• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Olight L5 Pro: When is it coming?

1c3d0g

Newly Enlightened
26650 flashlights are the new future. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of this excellent flashlight. I wonder how it would compare with Olight's own Mini-Intimidator II.

DMS1970

Enlightened
I'm thinking about preordering a non Pro version to play with while I'm waiting for the pro to release. What is difference between the 2 LEDs? Assuming the reflector is the same for each model, they should have similar shaped beams? It looks like expected ship dates for the non pro are around 6/18. There are more than a couple sites offering preorder, but olight doesn't seem to be offering it on their site yet

Last edited:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is bound to be confusion during the sales of this light - the R50 vs the R50 pro?

Questions like "are you selling the pro or non-pro version? Stuff like that. Some sales reps won't know the difference and result in sending the wrong light to their customer.

I propose to Olight the 'R50 Pro' be renamed as the 'R70'.

The R50 is appropriately named since it uses the XHP50 LED, therefore, why not name the 'Pro" version with the XHP70 LED as the R70 ?

The R50 Pro is also significantly different than the R50: a bigger LED, a shorter body, and a completely different charging method and tailcap. All of this should warrant a completely different name, IMHO.

Last edited:

1c3d0g

Newly Enlightened
I concur. Naming it R70 would eliminate A LOT of confusion surrounding the lights, especially to the uninitiated.

Wendee

Enlightened
[...]
The R50 is appropriately named since it uses the XHP50 LED, therefore, why not name the 'Pro" version with the XHP70 LED as the R70 ?

The R50 Pro is also significantly different than the R50: a bigger LED, a shorter body, and a completely different charging method and tailcap. All of this should warrant a completely different name, IMHO.

That makes so much sense. :thumbsup:
I wonder if it's too late for them to change the name to "R70"?

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Olight L5/R50 Pro: When is it coming?

My guess is R50 or R70 both probably look like chicken fingerprints to the folks at Olight. I base this on the fact that their writing looks like that to us westerners.

Sometimes I write a note to myself, and when reading it later, I think it's chicken fingerprints! LOL
"Lost in Translation"

Last edited:

DMS1970

Enlightened

Found a site that shows the blue trim is the R50, and what looks like copper trim is the r50 pro, Both lights look like they will be exactly the same size, someone here mentioned a different body length on the pro. You can also see the curvature of the r50 which was stated to be a concave surface. I think the lens might be a sort of TIR?

Found them here: http://www.fonarik4you.ru/category/fonari-olight/

image.jpg
image.jpg

I cant ant seem to get my pics to embed. They also resize when uploading they are very high resolution on the site.

Last edited:

Wendee

Enlightened

Found a site that shows the blue trim is the R50, and what looks like copper trim is the r50 pro, Both lights look like they will be exactly the same size, someone here mentioned a different body length on the pro. You can also see the curvature of the r50 which was stated to be a concave surface. I think the lens might be a sort of TIR?

Found them here: http://www.fonarik4you.ru/category/fonari-olight/
[...]

I used online translation (Russian) for the R50 Pro and the last sentence of the description translated to "Pri appearance of food in the house , turn off the lamp" :laughing: I wonder what the correct translation is. I don't see a price for the light on the webpage.

It comes with an Olight 4500 mAh 26650 battery. I've read that Olight makes a "proprietary 26650". I hope that any brand of 26650 will work with this light so that I'm not limited to one brand when buying backup and/or replacement batteries.

I wonder when we'll hear more from Olight. I'll bet it will be very soon. :)

DMS1970

Enlightened

I used online translation (Russian) for the R50 Pro and the last sentence of the description translated to "Pri appearance of food in the house , turn off the lamp" :laughing: I wonder what the correct translation is. I don't see a price for the light on the webpage.

It comes with an Olight 4500 mAh 26650 battery. I've read that Olight makes a "proprietary 26650". I hope that any brand of 26650 will work with this light so that I'm not limited to one brand when buying backup and/or replacement batteries.

I wonder when we'll hear more from Olight. I'll bet it will be very soon. :)

I thought I read that you can swap any battery, but they may not function with the internal charger. You will be able to buy additional Olight batteries that WILL function though.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used online translation (Russian) for the R50 Pro and the last sentence of the description translated to "Pri appearance of food in the house , turn off the lamp" :laughing: I wonder what the correct translation is. ...
Please see if this makes sense: When the power returns in the house, lights turn off.

Phlogiston

Enlightened

Please see if this makes sense: When the power returns in the house, lights turn off.

Is this one of those lights that turns on automatically if there's a power cut while it's on the charger, and back off again when power is restored?

Wendee

Enlightened

I found a French site selling the R50 Pro. Availability unknown (pre-order available? I was able to put one in my "cart")

Site Link: http://www.htmoi974.eu/olight-olight-r50-pro-3200-lumens.html

Here are the stats they give. I'll do a rough translation but it's easy to understand the output levels/runtimes in French.

Olight R50 pro 3200 lumens
Led XHP-50 ou XPH-70(why do they say 50 or 70?)
3200 lumens 1min30 puis 2h30 en 1000 lumens (3200 lumens 1.5 minutes then 2.5 hrs at 1000 lumens)
1500 lumens 10 min puis 2h50 en 1000 lumens (1500 lumens 10 minutes then 2 hours & 50 minutes at 1000 lumens)
400 lumens 6h00 (400 lumens 6 hours)
60 lumens 50h00 (60 lumens 50 hours)
Portée 280 metres (throw 280 meters)

They say it comes with a 4000mAh (not 4500mAh, not sure why) 26650 battery that the site calls the "R50 battery" (proprietary?).
I don't see any information about over-discharge protection or any other technical details on that site. Is it a protected 26650, I wonder?

I'm curious to know how this compares to the regular R50 (not Pro) and other 26650 lights. The R50 Pro has magnetic charging base and 3200 lumens for 1.5 minutes (longer than I thought it would be). I think the price says 159 Euros, which converts to about $188.00 US? I could be wrong... :shrug: If that's the correct price then it's a bit out of my price range. :(

I wonder if Olight would do a group buy? :D

Last edited:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wendee - good find.

yes, the price is high and so is the low mode at 60 lumens. I was hoping for maybe $130 and a low of 10-20 lumens. Of course, a retail of $188 will probably become $160 on the internet.

Skeeterg

Enlightened

Group buy would be awesome :twothumbs

1c3d0g

Newly Enlightened

Group buy would be awesome :twothumbs
I agree!!! ;) I can't wait for this light any longer. Even my Orbtronic 26650 battery has arrived and is eagerly awaiting being used! :crackup:

DMS1970

Enlightened

My thoughts are that the non pro will come out ahead of the pro, maybe as a teaser. More so if they are experiencing some difficulties managing the heat on the pro. Plus going gear is showing presale on the non pro, but Olight has not authorized them to list a presale on the pro. If they come out at the same time, I would just buy both to play with.

DMS1970

Enlightened

I picked up an S35 baton today, older technology, 380 lumens off 3 AA batteries. Typical Olight UI, which I love. I have to say, this is a great light. I can't imagine a light that is only 1/4" longer and 1/4" larger in diameter having max 2500 or 3200 lumens. No wonder I'm so excited about these lights.

Olightworld

Enlightened

We are very sorry for the delay everyone. As soon as we have more information I will keep you updated. Thanks for your patience.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast

We are very sorry for the delay everyone. As soon as we have more information I will keep you updated. Thanks for your patience.
It takes time to make a good light, or out the bugs, tweak the performance just a bit more. A reliable, high performance light is worth the wait.