Nite Ize LED Upgrade for "D" Mags

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Real World Review - Nite Ize LED Upgrade for "D" Mags

Was in Target this afternoon and what should I find but this...

2006_SD400_0246.jpg

2006_SD400_0247.jpg

$9.00, how could I pass it up???

I don't think I've ever seen a module quite like this one. It has a very tall, rounded acrylic dome with the emitter sitting at the end of the prongs well out into the dome, somewhat simulating the location of where an incandescent wire would be. In a stock 3xD Maglight the beam is focusable and behaves pretty much the same as the incan bulb would but without the shadows the incan wire creates.

I've only tried this out in daylight so far. I will pop back in with more of a beam and performance report later this evening once I have used it in the dark.

After Dark Follow up

Okay, I put this drop-in into the following lights.

-GI Fulton "Angle head" light
-Garrity 6v "G-Tech" (I only keep it 'cause it floats)
-Maglight 3xD

The Fulton light was a real letdown as this is the light I wanted the drop in for. The emitter does not play well with reflector and all you get is a broad, diffuse, and very weak beam which is not even suitable for indoor use (unless you are already dark adapted).

The Garrity's enormous 4.5" reflector produced a somewhat indoor-usable hotspot and a HUGE sidespill. It was actually okay for indoor use although a little on the dim side although with that big square 6v battery I suspect it would run for just about eternity so would probably make a really excellent area light for blackout situations especially given the built in stand.

The Maglight was the only one that could focus the output into something even remotely useful. Nowhere as much punch or power as the stock incandescent though.

I'm not even going to bother with the "real world" review I was planning. There is no way I consider this drop in a useful outdoor light except maybe in the maglight. It's going to live out it's days in the big Garrity light to use as an emergency "night light" in the event of an extended power outage.

Rated: :thumbsdow

Last edited:

C4LED

Enlightened
Interesting.

It seems like the Nite Ize drop-ins for the mini-mags are the best deal.

I just got a reply email from John C. at lighthound.com that they'll have the new red version for the min-mag in stock in about 10 days.

BrightIdeaOSU

Newly Enlightened
The only good part of this unit is the color; it is pretty white. It is also pretty dim; my Peak Pacific (1X AAA) completely outclasses it in the woods, in a 3D Mag host. Even when focussed to a pinpoint beam (useless for navigation) the throw was only a little better, and it's far more important to me to have an awareness of my immediate surroundings. Splurge on a Diamond or an EverLED.

The mini mag mod, however, is nearly as bright as the D size, and it is in the form of a very useful flood. I have no problem with that purchase, it has let me resuscitate an old gift minimag I had laying around, gathering dust.

Last edited:

Stormdrane

Enlightened
I just bought one of the Nite Ize upgrades for my old 3D Maglite and it is a bit on the dim side(my Arc-P is brighter), but for indoor use it's ok, especially if it can get the claimed 100 hour runtime. I bought it for a replacement of the krypton bulb in my 18 year old Maglite kept in the kitchen for power outages. I prefer my Diamond 3W(wouldn't fit in the old Maglite) in my other newer Maglite for more flood/throw, but it cost 4x as much.

wwglen

Enlightened
If you want something for the angle head fulton get the PR based SMJLED sold here on CPF.

Works GREAT in the light.

About as bright as the stock bulb but 200+ hours run time.

wwglen

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
wwglen said:
If you want something for the angle head fulton get the PR based SMJLED sold here on CPF.

Works GREAT in the light.

About as bright as the stock bulb but 200+ hours run time.

wwglen

Thanks, someone else suggested that a while back and I completely forgot about it!