but the McClicky makes it much easier to use due to the better action. I obviously have not tested it thoroughly yet.

So provided I assemble the drop-in properly this weekend I hope to have the demo video up sometime next week :)

If anyone has a few different P60 hosts on them, could they possibly do me a favor? Take the head off, put a single battery inside and screw on the tail cap. Then measure the distance from the lip of the open end of the host, to the top of the battery +ve terminal. I have a C2, C3, and L2m (18650 and 18350) I can measure. This way I can figure out a good contact length. I don't want it to be too long but it clearly needs to be long enough to provide good firm pressure on the cell.

- Matt

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
On an L2P I get 28mm with a Panasonic NCR18650PD, 26mm with an AW 2600mA Protected. Believe it or not, the same measurements with the McClicky switch replacing stock.

That's not compressing the tail spring at all, other than the weight of the cell.

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha I wish. Free Hyperions for everyone!*

- Matt

* note free offer is purely hypothetical and based entirely on me being mistakenly credited with a few trillion dollars.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

haha more than a trillion. That guy was credited with a quadrillion ;)

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
The devil is in the details. It's always so frustrating so close to completion of a project to get held back by such things. Thanks for the update, I woke up wondering if there was any news on progress for the Hyperion. Fingers crossed.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no easy way to put this so I'll try to ramble as little as possible…

The Hyperion project is on indefinite hold.

There are two mains reasons, the first of which I won't elaborate on more than to say it's affecting my personal life.

The second reason is more straightforward. My original vision for the Hyperion was technically possible - just not for one guy working part time. As issues and their fixes have come and gone, the project has moved away from the design that got all of us excited in the first place, to something not much better than what is already available. That right there is the reason I started the project – to make something better. As much as it frustrates me to admit it, I just can't seem to do that right now. I hate losing but for the time being I am admitting defeat.

I'm happy to discuss this with anyone via PM or email. I am an open person and I like to talk. I don't want anyone to feel cheated or think that they have been lied too or mislead. I hope everyone understands that it is very difficult for me to come out and say this and not a decision I have made lightly. Some things in life are just more important than flashlights!

There are a few people who are waiting on trades for V1 drop-ins that had issues. I will be contacting these people over the coming days with my proposed solution. If you do not hear from me by Friday, August 30, please get in touch with me as soon as reasonably possible either through PM or directly via my email address at modern69messiah{at}gmail{dot}com. If you can't wait for me to get in touch please do not hesitate to come to me first.

I just need to restock, work on a few small personal projects I want to do and take it slowly from there. Really get back into what attracted me to this hobby in the first place – collecting, modifying and building personal lighting instruments.

I sincerely apologize to anyone who has been waiting so patiently for the past 12 months for the Hyperion. Unfortunately a few recent issues have just resulted in the proverbial straw that broke the Camel's back.

That was harder to write than I thought :(

- Matt

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
Take care of yourself first. Whatever happens it has been a worthwhile struggle to watch. It has been an uphill battle for most of the way. Things happen for a reason - even when the things happening are unpleasant.