We need to talk about Olight

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Being completely independent can be a great thing, but there's also something to be said for having honest people with contacts within companies that are willing to speak up when needed.
Been my experience that such creatures don't actually exist. But I always keep an open mind. Thank you for the heads-up. I'm going to be spending a lot of time on that channel before reaching any decisions.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
I own just about evey Olight made. I have never had a single issue with any of them. They are my favorite flashlight maker. I do hate the new trend towards non changeable batteries and the new switch location, I'm a tail switch kind of guy.

I put lights to hard use, I've dropped them in oil, antifreeze, trans fluid, gas, diesel and even battery acid. I literally crused one legnth wise and though I could no longer remove the battery the light still worked perfectly. That was my fault left it stuck to the bottom of a large fork lift carriage while I was replacing hoses, forgot it, lowered the carriage from 7' and crunch. Dropped them from a few inches too 60 feet high. Lost one in a freezer, 1 year and 3 days later, it was recovered by an honest worker who brought it out and asked if it was the one I lost awhile ago. I knew the date thanx to Amazon storing purchase info. Battery didn't survive, but it was low on charge also. The light still working.

So for me I will always be an Olight fan, but I'm also fan of other brands and even a few cheap lights, they all have a purpose no matter the brand. I now buy cheaper made lights for work, but I will spoil myself with a nice one every now and then. Nitecore has become a favorite work light, great pocket-sized, durable lights. Have many of those, but I'm currently trying out the baton 4 with charger case and I gotta tell ya I like it a whole lot in spite of the switch location. Just my 2 cents

Buff

Enlightened
@Throwjunkie nice story. I am looking to buy my first Olight as i was prompted by GovX and noticed the sell Olight and Nitecore as well. The Baton 3 pro 1500lu and the Baton 4 are what i am considering. I notice the don't mention the batteries they use? Are they non removable? That will be a deal killer for me.
My ultimate goal is to have one of each maker. Olight, Nitecore and Fenix for starters. Just trying to choose the models i will actually put to use.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Throwjunkie nice story. I am looking to buy my first Olight as i was prompted by GovX and noticed the sell Olight and Nitecore as well. The Baton 3 pro 1500lu and the Baton 4 are what i am considering. I notice the don't mention the batteries they use? Are they non removable? That will be a deal killer for me.
My ultimate goal is to have one of each maker. Olight, Nitecore and Fenix for starters. Just trying to choose the models i will actually put to use.
Yes they are removable. The baton 4 runs a 16340 I believe. The 3 pro is an 18650. They are proprietary cells though. They come with them and more are available for purchase should you for some reason need them. I'm not sure where you are looking, but they definitely mention what batteries they use on the website.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Let me know if you decide on a Baton 3 Pro Max. I have a black one here that's never been used, only sitting on my desk. We can strike a great deal.

Buff

Enlightened
image.jpg

One down!
image.jpg

Love this thing.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In order to get an idea how it throws @Buff look at the candela number (if available). Higher numbers for a given lumen output means better throw.

Example: a 500 lumen light with 12,000 candela throws better than a 500 lumen light with 9,000 candela (cd). Lux is another measure but isn't listed as often as cd.
Many of the modern LED's have a wider "globe" if you will so they disperse light more than the older narrow ones.

Last edited:

Buff

Enlightened
Yes i learned that here and considered it. Thanks for mentioning it for others that may not know. I had considered it but being i have several throwers i went with it and like it a lot.
A lot of the information listed will also show how many meters or feet a light will throw. High lumen lights with a low distance compared to a same /lower lumen that has a much longer distance. Flood vs Throw. But yes they usually list the candela as well.
I find it all "Enlightening" personally.

SKV89

Enlightened
I own dozens of Olights. I love their design, reliability, ultra premium feel, and super high efficiency drivers. However, I hate the LED option. They are all CW, no high CRI. The few times they offer NW and WW options, the tint is horrible, positive DUV, greenish yellowish mess. I tried many times sending Olight emails and posting on their facebook requesting that they start procuring NW, WW, high CRI emitters with good tint but to no avail. That's why most of the flashlights I actually use are Hank lights and Firefly lights that offer the best premium LED options.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own dozens of Olights. I love their design, reliability, ultra premium feel, and super high efficiency drivers. However, I hate the LED option. They are all CW, no high CRI. The few times they offer NW and WW options, the tint is horrible, positive DUV, greenish yellowish mess. I tried many times sending Olight emails and posting on their facebook requesting that they start procuring NW, WW, high CRI emitters with good tint but to no avail. That's why most of the flashlights I actually use are Hank lights and Firefly lights that offer the best premium LED options.
It's unlikely they are to do so. They care about efficiency and output above all else. All of those options you want goes into complete contradiction to that. Not saying I agree with it. But it's how they are

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
The only way you'll ever get a good hi CRI emitter with a plasant tint in an Olight is if you do it yourself. Olight is all about the highest numbers possible to put on marketing papers, and that automatically means emitters with shoddy light quality.

Buff

Enlightened
So my Arkfeld has a built in battery with a proprietary magnetic charging cable. No complaints but i wonder what i do if i loose the cable? Are there any other options out there?
In the event i should misplace my cable is this an accessory i could buy from Olight?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
So my Arkfeld has a built in battery with a proprietary magnetic charging cable. No complaints but i wonder what i do if i loose the cable? Are there any other options out there?
In the event i should misplace my cable is this an accessory i could buy from Olight?
Is it a standard mcc cable?

I just looked it up and yes, it's a standard cable. So yes, you would need to buy a replacement from Olight

Monocrom

Flashaholic
They sell their cables separately. Might as well pick up a spare.