Old Black Diamond Spot main LED repair solution

jimdays

Newly Enlightened
I have an old Black Diamond Spot headlamp, the one with 3 LEDs for reading and 1 bright LED for bike riding. (No red LED or power meter). Problem was the bright LED stopped working, making it useless for biking. I took it apart (removed the 2 screws and pried it apart). The bright LED assembly (LED with attached heat sink) just fell out. I could see that the 2 solder pads that held the LED assembly in place had corroded and let go. I cleaned up the solder pads and resoldered the LED assembly in place. To do this, I had to temporarily put 2 screws and nuts through the assembly to hold it precisely in place on the circuit board. A lot of heat is required to melt the solder to attach the assembly. I used some toilet paper to insulate my hand as I used additional hand pressure on the heat sink to keep the LED assembly snugly in place. Now the headlamp works fine.

SuperTrouperLee

Newly Enlightened
I have an old Black Diamond Spot headlamp, the one with 3 LEDs for reading and 1 bright LED for bike riding. (No red LED or power meter). Problem was the bright LED stopped working, making it useless for biking. I took it apart (removed the 2 screws and pried it apart). The bright LED assembly (LED with attached heat sink) just fell out. I could see that the 2 solder pads that held the LED assembly in place had corroded and let go. I cleaned up the solder pads and resoldered the LED assembly in place. To do this, I had to temporarily put 2 screws and nuts through the assembly to hold it precisely in place on the circuit board. A lot of heat is required to melt the solder to attach the assembly. I used some toilet paper to insulate my hand as I used additional hand pressure on the heat sink to keep the LED assembly snugly in place. Now the headlamp works fine.

Great job!