Nightcrawler hunting lights?

earthsaver77

Newly Enlightened
This is totally out of the normal for this forum, but I can't be the only one that collects nightcrawler for fishing.

I've noticed that just about any standard white, red, or UV LED will scare them back into the ground from a distance. I have an old Fulton right angle light from the 1980s that nightcrawler barely react to at all.

Does anyone know why nightcrawler shy away from LED bulb light but not the old wire filament bulb from the 80s?
I would like to upgrade to a new light. Are there any modern lights that don't scare away nocturnal critters that make good fishing bait?

Thanks

hsa

Enlightened
I don't know anything about nightcrawlers. Mag LIte still sells these.

fulee9999

Enlightened
This is totally out of the normal for this forum, but I can't be the only one that collects nightcrawler for fishing.

I've noticed that just about any standard white, red, or UV LED will scare them back into the ground from a distance. I have an old Fulton right angle light from the 1980s that nightcrawler barely react to at all.

Does anyone know why nightcrawler shy away from LED bulb light but not the old wire filament bulb from the 80s?
I would like to upgrade to a new light. Are there any modern lights that don't scare away nocturnal critters that make good fishing bait?

Thanks

from the few scientific data I quickly found, it seems like that worms tend to move away from light, especially in the UV range, so most probably a photo red LED lightsource is your best bet, as it is the furtherst away from the UV range that you can still see with your eyes.
what type of red light did you use? a white light with a filter? red bulb? or red LED?

some people had luck using a headlamp with a red option:

also here is a paper discovering light sources most suitable for earthworms:
( red wins here as well )

ironhorse

Enlightened
It has been probably 25 years since I went out at night for night crawlers. All we had to use was the Eveready incans. I might have to experiment with using a led, however it is getting a little late in the season now.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I’ll actually chime in on this. I don’t post much anymore but I’ve never found an LED of any kind at all that didn’t scare them to death. I don’t understand it, can’t explain it but I too just use an old incan when I hunt my own worms. I’m glad you posted this. Good luck!

turbodog

Flashaholic
Just gotta be fast when you flip over the dried cow poop and grab them before they escape. We always went 'foraging' in the cow pasture.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe the reason they barely react to Fulton is that it barely shines. Maybe there is more to leds than just visible light, maybe they feel driver circuit emf.

Last edited: