Noob needs help finding an EDC under $100, under $200.

Hal3134

Newly Enlightened
Can you recommend 2 knives to me? I'm a noobie to this forum, but have beenusing folding and fixed knives since my days as a Boy Scout. I currentlyEDC a Victorinox Swiss Army Classic on my keychain, but am looking forsomething a little beefier that I can slide into my pocket.
I'm looking for an everyday carry general utility left handed folding knife that I canopen with one hand. I'd like it to havea pocket clip. No spring assistedopening since I don't want to have to worry about carrying in New York,California, or other nanny-state locations. Blade length less than 4 inches, again to comply with the mostrestrictive state laws. Blade length greater than 3 inches seemsabout right, but I defer to you if you think a shorter blade is as useful. From a convenience viewpoint a shorter bladewould mean less volume in my pocket, which would be nice but not a must have. I'm just a little concerned that anything shorter than 3 inches loses its general utility purpose. I'd like the blade to be non-serrated. Budget is $100 or less forthe first knife, and $200 or less for the second. I only plan to buy one, but wanted to seewhat improvements I could get for the extra $100. If it's worth it, I might spring for it. I like ergonomics, so if the knife designerhas put some thought into this it would be nice.
For things I'd prefer but don't necessarily have to have:(1) lightweight and thin for fitting in my pocket; (2) tip up carry configuration so the knife isready to use as I slide it out of my pocket – can you do this without the clipinterfering with a comfortable grip? Maybe a reversible clip so I can play with it and decide for myselfwould be nice – You tell me if this is needed.; (3) a bottle opener would be nice, but no biggie ifit doesn't have one. I don't want tosacrifice any features of the knife to have this functionality; (4) lanyardhole – although I probably won't use one.
I'm not particular about the type of steel, but would preferone that isn't high maintenance either for rust prevention or for frequency ofsharpening. Preferred color for thehandle is likely black or other dark color. I don't care about the blade color.
I'll admit I'm generally not a fanof spyderco knives. I've never had one,though, so you might tell me that I need to reconsider. The reason I'm not a fan is that I think thattheir trademarked hole is less ergonomic for opening than a nub on the knifeblade as seen in most other one-handed openers. Again, correct me if I'm wrong. Also, the line that is formed by the sharp edge of the knife along theframe to the base of the handle seems to be moderately crescent shaped, whichwould have the knife blade angled forward if I held the handle perpendicular tomy forearm. This strikes me as beinganti-ergonomic, but again correct me if I'm wrong. I'll defer to you as to whether I need toreconsider my spyderco bias.

Thanks for your help.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately $30 more than your folder budget, but excellent design and excellent steel! For a pocket folder you don't get better for this price.

Copied the text...notice it linked...is that ok? Here, took out the link...just search for that.

Doug Ritter Orange Mini RSK MK1 Stone Washed M390 Blade (Knifeworks Exclusive)

forbes617

Newly Enlightened
I hope I can offer an opinion. I am left handed, live in MA (very strict), and have a pretty decent knife collection. I own about 15 knives in the 70$-1000$ range and have at one time or another, owned another 25 or so in the same range.

The first I would recommend is a Benchmade Mini Griptilian. You just cannot go wrong with it. Find one used for under 75$ or go to Benchmade website and customize your own for a little extra.

But the one that I believe fits all of your needs is a Fellhoetler Frickky. I say this because it is very small, does not lock which will help with legal issues in many states, takes up almost zero pocket space, has a lanyard hole, and has an awesome little built in bottle opener on the back. this will set you back 150$-180$, but I absolutely love mine. I carry it almost everyday.

You should be able to get a hold of a Frickky and a mini grip for well under your total budget of 300$

Best of luck

Hal3134

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I've looked each one up and studied it. They all look like nice knives.

On on my own, and not to be at all ungrateful for the guidance here, I've started looking at the rat model 2. It seems to be pretty good bang for the buck. I'm still looking for suggestions and thoughts as it will be a little while before I make my purchase as I am between jobs at the moment.

Hal3134

Newly Enlightened
The mini gryptilian is looking like a contender. Can someone give me a short explanation as to what I should be looking at as I try to compare knives? E.g., steel type x is superior to y for ..., locking mechanism z is better than y, etc.