Nitecore EA8 (XM-L U2, 8xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks nice. I want to know how you threaded that laynard on there. :duh2:

Loop it onto the tailcap first, then pass the diffuser through the big end of the lanyard before putting the diffuser on the bezel. It took me a minute to think about it too. :)

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ Piece of cake, but I'll let Paul tell ya. :)

Edit to add: Well, there he is. Just missed it.

weegidy

Newly Enlightened
This looks like an amazing light. I was considering a TK41... but now that I've seen this I'm pretty torn.

Also, what's the point of the NFD60? Is it just to diffuse the beam?... Maybe be good for lighting up tents and such?

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Also, what's the point of the NFD60? Is it just to diffuse the beam?... Maybe be good for lighting up tents and such?
Yes, it completely changes the beam profile. There will no longer be a hotspot, just a wide, generally diffuse beam. It's used for any time when you don't want a defined beam.

evxenion

Newly Enlightened
Hello selfbuilt,
I'd ordered the EA8 based on your wonderful review here a few months back and I've never been as pleased with a flashlight as the EA8. However, just a couple days back I accidentally dropped the EA8 from a height of about 3 feet and it's developed a weird problem ever since. The light still functions as it should most of the time. However, occasionally it stops working in the mid of the road or when I'm walking the dog or even in the house in any of the modes (Lo, Med, Hi, Turbo ; I rarely use the Strobe, so haven't checked on that). This is accompanied by a wild flashing of the blue LED on the switch and sometimes the light doesn't come back on even though I try to go into lockout and back (to Med by default). It's been keepin me real depressed the last few days cos this light's my favorite and I'm lost without it. I figure that cos of the knock due to the inadvertent drop, some of the wiring might have come about loose. I'd opened the battery compartment and everything seemed in order. The light functions normally most of the time,but, it's the occasional unreliability that's leaving me edgy. This light's rated at IPX8 and I believe it should be able to withstand a drop of about 1m. Hope you guys can help me sort this out. Oh and did I mention - Season's Greetings to all you folks!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
However, just a couple days back I accidentally dropped the EA8 from a height of about 3 feet and it's developed a weird problem ever since.
It does sound like it's developed a fault from the fall. There is not much you can do, except contact your dealer about a repair/replacement. It is in all likelihood an internal circuit/connection issue (especially given the switch LED response), which is not typically user-serviceable.

donmichaelo

Newly Enlightened
Totally disappointed with EA8, I knew about the almost identical lumen, but I thought I would find some more flooding differences.
Yes, more flood but not enough to justify having it, if you already have the EA4.

Donmich

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
so does anyone know if the EA8 will get updated to an XM-L2?

I think that might give it a nice beam intensity boost, no? Nitecore's 2015 catalog PDF still has it showing as XM-L U2, so maybe they don't plan on updating it...