Nitecore

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
What do you all think of Nitecore branded products? How do they hold up over time?

hsa

Enlightened
I have owned one for a little over two years. I am out for a walk every night and the Nitecore P 30 has been with me most of the time. It has been perfect in every way but that is my only Nitecore light. Don't know if that helps much.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, they hold up well over time. They have had some issues with parasitic circuits in first generation Nitecore TIPs having to do with the lockout feature. Get one of their lights that has been improved over time and you'll have fewer problems. Best to get a light with removable batteries if you want them to hold up over time. Don't be limited by when the built in batteries finally die. Some of the user interfaces may take some getting used to but they make good lights.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I decided to try one that takes AA batteries, which yes I know Alkaline batteries are garbage but I have rechargeable cells that I can use.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore has come a long way vs. 10 years ago. NOW Nitecore lights are very good. Cannot really go wrong with anything they currently offer.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old P20UV and an i2 charger that still work without any problems. I've had them for several years. The i2 is what I charge all of my LG and Keeppower cells on.

fuyume

Enlightened
I think Nitecore has some very compelling products. I'm sad they discontinued the EC & EA lights, but I can't speak to longevity, as my EC11 is only a few months old. It certainly works excellently, so far, and I have my eye on several others of their products.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having purchased more Nitecore flashlights than any other brand, the fact needs to be mentioned that NItecore for me, has had the most malfunctions. Illumn was great about sending me replacements for a lightweight headlamp that is so handy yet even now, must be clicked several times to get to the desired light level. Nitecore Store also honored their warranty. I was a purchaser that received the early Nitecore TIP that was faulty right out of the gate but was replaced and several Hi CRI Tips have passed through my hands. A handyman friend keeps two on his belt all the time. The caution by an earlier member regarding non-replaceable batteries I think is not warranted. With the TIPs, the switch cover is what fails over time. I still carry a TIP on me whenever out and about, work or play.

I have a little used TM-36 whose battery bank is doing fine; a TM-26 that a modder tried to change the emitters (not successfully) that I can use 4 18650 batteries and the TM-26 body to run the TM-36 if desired. Tubes still function, including Ultra Violet. An old Nitecore 4 bay charger presumably still works as do one of their single bay portable units.

Was it a P-30 that had the vulnerable solder by the switch that broke with some members? I sold it to my son who lost it before the switch failed. Personally, I would purchase more NItecore products if they offered Hi CRI emitters like the Luminous SST-20 4000K from a nice bin.

Nitecore continues to innovate. Love them or not, they help keep things interesting in the flashlight world.

1936jdb

Newly Enlightened
I've had/have probably near 20 nitecore lights. I still have a half dozen D10/D11/D11.2/Ex11.2 piston drives. They are my favorite light ever, but definitely quirky. I had a cobra that I miss alot. A few I can't remember the models that were ho hum, boringly reliable. One tini that had a funky button from New that wasn't worth returning. 2 tini2s that are fantastic. A few tips/tip2. An R40 that I didn't realize was huge when I ordered, but like nonetheless. An E4k that I despise, due to the moronic user interface. Several headlights, many of which I'd have bought agian but can't because they keep changing the lineup. And etc.
But more to the point, as an electrician I I use lights ALOT. I've been edc'ing an MH20 for the last several years. It's been through hell, and back, more than once. It never fails to do what's needed day in, day out.
All in all, I'd have to say reliability wise, I'm perfectly satisfied. But I went from a full on "fanboy" drooling over each new release, to very leary about new models. The one button ui that had been in use since they made the cobra was simple and intuitive. And its still in use on lights like the MH20. But the new E4K one button interface is ridiculous. And to make such a change without fanfare, even More so.
To sum it up I guess, I think that they're reliable and well built. If you get one that isn't, I have little doubt that they'll help you out. But be sure to read the specs/manual before you buy because they aren't afraid to change things around now and then..

Dave_5280

Newly Enlightened
What do you all think of Nitecore branded products? How do they hold up over time?
I bought my first light from them, a Tini2, and love the power and being able to get the reading on battery charge status and brightness. I'm going to get their bigger 4K light next since it has same readouts.

I wouldn't worry about the holding up over time.

Batou00159

Enlightened
Their older products around the d10 era were built very well even if their electronics were not as reliable, the build quality current year will be about the same as other brands olight,fenix ect.

The products should hold up fine for most uses

Cliffjumper

Newly Enlightened
I own a dozen Nitecore lights. If I have a specific use case I'm trying to fill, it's the brand I look at first. I'll go to other brands if I'm just itching for a new light and want something to have as a toy. My oldest is an MH20, which is also my most beat up Nitecore. It's accidentally gone through the washer and dryer 3 times because I forgot to check my pockets before laundry day. Since I have more modern lights, it now sits in my drone backpack in case I get caught out after dark and need something reasonably bright.

The only issue I've had with a Nitecore light is with a recent E4K where the switch was just unreliable. It would routinely take up to 10 button clicks for the light to turn on. But Battery Junction made things right by exchanging it with another unit and they even opened & tested the replacement before shipping (at my request). Needless to say, the new one is working flawlessly.

I also own 4 Nitecore battery chargers. I have a pair of D4s, a D2, and the newest is a USM4, which I bought specifically to charge 21700s. The D series has treated me well. I probably wouldn't recommend a USM series unless you exclusively want to charge lithium-based batteries. I have many NiMH cells that my USM4 refuses to charge where my D chargers are perfectly happy with them. And many of these were brand-new, just out of the package batteries.

bobonit

Newly Enlightened
I have Nitecore EC23, HC60 Headlamp and some Tiki keychain lights. I have not had any issues with any of them. They work great. I also have the D4 charger which also works great.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not too well, actually. There are certain models that are fantastic. Tiki LE is one of the better keychain lights out there. Did a review of it on my YouTube channel. You can't replace the rechargeable battery. So eventually you'll have to replace the entire light. The Tube (especially V2.0) is another fantastic keychain light. Did a review of that one as well. Also non-replaceable battery. But for $9.99, who cares? Ideal if you want the slimmest and flattest keychain flashlight out there. Ideal as gifts for non-Flashaholics.

The TIP is garbage. Stay away from it. I own bigger Nitecore flashlights and overall have not been impressed with them in terms of build quality or reliability.

pertinax

Enlightened
Had one, used it for several years. Was quite happy until the first time I dropped it, and that was it. Something in the head broke, and I've been unable to unscrew the circular board to fix whatever broke-- I can hear it rattling around in there.

Company says out of warranty, and it is. Guess I should have dropped it sooner.

I'll stick to other brands.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few Nitecore "handheld" flashlights, plus over the years purchased dozens (combined total) of Tubes, TIPs, and TINIs. The keyhain lights were mostly to give away, and I don't know how most of the lights performed for gift recipients, but I've had multiple failures of the TIPs and TINIs that I carry. My brother has reported the same thing. The Tube has way outperformed the TIPs and TINIs in terms of longevity and reliability. Just the other night, I reached for the TINI, only to find the battery completely dead.

I think my first Nitecore was the TM06S. Loved the light, but then one of the four LEDS started malfunctioning, and now even with new 3500 mAh Nitecore batteries charged up in a Nitecore intellicharger, the flashlight doesn't last as long as it did in the beginning. Are the new batteries bad, or has the light developed a parasitic drain...?

All that being said, it is still interesting to see the new flashlights that Nitecore puts out.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yeah, I just completely stay away from any Nitecore keychain-sized lights with two buttons. It still amazes me that the ultra reliable Tube is made by the very same company.

tonkem

Enlightened
I would say that their lights are reliable, as I have 3 Nitecores and have had no issues with them. As with anything, if you care for them they should serve you well. I have an MH25s, MH12s, and P30. All are working as intended. I also own 5 or 6 Zebralights and a Noctigon Meteor, again with no issues. Mileage may vary depending on use case, as I only use my lights as walking lights, and not hard use.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I would say that their lights are reliable, as I have 3 Nitecores and have had no issues with them. As with anything, if you care for them they should serve you well. I have an MH25s, MH12s, and P30. All are working as intended. I also own 5 or 6 Zebralights and a Noctigon Meteor, again with no issues. Mileage may vary depending on use case, as I only use my lights as walking lights, and not hard use.
The buttons literally popped out of my Nitecore TIP less than 2 weeks owning it. Simply carried as a back-up to my main light. No hard use from me at all.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi CRI TIP is my most carried light source; used infrequently and briefly but turns on whenever needed. My handyman/remodeler friend has gone through more than half dozen TIP. Typically the flexible switch cover gets rubbed off. He switched to the TIP SE and seems to be ok with it.

I tried the TINI when it first came out then got one of those copper TINI. Annoying user interface (goes off after a minute or so) and slippery, difficult to access little buttons on a too small body for me. More than once found it to be without power for unknown reasons. A forgettable flashlight.

I still consider the TM-36 a quality, specialized tool even though it hasn't really been used much.