Nightstar Knock offs

mekki

Newly Enlightened
Just got back from a trade show in Vegas and saw these new lights there made by Upper Limits. They have 2 sizes, industrial and pocket. Both use a single LED driven by a capacitor charged by back and forth shaking (30 secs of shaking yields 5 mins of light).

There's no US distributor yet, but they guesstimated the retail price for the larger Industrial model to be about $50 and $20 for the pocket size.

I always wanted a NightStar, but really couldn't justify the price. At $20, I'd definitely buy one!

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mekki:
Just got back from a trade show in Vegas and saw these new lights there made by Upper Limits. They have 2 sizes, industrial and pocket. Both use a single LED driven by a capacitor charged by back and forth shaking (30 secs of shaking yields 5 mins of light).
-$20 for the pocket size.
I always wanted a NightStar, but really couldn't justify the price. At $20, I'd definitely buy one!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for that info.
I would too @ $20.-for the wow factor
shocked.gif
Did they say anything about when?
-Yes, I definitely need another flashlight
blush.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
I have difficulty understanding the acceptance of the original product. But, knockoffs?????
confused.gif
confused.gif

A small generator like you see on some of the wind-up radios could charge a tank circuit or battery enough to drive an LED for an hour.
rolleyes.gif

mekki

Newly Enlightened
I found this web page It's in the "Lifestyle" section, item LG02. They also have a neat carabiner LED light that has 4 LEDs with multiple modes. Item CS06 in the "Gift and Premium" category.

As for the comparison between this and a wind up: This is a fair bit more compact, is totally gee whiz, and springs can break and wear out. I see the LED being the weakest link in the longevity of this product (expect smashing the whole thing into little pieces).