Novatac 120P. Need help. Repair

walterr839

Enlightened
I have a several year old 120P that just quit working.
I understand Novatac is out of business.
Anyone have a suggestion for getting it back on service

Thanks

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, Need some more info. Did you check your spring & clean all the contacts first? I had one someone had lost the spring on. Make sure that is inside. Did you do any trouble shooting?

walterr839

Enlightened
I gave this as gift to a good friend and he just gave it back whe it stopped working.
The spring is there.
I'll' give a good cleaning tonight and get back
But how do you suggest I trouble shoot it?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, the 120p is a great little light, but it does have a few quirks.

While you've got the light apart getting ready to clean, check the retaining ring in the head and the tail cap. The retaining ring is what holds the tailcap switch in place and the head in place. It's the very thin silver disc at the bottom, inside the tailcap (and head), that has four small notches across from each other. Use a pair of tweezers (or other suitable tool) to tighten that disc clockwise. Same thing in the head, where the retaining ring holds the head unit in place.

Once you've tightened those, you'll want to check the main spring (the one that wraps around the battery and conducts controls signals from the tailcap to the head). It might need to be stretched a bit, but don't pull on the ends to stretch it, as this will make the diameter smaller and it might stick on the battery. You want to gently "unroll" it just a bit, which you do by grabbing one end on the left hand and one end in the right hand, with your fingers around the outside of the coil, then gently twist them counterclockwise (the end in the left hand twist away from you, the end in the right hand, twist toward you). Not too much, just a bit.

Ok, you're ready to clean. Electrical contact cleaner is best, but if you don't have that, isopropyl alcohol will work in a pinch, along with some Q-tips cotton swabs. Start with the tailcap. Just a bit of cleaner on the Q-tip, then get it down inside to clean the retaining ring you just tightened and that silver area just below that, as well as the tailcap spring.

Next the head. It's very important to hold the head up when you do this (with the opening facing down), as you don't want cleaner to run down inside where the electronics are. Clean around the edges where the tubes make contacts, and the silver area where the spring makes contact, and where the battery makes contact. Next clean both ends of the main spring and both ends of the battery.

Now, reassemble with a fresh battery and tighten all parts well. That should do it. If not, consider a full reset and try again. Good luck.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Derek Dean. I was coming back this am to see if he had any luck. I was going to suggest, Full Reset too. I got one back from the dead doing darn near exactly what you suggested above. Hope it works for him.

walterr839

Enlightened
Update

I've cleaned the contacts and spring
Got new battery
Bypassed the switch AND

All I got was a flicker or two

Now it's back to dead

I'm open to suggestions

Thanks

walterr839

Enlightened
Also

How does the pill come out

I've got the lens out but reflector and pill are firm and I do not see a retaining clip

thslw8jg

Enlightened
You have to unscrew the pill retaining ring on the battery positive side of the tube. It should unscrew counterclockwise and the pill will drop right out. Make sure this ring is tight as well as the retaining ring in the tailcap, this can cause electrical contact issues even if slightly loose. Good luck and keep us updated.

walterr839

Enlightened
I'm not seeing a retaining ring on the battery side of the pill.

All I see is the +ve central terminal with a maybe 2mm silver ring around it and a more peripheral silver ring that contacts the spring

Am I missing it completely?

Last edited:

thslw8jg

Enlightened
It is the peripheral outer ring that is threaded into the aluminum head. There are 4 notches that are used for loosening or tightening the ring. I use a adjustable camera lens tool that has points on one end and flat screwdriver ends on the other. You can measure the distance needed between the slots and use a piece of 16 gauge sheet metal cut to size to turn the retaining ring.

Latest posts